2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Moved Outlook 2003 PST file and broke Outlook

A long time ago I moved all my XP data files into My Documents on a separate drive.
    That drive is looking weak so I decided to move everything again to a new drive.
    Everything worked fine except my Outlook PST file.
    Before remembering that all I had to do was move the PST file, launch Outlook and tell it where to find it I got lead astray by Googling the subject.

I started trying to manage the PST file location under Tools>Options>Mail Setup>Data Files>Add>Outlook Personal Folders File
    I never got the kind of response dialogs I expected.
    I never removed the local PST file from my profile.
    I never did the registry mods some recommended.
    But I did confuse the dickens out of Outlook.
    And now it won't do Send/Receive or display my Personal Folders correctly.

I do still have the original PST file in its original location and a corrupted (I think) PST file in the new location.
    I say corrupted because I overwrote it with the origianl PST file and may have destroyed my profile in that PST (?).

Anyway, here's my question:
    How do I reset everything in Outlook's data files list back to the original setup (remove the new files I added?).
    Then verify Outlook functions properly again?
    Then move the orignal PST file to the new location, launch Outlook and point it to the new location?

Am I thinking correctly here or do I have a bigger problem than I think I have?
    Thanks for any help.
    This time I'll write it all down.
    Ron

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I looked at my Mail profile in Control Panel and it seems OK.
    It still points to the old data files location.
    I don't remember ever messing with it before.
    Is it automatically changed when I relocate Outlook's PST file location?

Does the PST file contain any settings data for the profile?
    Would those have been changed when I was fiddling with Outlook's file location settings?

I do have a backup of the PST file before I ever started any of this if I need it.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Well, for those of you who care, I've solved this one.

When I launched Outlook today it opened with a duplicate Personal Folders display and an Archive Folders set in the correct new location.
    I deleted the duplicate file in the Data Files listing and was up with my PST in the old location.
    I exited and moved the PST file into a temporary folder after copying it to the new location.
    On relaunch, Outlook couldn't find the PST file so I browsed it to the new location.
    It then opened but warned me it couldn't process send/receive since it still thought the PST was in the old location in that service.
    I exited and relaunched and it immediately did send/receive!

My Mail profile looks good in the Control Panel and all is right with my world...
    Sure glad I didn't hack my registry.