Lounger
    Thanks

problems creating factory recovery discs

I have been creating factory recovery discs for computers with windows pre installed for years with no problems , suddenly this week I tried with a a desktop made by gateway and it failed , returned to store and took a hp laptop for my daughter instead , same problem with dvd+ which I always used before, was able to creat it with a usb drive. I did my brother in laws computer last week no problem . Is this something new. Has anyone else also had recent problems. I know there are other ways to solve the issue but that's not the point. They are supposed to work . What have others experienced?

Thanks Bob

Thanks
    Hi Bob,
    I always used dvd-r discs of good quality.
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Roderunner For This Useful Post:

PvtBB (2012-10-11)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I never had a problem and like Roderunner I use DVD-R discs.

Thanks
    Years ago, I had serious problems with DVD-R disks and one recorder, so I switched to +R disks and had no more problems.
    I still use only +R disks and still with NO problems.

I do find though....that after a couple of years, some brands of DVD burners can get really 'wonky'. I try to change my everyday DVD burner about every two years. But I use my DVD burner almost Daily, so it does get a lot of USE.

Also, there are certain brands of DVD's that do not work well with certain brands of Burners.

Cheers Mates!
    The Doctor

On Topic:
    Factory Recovery disks are almost useless when something has gone wrong with your Windows Install or your hard drive.
    A much more useful disk would be a DVD backup, made after you've got Windows all set up the way you want it, with your email, browser and the programs you use every day, all installed and running correctly.
    Then if you have to restore that backup, you won't have to spend hours and hours setting up your PC AGAIN.
    I don't remake my DVD backups very often, but I do make backups to another hard drive, weekly. That's "Weekly" and not "Weakly". (my little backup joke)
    Last edited by DrWho; 2012-10-13 at 09:32.
    Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!

Thanks
    The dvd drive on my HP desktop pc (bought April 2007) died just after 1 year but was replaced free of charge. Its been getting heavy use ever since and still works perfectly.
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DrWho View Post

On Topic:
    Factory Recovery disks are almost useless when something has gone wrong with your Windows Install or your hard drive.
    A much more useful disk would be a DVD backup, made after you've got Windows all set up the way you want it, with your email, browser and the programs you use every day, all installed and running correctly.
    Then if you have to restore that backup, you won't have to spend hours and hours setting up your PC AGAIN.
    I don't remake my DVD backups very often, but I do make backups to another hard drive, weekly. That's "Weekly" and not "Weakly". (my little backup joke)
    I think this should be emblazoned somewhere on the case of all PCs to inform/remind folks to make current image backups. Think of all the MS updates if nothing else.

I tried to explain to our church secretary WHY we needed to do weekly (weakly!!) backups and not just plan to use the original recovery disks. She would nod and then say "but we have.........."

Pound, pound, pound..... my head on the wall.
    BJ

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello, Bob.

Doing backups on DVD is a bit tedious, at times, you might need up to three ( four ) DVDs of whatever +/- mode. I use a clone procedure and I do it at least monthly or whenever I do a large change in my machine. When needed, it is a matter of getting that software running, Acronis runs in RAM, totally outside the OS, and cloning it back, no question asked. A clone is really what this implies, it saves all, bit for bit, on an USB HD. You only need one large enough to save the data on your HD, empty space is not considered, ie: on a 500 G HD, if only 100 G are present, you can clone to a 160 G USB HD, and again, clone back when/if needed. Have fun. JP.