4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Wireless USB Adapter

After having set up my wireless connection with the Netgear N300 Wireless USB adapter, using strong security inclusive of "WPA2, if I should decide to do my on-line banking via a hardwire internet connection, can I remove the wireless USB adapter from my computer until I have finished my on-line banking and then replace the wireless USB adapter without having to re-setup the wireless connection again?

Thank you for your guidance on this and for all the help I have received from you of the Lounge regarding a wireless USB connection. Have a Good one everyone....

moon

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    I just do my banking directly over my wireless connection. Have been for several years. Never a problem.

I believe you can open Network Sharing Center, select Change Network Adapter, choose the wireless connection and disable it. If you have a laptop, mine has a switch on the front that works very nicely.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you Medico. I am very relieved to learn that wireless banking is safe with the proper security measures installed.

Have a good one...

Moon

Thanks
    The cautions against using wireless for banking are for using it with public hotspots - a real no no without VPN.

Jerry

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you Jerry. I am adverse to using public hotspots in general, and I definitely would not use it for banking. However, now that you have made me aware of VPN, coupled with the little reading I have just done on it, the whole complexion of internet usage in public hotspots changes; if I could get VPN at a later date I would do so and feel secure in its usage in public hotspots.

Have a very Good one...

Thanks
    Moon:

Set up your router with an access list of allowed MAC addresses. Put all of your MAC addresses in the list. It then won't allow any devices to connect via your router unless their MAC address is on the access list.

Also, on some routers, you can set it so that no wirelessly connected device has access to anything except the internet; no printers, hard drives, etc.

And be sure to disable PIN authentication.

No security is absolutely perfect; but these measures will make your network pretty secure.

Thanks
    MAC address filtering is more trouble than its worth in my opinion. You're going to forget you did it and when you get a new pc or some comes over and wants to use your wireless for thier smartphone, you won't be able to figure out why they can't connect. Even if you do remember, its a pain to add new addresses. And its also easy to defeat. See:
    http://www.zdnet.com/blog/ou/the-six...ireless-lan/43

Jerry