Thread: Taskbar freezes

New Lounger
    Thanks

Unhappy Taskbar freezes

​I'm using W7 64 bit Home Premium and the last month or my window freezes after a short. I don't know a lot but enough to but enough to be dangerous . I went on line and read possible remedies and so far nothing has worked. I uninstalled all my programs from the last 60 days, google chrome, all my malware (Malwarebytes paid subscription). disabled Mircrosoft Security Essentials and istalles Avast, took out 8GB (Corsair) RAM and replaced with 4 GB of OCZ RAM I originally had.
    The computer is about 4 yrs old. I can't reinstall W7 because I get a message saying "current OS is greater than one to be installed" I don't want to wipe the drive as some suggested because I read it did not solve the problem, so I'd rather not take the gamble. I come here because you guys are the smartest of the smart which is why I am a paid subscriber. Below is my data. please help.

SYSTEM INFORMATION Computer Manufacturer Intel Corporation Computer Model DP45SG Operating System (O/S) Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium Edition Service Pack 1 Operating System Build (O/S) (build 7601), 64-bit Operating System (version) 6.1.7601

MOTHERBOARD INFORMATION Manufacturer Intel Corporation Model DP45SG AA Number AAE27733-402 BIOS Vendor Intel Corp. BIOS Version Intel Corp. SGP4510H.86A.0108.2009.0114.2036 BIOS Release Date 01/14/09 System Memory 8.2 GB Built-in Audio Driver Component IDT 92HD73E Built-in Audio Driver Version not detected Built-in Audio Driver Status Newer Driver Available Bios Software Bios Information

PROCESSOR INFORMATION Manufacturer Intel Model Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU X3330 @ 2.66GHz Intel Processor analysis tools Intel Processor analysis tools CPU Speed 2.7 GHz Link to Processor Specification Link to Processor Specification CPU Revision 07 CPU Type 00 CPU Family 06 CPU Model 17

GRAPHICS INFORMATION Graphics Product [1] ATI Radeon HD 4600 Series Driver Status Non-Intel device detected Video Memory 4.7 GB Current Graphics Resolution 1920x1080 Current Color Depth 32 Bits Per Pixel Raw EDID [1] 00 FF FF FF FF FF FF 00 1E 6D 44 58 3E EF 01 00 0A 15 01 03 80 30 1B 78 EA 95 35 A1

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    You can reinstall windows but you need to download the ISO from Microsoft with the SP1 built in (your disk probably does not have SP1 on it).
    You can get it from HERE then burn it to DVD. you can use your activation key to activate the version for your license.
    You could also open an administrator command prompt window and type in 'sfc /scannow' to check the system files for errors and repair them. May resolve problem without having to re-install.
    Clive

All typing errors are my own work and subject to patents pending. Except errors by the spell checker. And that has its own patients.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to curiousclive For This Useful Post:

bobn (2012-10-09)

Thanks
    Before I went to this extreme if this were mine I would download Autoruns and turn off all Auto starting software I know I do not need to see if it helped.
    Do you "Believe"? Do you vote? Please Read:
    LEARN something today so you can TEACH something tomorrow.
    DETAIL in your question promotes DETAIL in my answer.
    Dominus Vobiscum <))>(

5. The Following User Says Thank You to RussB For This Useful Post:

bobn (2012-10-10)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    OK I tried 'sfc /scannow' and did not find any integrity violations so now I'll download the ISO from Microsoft with the SP1 built in....
    Thanks.... I reinstalled Windows and unfortunately the taskbar still freezes...

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Have you tried RussB's advice?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes I have and the problem still still exists. I don't want to bring it to a local repair shop because of the time (x$/hr) and spend a few hundred or have them wipe the drive. That I can do myself and most likely will need to do if the problem persists beyond a slight annoyance.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Are you a paid subscriber? If so, did you have a look at Fred's column in the latest newsletter?