Thread: Excel for iPad

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Excel for iPad

Hi To All,

Can windows/excel run on an iPad? Does anyone have any experience? I read that a program such as "parallels" is required to run a windows based program like excel on an apple product?

I am interested in using an iPad or similar device to perform observational statistical studies of various manufacturing operations. Your help will be appreciated.

Regards,
    Marty
    Regards,
    Marty

"Aerodynamics Is For Those Who Cannot Build Engines" - Enzo Ferrari

Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Marty, hello.

The iPad cannot run Excel; more specifically, it cannot run Windows. Parallels is a feature of Apple laptop and desktop products, but the iPad runs a different operating system and processor, so cannot execute Windows programs or the Windows OS.

There are some Office-type apps available for iPad, but I can't say whether they would be suitable for your needs: particularly if you need statistical analysis, suggesting embedded macros and the like. Take a look at Polaris Office or the Web-App based Office for iPad from Microsoft (the latter being a Web based version of Office). The key is that these are not Excel, but might do what you want. There are others available too - I use Docs to Go for mobile Office work.

If the above apps are not powerful enough for your analytical requirements, you may be able to capture the data manually on the iPad then export to a workstation running Excel.

Another option would be to run a remote desktop app on the iPad giving access to a Windows based workstation on which the analysis could be performed.

Finally, you might wish be to wait a few weeks to see if there are any Windows Tablets released at the same time as the new Windows 8 operating system. Depending on exactly which model, some will run Windows natively and hence have the capability run Office etc. There are already Windows Tablets available for XP and similar, so that could always be a fallback, but the Surface Pro tablet running Windows 8 Pro looks promising.

P.S. You don't mention anything about the data capture mechanism. The iPad has very limited external interfaces which makes automated data capture difficult depending on your manufacturing environment. Windows Tablets will at least have a full USB interface making a direct connection to the SPC point easier.
    In God we trust; all others must bring data.

- William Edwards Deming. 1900 - 1993

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Excel for iPad

Hi Tinto Tech,Thanks for the detailed response; specifically, I would like the iPad or similar device to support a spreadsheet application "excel" because of conformity. Although if there is another application that will smoothly interface/communicate with excel that would be fine.I will be entering some basic data related to a manufacturing process; i.e model number, serial number, station number, defect or no defect etc. With the ability to tranfer real time or later manually downloaded to a desk top for ananlysis in "Excel".Desktop runs Win 7 enterprise, Office 2010.....Let me know if you need additioanl information.Regards,Marty
    Regards,
    Marty

"Aerodynamics Is For Those Who Cannot Build Engines" - Enzo Ferrari

Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    OK, if the requirement is not for data processing or analysis on the iPad, the I think many of the "Office" apps will work for you. Docs to Go will save in Office 2007 and 2010 formats and if you are manually entering the data, there is no input interface to worry about.

To export, you could email or, even easier, send wirelessly to the workstation.

You can build the spreadsheet on the workstation, then export to the iPad; so you have a direct copy and don't need to build it from scratch on the tablet.

It may still be worth waiting for the upcoming Windows 8 tablets as they should be much more compatible, but like all things new, there may well be teething issues. If you want stability right now, I would go iPad, use an Office look-alike and cloud-based export to the worsktation for analysis and reporting.

Bear in mind the relative fragility and desirability of the iPad in a manufacturing environment.
    In God we trust; all others must bring data.

- William Edwards Deming. 1900 - 1993

Thanks

Thanks
    Just to add my two cents worth - I have used the Quick Office app on the iPad, but my preference is Numbers https://www.apple.com/apps/numbers/ . The main reason is the ability of Numbers to create data collection forms. These forms are easier to navigate than a spreadsheet on an iPhone or iPad. While you use the form, the data is actually being written to a spreadsheet. The spreadsheet is compatible with Excel (with the traditional caveat about macros/programming or excel-specific functionality not being available), I haven't found a formula I can't make yet. I'm also going to be realistic and say that if you have a long form to complete (more than 12 questions) or a lot of verbiage to record, then Numbers will not make you happy.
    [b]Catharine Richardson (WebGenii)
    WebGenii Home Page
    Moderator: Spreadsheets, Other MS Apps, Presentation Apps, Visual Basic for Apps, Windows Mobile