Lounger
    Thanks

In YOUR opinion, what's the best anti-spyware/malware program?

I'm using AVG 2013 Free for AV - I used to use Counter Spy as my malware protection but GFI have stopped supporting it so I need to get a new program, (obviously the freer the better although I don't mind paying!). I prefer not to use combined AV/anti-malware packages, so I thought I'd see what you all recommend.

Thanks in advance.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Bodger,

If you search this forum you'll find as many opinions as there are products. Generally the accepted method is to have more than one product. However, you will only have one ACTIVE product {scanning all the time the computer is running} and one or more secondary products that you use to scan on demand if you think something is amiss to check if your active product missed something as no single product is perfect!

My recommended products are:

Active Scanner: Microsoft Security Essentials
    On Demand Scanner: Malwarebytes Free

I also use Windows Defender Offline Beta (boots from a CD or USB Key) since it runs with out your Windows, which may be deeply infected, running to cause interference.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    I use Emsisoft Antimalware. Great product, light on resources, repeatedly ranked on top in malware detection tests. Can be used with other active scanners.

Thanks
    You are using a very good product already. I use AVG 2013 AV free on my PC and MSE on my wife's.

Security is a multilayered thing. The AV is one part. I also use MalwareBytes Antimalware Pro, Windows Firewall and a H/W firewall in my router. The most important part is the user themselves. Good surfing and computing habits go a long way toward keeping nasties off your PC.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    You are the best anti virus program, software just makes it easier to be lazy.

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    MBAM, or Malwarebytes Anti-Malware is still highly rated/valued as far as malware detection/removal is concerned.
    MSE is good in that it has both malware and virus detection capabilities in a very resource light form that's easily compatible with the above.

Whatever selections you decide on just confine it to the well known, and avoid anything vague and relatively unheard of
    by most professional reviewers.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    CounterSpy is antispyware, which is unnecessary. The need for separate antispyware died out years ago, which is probably why CounterSpy is being discontinued. Modern antivirus software covers all malware, includeing spyware. With your AVG AntiVirus Free 2013, the Windows firewall turned on, and the free Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool (works in the background and automatically installs the latest version when you update the operating system every month), you have everything you need; there's no need for anything else. Also, make sure you are accessing the internet through a limited account, not the administrator account.

Thanks
    I use Vipre Internet Security 2013 (http://www.vipreantivirus.com/). In the past, when it was CounterSpy, it was highly rated, and I've never felt the need to change to anything else.

I'm a bit leery of using a free product for something this important. If it's free, the vendor might not be very motivated to keep up with all the threats. The one exception to that rule for me is Microsoft Security Essentials. Microsoft has so much money, they aren't worried about giving away MSE. And Fred Langa highly recommends it, based on his own testing.

But you asked me for my opinion, not Fred's, and so I vote for Vipre Internet Security.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul T View Post
    You are the best anti virus program, software just makes it easier to be lazy.
    Paul has it exactly right. I see machines every week with full Norton-whatever, AVG, MSE, McAfee, NOD(eset), Avira, TrendMicro, and all the rest, fully infected.

There is no "best" so go with one that fits your budget and matches the way you work on a PC. My recommendation is MSE for real-time scanning, and MalwareBytes free version for the occasional scans. Once in a while run an offline scanner. (RETIREDGEEK: WDO is no longer beta and I agree it's a great tool.)

Whatever you do, and there are lots of good choices, don't use two real-time scanners simultaneously. The Norton product pushed by Comcast is good and free, but the damned installers don't check what you may already have, and I fix the resulting computer-molasses mess frequently.

-John

mart44
    I'm using Bitdefender Internet Security at present. Always near or at the top in AV comparison charts. This isn't my primary protection against malware though. Sandboxie is what does that for me. It prevents any chance of drive-by infections. In theory, Bitdefender would only be called on to do its job if any malware were to get out of the sandbox, or if manually retrieved from the sandbox and invited onto the computer. E-mail attachments saved to the Desktop can be run sandboxed. Downloaded programs can be installed inside the sandbox until trusted enough to install to the system.

Thanks
    You're using the same AV as myself, there's nothing at all wrong with AVG 2013 Free. Don't let the "free" in the name fool you, it's highly configurable & likely meets the needs of most users.

Whatever you do, stay away from Trend Micro's products, not only are they huge resource pigs, the labeling is false advertising. Their packages says Internet Security, which normally includes a Firewall. The one that I got, Trend Micro Titanium Internet Security 2012 for $9.99 at Newegg w/$40 discount key (a Kingston G3 4GB Flash drive was included), does NOT contain a Firewall at all. Not to mention that the notebook (the one that I setup for my wife) was slow as molasses.

After three months, I removed it, & replaced it with the latest MSE beta (I get these through MS Connect) & the laptop fires up & runs like a champ again, that was proof alone that Trend Micro was the culprit. MSE is fine running with XP, as I also have MBAM Pro installed.

The bundled 4GB Flash drive was the only good thing that I got in the deal. And the software is not transferable to another computer, not that I want to reinstall it anyway.

Trend Micro's software should be free.

Cat
    My System Specs:

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/N...gWw3zT1A30RkV3 MSI Notebook (OEM Win 7 Pro x64)

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/8...3hQlSkXzuDfbKb Dell XPS 8700 w/Windows 8

Thanks
    I now have installed AVG 2013 AV free on our 2 laptops running Win 8 Pro with Media Center and both are working well. AVG definitions are updated regularly. It also includes email and browsing protection.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy