New Lounger
    Thanks

Question IE9 disappears again and again

I recently was surprised to find that both the 64 and the 32 bit versions of IE9 was missing from my laptop.
    I didn't remove them. I downloaded the 64 bit version from Microsoft and reinstalled it.
    I checked the next couple of days and it worked fine. (I normally use Chrome so I usually go for days without using IE).
    A day later I clicked on the shortcut and the error message informed me that iexplore.exe had been changed or moved.
    Once again, the app had been deleted. MS Security Essentials, Malware bytes, and Trendmicro Housecall have found nothing.
    I reinstalled IE9 again, and a few weeks later it had again been removed.
    Is there a system activity log that might give me a clue as to what is happening? Thanks.

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,148 Times in 1,057 Posts
    Is it only IE that disappears?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes, I haven't noticed anything else missing.

Thanks
    I would have a look through the event viewer to see if you can correlate something.
    [Applications subsection, events under MSinstaller] [??]

Navigate down to IE's root installation folders area to see what remains;
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Internet Explorer
    and
    C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer

1 Is someone else using your laptop?
    2 System restore being inadvertently invoked (improbable and hard to miss)?
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Motherboard: DX58SO2*Chipset: X58 Express/Intel ICH10*BIOS: SOX5820J.86A.0888.2012.0129.2203*Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU X 990
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 580*Memory: Corsair 12 GB, 4x3@1600*PSU: Corsair HX1000*Hard drives: REVO X2 160GB*OCZ VERT X3 120GB*5 mechanical storage drives (12 TB) total.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to CLiNT For This Useful Post:

voxov (2012-10-14)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, I've looked at the event viewer before but saw nothing obvious. I'm not experienced in analyzing most of the data it contains so I could have missed something.
    I'll give it another look. The IE folder and a couple of subfolders remain but most of the files are missing.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    What system cleaners are you using ?

New Lounger
    Thanks

IE gone from my system as well

I have had my current Windows 7 Pro setup for about two years and at some unknown point IE disappeared. This is ironic considering the number of times from
    whenever Opera debuted that I tried to remove it to no avail. I have files in those locations but no exe to open IE. I imagine there are others like us out there who never noticed it was gone because they never use it.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Ccleaner, latest version. I don't think that's causing the problem. but I'll double check it.

Thanks
    I doubt CCleaner would remove it or delete vital components by doing a routine clean up job, even with it's most aggressive settings.

IE must either be uninstalled by a software uninstall process, a written script or batch, or through some means
    of either intentional or accidental deletion of the files in it's root folder(s).

Some other software process is causing havoc with IE9 on your setup and you'll need to attempt to investigate what it/they is/are.
    Go over all of your installed software applications advanced settings, including scripts, browser addons, batchfile, and any automation software.

I would also run a "sfc /scannow".
    To See and Read the SFC /SCANNOW Scan Results
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Motherboard: DX58SO2*Chipset: X58 Express/Intel ICH10*BIOS: SOX5820J.86A.0888.2012.0129.2203*Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU X 990
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 580*Memory: Corsair 12 GB, 4x3@1600*PSU: Corsair HX1000*Hard drives: REVO X2 160GB*OCZ VERT X3 120GB*5 mechanical storage drives (12 TB) total.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to CLiNT For This Useful Post:

voxov (2012-10-29)

New Lounger
    Thanks

Figure I uninstalled it

I use CCLEANER as well (Since the days when it was Crap Cleaner) but in my case I figure I uninstalled it and forgot. In the old days it was not possible to uninstall it. You could hide it, but not really get rid of it, at least not via ADD/REMOVE.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, I had run a scannow before and saw nothing that looked relevant. I'll try again using your reference and see if anything turns up.
    IE has been stable for about a week or more but I'm checking it regularly to try and catch the surrounding circumstances immediately after
    it occurs.