3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Can't find hiberfil.sys

I have a puzzle. I had my PC set up to sleep and was having issues with it not waking properly.

I went to look for Hiberfil.sys on the C drive but it doesn't appear.

I have hide hidden files and system files unchecked.

I've done some searches and haven't found a solution.

Anyone have any ideas?
    George

New Lounger
    Thanks

re: Can't find hiberfil.sys

The hiberfil.sys file is located at C:hiberfil.sys If it is not there then you apparently have hibernation turned off. To turn it on: enter power options in the start menu search box, click Power Options at the top of the list. When the window opens click change advanced power settings. In the Power Options / Advanced settings window scroll down to Sleep. Expand Sleep and then expand Allow hybrid sleep. Click Setting. In the drop down box choose On. Next expand Hibernate after and click Setting. Enter the number of minutes to go into hibernation. This number will count down after sleep starts. Next Click the OK button and close the Edit Plan Settings window. Hibernation should now work and will auto create the C:hiberfil.sys file.

P.S. The file hiberfil.sys may not show up until hibernation actually starts
    Last edited by S. Adair; 2012-10-06 at 13:53. Reason: added P.S.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the reply s.Adair.

However, I had sleep set to happen after 60 minutes and couldn't find hiberfil.sys in the root of C.

I tried to follow your instructions but you must have a different version of windows 7. My version is Home Premium. I don't get exactly the same options. For example Allow Hybrid Sleep doesn't show on my system.

I've tried turning sleep on and off, re-booting etc. but no luck. The only thing I noticed is a delay on first boot after turning sleep on. I assume this might be Windows creating hiberfil.sys, although I still can't find it.

BTW even without sleep set to a time, there is still a sleep option on thev shutdown drop down list.
    George

New Lounger
    Thanks

re: Hibernation

I, too, have Windows 7 Home Premium. I forgot to mention that in the Power Options / Advanced settings window under Sleep you need to set the amount of time to go to sleep to the same as on the Edit Plans Settings window, i.e. 60 seconds for your one hour.

It could be possible that you will need to click Change settings that are currently unavailable in the Power Options / Advanced settings window in order to see the Allow hybrid sleep setting. Once you change the setting it will show up every time you need to change your power options.

It's been a while since I changed my power plan that I forgot about the hidden options.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks again, but no luck. Haven't seen any reference to Hybrid in those settings.
    George

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    You probably have hibernate turned off to turn it back on and show in the advanced power option go to this help post
    Clive

All typing errors are my own work and subject to patents pending. Except errors by the spell checker. And that has its own patients.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Hibernation

You or I may have a customized version of Windows 7. I found this on another forum:

"...starting with Windows Vista, you have to use the following command in Command Prompt:

powercfg /hibernate {on|off}"

To use the above command to turn on hibernation type in a Command Prompt: powercfg /hibernate on

(To open a Command Prompt type cmd.exe in the start search box and click it.)

For more information you might try these links from Google.

Thanks
    Sleep will not set a hiberfil.sys file, only Hibernate will. Post #7 shows the proper method to turn Hibernate on. Personally I do not like it, but to each his own
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    Going back further than I care to remember, the list of complaints about Hibernate and Sleep would take a book like the N.Y. phone directory. Get the picture?
    They are NOT RELIABLE and you are ahead of the game if you leave them both Shut OFF.
    That Hiberfil.sys file is one huge waste of valuable hard drive space.

You're much better off to just shut off your computer when you're not using it. Give it a rest!

The Doctor
    Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!

Thanks
    I've got to disagree with the Doc above.

I have been using hybrid sleep on my PC since W7 came out (I must have missed it with Vista) and it works a treat for me.

Not only does my PC start up rather damn quick, it also serves as my alarm clock!

ETA Ted, Hybrid sleep also uses the hiberfil.sys file.
    Last edited by Browni; 2012-10-07 at 00:53.

Thanks
    I've never used Sleep, but I've always used hibernation on my laptops, and I've never had a problem. Close the lid, it hibernates; open the lid, it resumes Windows; that's it. It's much quicker than a cold boot. But then, I'm not listed in the New York phone book, either.

I just brought my Dell D800 out of hibernation for the first time since August 9 (just to see how long it's been), according to the last update for Microsoft Security Essentials. And as I was expecting, Windows Update also says I have updates available. I'll get everything updated, let the battery fully recharge, then hibernate it again. I bought this laptop in June, 2003; that's almost nine and a half years using hibernation (beginning with XP, the original OS, through Windows 7, now a dual-boot) without a single problem. It only gets a restart to finish Windows Updates that need it, or to boot the other OS.

It may have something to do with the way I have Windows carved up into separate partitions/logical drives. My hiberfil.sys is 1.5GB, my C: logical drive has 12.3 GB free of 34.8GB total, but it's not likely to get filled, since nothing gets added there other than Windows Updates, of which 17 are now being installed, so the laptop will get a rare restart. Since I'm having to restart for the Windows 7 Updates, I'll boot into XP and get that updated, too.

My desktop is never turned off; all of my system maintenance, except for drive imaging, is handled by Task Scheduler.

Oh, and hard drive space used to be valuable; it's pretty cheap these days, roughly 10GB/$, and cheaper than that on sale.

Last edited by bbearren; 2012-10-07 at 08:21.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Browni View Post
    ETA Ted, Hybrid sleep also uses the hiberfil.sys file.
    Ahhh, but Hybrid Sleep is not Sleep. I do use the normal Sleep during the day, shutting down my PC at night. I do not have a hiberfil.sys file. As Doc states I believe this is a huge space waster, especially for those PC's that are running low on space.

We each use what works for us. With Win 8 my boots are quick enough that I see no reason to use Hibernation, or even Hybrid Sleep. They are both disabled in our laptops.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    OK, Thanks to post 7 I was able to get to see the hybrid sleep option. I now have a hyberfil.sys file. Odd that it takes a DOS command to get it turned on.

I was under the impression that sleep and hibernate were the same thing. Obviously not.

OK, I guess a little research into the difference is in order. :-)
    George

Thanks
    George,

MS has a page describing sleep and hibernate.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    OK, research complete. now I know.
    George