3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Recommend simple macro writer?

Is there a simple macro writer I can use to enter repetitive data into various email formats? I have a title, my name, plus one of two paragraphs.
    Bob Wall

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BobWallToo View Post
    Is there a simple macro writer I can use to enter repetitive data into various email formats? I have a title, my name, plus one of two paragraphs.
    Probably the best solution is your email program's template facility or auto-text facility, if it has either of those.

Failing that, an option would be a program like PhraseExpress.
    http://www.phraseexpress.com/
    Free for personal use. Portable version is available. Boilerplate manager, text expander, clipboard manager.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Not sure if this will be relevant or not as you don't state your email client.

i have used clippings in the past for boiler plate text within Firefox.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Best one I've seen is "AutoHotKey". It'll write micros any place u want.
    Simple, straightforward and best of all, its free.

John

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I've used RoboType for some years. Regrettably, it's no longer a free utility.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    RoboTask is well reviewed and is available free until midnight at http://www.giveawayoftheday.com/. I haven't tried it yet. AutoHotKey is said to be very powerful but have a steep learning curve.

KRS

Thanks
    I believe the person said, "simple", and I don't believe either of those (AutoHotKey or RoboTask) would qualify, in my opinion. I use Easy Macro Recorder, although I do use AutoHotKey at times. GAOTD offers Easy Macro Recorder on occasion. I don't know if they have a free version.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MRCS View Post
    I believe the person said, "simple", and I don't believe either of those (AutoHotKey or RoboTask) would qualify, in my opinion. I use Easy Macro Recorder, although I do use AutoHotKey at times. GAOTD offers Easy Macro Recorder on occasion. I don't know if they have a free version.
    given the fact that the user even knows what a macro is and that he wants to automate some cumbersome tasks, I recommend AutoHotkey. I've used it many times in the past to automate things like logon to my favorite sites all at once and it took little more than twenty minutes to setup. Over the course of 6 months or so I can honestly say that it saved me a full day or even more time.

its free and takes very little time to get used to, maybe a few tries and experimentation to get it right but i'm sure the user can figure it out.

Macros are quite archaic and are useless if something like, the size of the webpage is changed by the developer or many other variables such-as: having your application fullscreen... which, if it isnt ... and it was when you setup the macro, it will fail.

I say, give it a shot

Cheers

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Many word processing and email programs have a built-in "record a macro" feature that follows your key strokes, menu selections, and even mouse clicks, faithfully recording them for playback when you activate the assigned hot key.
    David Gray, Chief Wizard
    WizardWrx
    Irving, Texas, USA

WizardWrx Web - Technical Articles and Free Software
    You are more important than any technology we may employ.