New Lounger
    Thanks

system stops responding

i have windows 7 ultimate x64 and occasionally my wired keyboard and mouse will turn off while the computer is up and running. i've never had any problem with the system recognizing them on start-up, and they work fine otherwise. when they stop working, the lights shut off like they are receiving no power. i thought this may have something to do with using them in usb 3.0 slots, but i've since switched the mouse to a usb 2.0 slot and the keyboard is connected through a ps/2 port. i've also switched out both the keyboard and the mouse to different wired keyboard and mouse, but the problem persists. nothing stands out to me in the system logs, and the timing seems quite random. when this happens, unplugging and plugging the mouse or keyboard into another usb slot has no effect. i also noted that i get no characteristic tone when unplugging any usb device. additionally, while in this state, i am unable to remote desktop into the system. this seems to indicate it's not just a keyboard/mouse issue.

when searching this forum for answers, i came across this post, which linked to this hotfix that lists the similar symptoms to what i have. i tried installing the hotfix, but it says it won't work on my system. i did a fresh install of windows not too long ago (perhaps a couple months) but the problem persists. the only way to get my computer working again is to hard boot it, which i hate doing with any regularity.

additional info: i've updated all drivers, software, and bios. my system is a desktop that is always on ac power. my system is not sluggish in the least when operating properly. the hottest spot in my system is 41C, which is my video card; everything else is 20~30C.

how can i fix this?
    Last edited by jak001; 2012-10-11 at 10:26.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I don't have a good answer but until someone does try running a malware scan. Funnier thing have happened.
    Use Malwarebytes to start.

Thanks
    Also wouldn't hurt to do a memory check. Click on the Start orb and type memory. Click on Windows Memory Diagnostic and follow the prompts.

Jerry

New Lounger
    Thanks
    malwarebytes, spybot search and destroy, avira antivir, and a bitdefender boot disc scan all return nothing. (the only resident scanner is avira, so these antimalware software shouldn't be causing a conflict that would result in my issue.) memory check showed 8 gigs all working properly.
    Last edited by jak001; 2012-10-11 at 23:32.

Thanks
    Have you made sure that you have the latest available drivers for your motherboard?
    Create a new drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"Let them that don't want it have memories of not gettin' any." "Gratitude is riches and complaint is poverty and the worst I ever had was wonderful." Brother Dave Gardner "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else." Sir Thomas Robert Deware. "The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Do you understand?" Captain Jack Sparrow.
    Unleash Windows

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have read in many online posts that a flaky power supply can cause "unexplained" problems.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    @bbearren - i've updated all drivers.
    @nate01pa - i have more than enough power coming into the box, and i'm not overclocking anything. i've seen no other indication that my psu is faulty in any way.

fwiw - here are my full system specs

GigaByte GA-P67A-UD7-B3 mobo (on-board dual Gigabit NIC, high def 7.1, etc.)
    1,100 Watts - CyberPowerPC Gaming Power Supply SLI/CrossFireX Ready
    Intel Core i7-2600K 3.40 GHz 8M Intel Smart Cache LGA1155
    8GB Corsair (2GBx4) DDR3/2000MHz Dual Channel Memory Module
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 580 3GB 16X PCIe
    2x2TB SATA-III 6.0Gb/s 64MB Cache 7200RPM HDD, no RAID, AHCI
    Ralink PCI Wireless IEEE 802.11b/g/n 300Mbps PCI Wireless Adapter Network Card
    Pioneer BDR-206BK 12X Blu-Ray Writer
    Sony 24X Double Layer Dual Format DVD+-R/+-RW + CD-R/RW Drive
    CoolerMaster Storm Quick Fire Rapid keyboard via PS/2
    Gigabyte GM-M6800 mouse
    NZXT Sentry-2 Fan Touch Screen Fan Control & Temperature Display
    Asetek 550LC Liquid Cooling System 120MM Radiator & Fan on processor
    Logitech Z-506 5.1 Surround Speakers
    Avermedia AVerTV PCIE Media Center TV Tuner
    INTERNAL 12in1 Flash Media Reader/Writer
    ActiveIdentity smartcard reader
    Logitech HD Pro Webcam C910
    Coolermaster HAF-X Gaming Full Tower Case
    HP 2159m monitor

Thanks
    Since you've already tried different keyboard/mouse to no effect, the problem is more than likely either motherboard or PSU, leaning more toward motherboard.

That being said, a couple of years ago I replaced a motherboard for a customer, and just a couple of days later, I had to replace it again; same symptoms. My power supply tester had shown the PSU to be good, and the PSU self-test (green light flash-codes) showed good. After installing the third motherboard (RMA'd the first two), I replaced the PSU with a known-good unit and kept his machine for a week, power-cycling it many times. It ran fine; no issues.

I replaced my known-good PSU with a new PSU, and returned the PC to my customer. It's still running just fine. I still can't say with 100% certainty that the PSU was bad, because it passed all tests. However, replacing it with a new one eliminated the problem.
    Create a new drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"Let them that don't want it have memories of not gettin' any." "Gratitude is riches and complaint is poverty and the worst I ever had was wonderful." Brother Dave Gardner "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else." Sir Thomas Robert Deware. "The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Do you understand?" Captain Jack Sparrow.
    Unleash Windows

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    It could indeed be the PSU as it may have failed on only one of the voltage outputs and if that happens to be what supplies power to the USB circuits then it could be the problem ( the clue is where you say the lights go out on the mouse or keyboard which can only mean loss of power).
    Could also be worth re-seating all plugs and connectors in case one is not making firm connections to all pins.

Only way to be sure is to see if you can borrow another PSU for a while to see if problem clears. As bbearren did.
    Last edited by curiousclive; 2012-10-13 at 12:55.
    Clive

All typing errors are my own work and subject to patents pending. Except errors by the spell checker. And that has its own patients.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    i went through and re-installed most of my drivers and haven't had the problem since. i did, however, manage to create a whole new problem for myself as the intel rapid storage technology magically kicked back in a raid 1-like configuration that was originally set at the factory. needless to say, i've got a whole new set of problems now... but like i said, at least for now, i've not had my computer freeze again. if the problem comes back, i'll have to look into a new psu.

thanks all for your help!