Star Lounger
    Thanks

Question Windows7x64 Running XP mode on Virtual PC who installs first?

To run some 32 bit software I want to install WindowsXP and Virtual PC. But.. in trying not to screw it up... I have found conflicting advice on which one to install first. The MS website implies (?) you install WindowsXP first.. but.. I have found some forum chat where the implication is that you install the Virtual PC part first.

Can someone please clarify this for me..

Thank you for your time
    Ralph

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    You must be running Windows 7 Pro, Enterprise, or Ultimate to run XP mode. If you can run XP mode install Virtual PC first.

Joe

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you Joe.
    That is what most comments on the forums say.. but it contradicts the implied instructions from MS

Administrator
    Thanks
    Well, upon further investigation I stand corrected. See the instructions in the file - Windows XP mode How to guide.

Joe

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP517 View Post
    Well, upon further investigation I stand corrected. See the instructions in the file - Windows XP mode How to guide.

I think you were right the first time, Joe. Page 4 of the pdf implies you need Virtual PC before you can install XP Mode. What did you see to make you change your mind?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    XP mode is downloaded and installed first, then Virtual PC and if you do not have SP1 you need an XP mode update. The Microsoft XP mode download page states this clearly: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/vir.../download.aspx

Administrator
    Thanks
    The PDF clearly states that the steps are as RUI states in post #6.

Joe

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    For what it is worth. I elected to follow the MS routine. Installed WindowsXP.. it installs and nothing appears. Installed the #2 file downloaded.. it is a update package.. nothing to indicate it is the "VirtualPC". Requires a system restart. On restarting I have Windows VirtualPC on my start menu.. but it is empty. Clicking on All Programs there is the tab Windows VirtualPC as well and opening it there I have WindowsXP. Clicking on that starts the configuration process. Agree to the terms.. add a password.. wait a bit and the old WindowsXP starts. prompted to select auto updates and a antivirus program.
    I elected to install it in the default location C:\Program Files where it installs in one folder (Windows XP Mode) and seems to use up some 1.13 GB.

Now to see if it works as MS claims

Thanks for all the feed back

Thanks
    When I installed it on my 64-bit laptop a few months ago, I installed VPC first, then XP Mode. No blips, no beeps, no boops, runs fine. However, XP Mode will not allow 16-bit apps to be installed.

On my 64-bit desktop, I installed Virtual Box from Oracle, then installed retail XP SP3 32-bit, and it will allow 16-bit apps to install and run normally.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    And a follow up.. it seems I then needed to disable integration before I could install my software... There is no just no end to the fun