Thanks

Using WinMail (Vista version) in Win 8

Here's a solution for all who want to use winmail and windows 8. Many people have tried to do this. I found this solution in another forum. DrWho has tried this and tells me it works.

The procedure is almost the same as windows 7 , but we will need a dll file.

First , we do the same procedure as in windows 7 :

a) Take ownership of winmail forder ( if you use windows 8x64 , you need to take oweneship of program files/winmail and program files(x86)/winmail). Remember to check the " show system files " before that.

b) Delete all the files in winmail forder and replace them with the windows 7 / winmail files.

c) Copy msidcrl30.dll to c:/windows/system32 folder

d) Now , we have to register the above dll. Open cmd and type : regsvr32 "c:/windows/system32\msidcrl30.dll" and press enter.

Reboot , just in case , and you're done
    Last edited by Medico; 2012-10-08 at 08:19.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Users should be aware that the link to the files above point to a 3rd party site and that the content of that site could be changed now or at any time in the future. Users should always scan downloaded applications for malicious content before use.

Users should be aware that there are copyright notices embedded within the applications in the attachment. People should satisfy themselves that their use of the applications is within the restrictions enforced by the copyright holder (as described by the End User Licence Agreement for the originating Operating System).

Stay safe and legal.
    In God we trust; all others must bring data.

- William Edwards Deming. 1900 - 1993

Thanks
    Again, same arguments about the legality with Win 7 and WinMail. Why is there a WinMAil Folder in either Win 7 and/or Win 8 if MS does not acknowledge the fact that someone will want to use WinMail rather than WLM in these 2 OS's. If MS did not want these 2 OS's to have access to WinMail, they would not have included the access to the mail client.

I have removed the attachment. I was unsure of that as well. Plus supplying the required Vista file seems wrong. If someone owns a Vista OS license they have updated from, then they already have access to the needed files.

Don't get me wrong, I use WLM and am happy with it, but there have been many discussions in these forums about WM versus WLM and the fact that some would not consider Win 8 simply because the method to activate the included WM had not been found yet.
    Last edited by Medico; 2012-10-08 at 08:25.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    It's a difficult one Ted.

My reading of the licence restrictions is that if you own a pre-existing licence for the previous OS, it is probably ok to extract the applications and use them in Windows 8 as long as that previous OS is then removed from use on the device it was installed upon.... However, I'm not a lawyer, so it's only an opinion

Regardless of the "pleasure" one could have trying to understand the clear-as-mud licence, for me the safest method to obtain the files is to extract them from an original installation CD, that way the user can be sure they have not been tainted at some point in time.

As for the presence of the WinMail folders in Windows 8: I suspect the real reason is that MS have simply not removed them from the Windows 7 platform on which Windows 8 was built. Windows 8 was not built from the ground up, but based upon the Windows 7 OS. Elements have been left behind, just as they were with Vista..... Messy, but expedient.
    In God we trust; all others must bring data.

- William Edwards Deming. 1900 - 1993