New Lounger
    Thanks

Paragon Alignment Tool 3.0 problems

Hi all, Having read the article in the latest WS newsletter I downloaded and ran PAT. It aligned one drive OK but then overnight came up with an error message so I used the recovery CD to get things going again. Now, where I had two internal Samsung HDDs (same model, both data drives and neither the boot drive) with different data, I now have the same data on both drives.

Is there a way to recover the original data?

Any help appreciated!

Thanks, Gary
    Last edited by Bowering; 2012-10-05 at 22:21. Reason: More information

Thanks
    Fred explained it best:

"But, as mentioned earlier, I opted for a commercial product — the $30 Paragon Alignment Tool (site). It corrects disk alignment on the fly: it does not require a reformat. The tool was very easy to use and performed exactly as advertised.

Of course, before using any alignment tool, make a full, verified backup and store the backup off the drive that you’ll be working on."

Did you follow Fred's advice?

If you did not make a full, verified backup, you're probably looking at spending a great deal of time with file recovery software, which may or may not work in this case. I would start at the Paragon site to see if they have some advice for such a circumstance.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Modern hard disks don't necessarily put your data where you think it should be because they map bad sectors to spare sectors internally and don't tell the operating system they have done this.
    Alignment is only of any benefit in very high intensity disk activity and that is most likely to be in a commercial environment, not at home. I'd spend the money on a good backup program and sleep easier at night knowing my data was safe.

cheers, Paul

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks

Thank - I did a back-up of the data so will restore and get my money back from Paragon.