New Lounger
    Thanks

How do I transfer data from an old Tandy 4D?

I have a good working Tandy Model 4D. Years ago I wrote a number of Basic programs to store data on over 2000 service manuals, Make, model, location, etc.
    I now want to get the data back & put in on my current win 7 system to be able to read & modify the data as well as print out the listing.
    I do have all the technical ref. manuals for the system as well as a great collection of TRS 80 manuals.
    Any help would be appreciated.

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    CA.BC,

Welcome to the lounge as a new poster.

Ah the TRS-80...brings back fond memories of my first computer.

IMHO your best bet would be to use FTP to get the data up to the cloud via your modem. I'd first convert the data file to a .csv {comman separated value} file so you can import it into Access or Excel or the Libre Office equivalents once you get it on your new machine.

Good Luck.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

VBA Rules!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for your quick reply.
    Yes a modem would be the answer with FTP & the conversion of the data - know where I can get a modem that will work with this unit?

Thanks
    CA.BC,

If you don't have one I'd google "RS232 Modem". You'll probably be stuck dealing with EBay. Of course you could pull a heist at a Museum!

Another option is RS232 to USB. There are quite a few adapter cables available on Amazon and New Egg. Your proglem here would be the software to transfer the files. Again a lot of googling will be involved.

Good Luck.
    Last edited by RetiredGeek; 2012-10-08 at 08:44.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

VBA Rules!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs