Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks

Erratic mouse behavior

In Win7 (desktop pc), I find none of the mice work nicely. The USB ones keep jumping all around. You click at one place but the result goes elsewhere. With a PS2 mouse, each one of them (I have three) stops after 10-15 minutes of windows start.

I even tried the wireless version, but of no avail. The keyboards normal/USB work well though.

The same mice work perfectly on my other desktops. I have tried many local/reputed manufacturers like Logitech, Qantum, iball etc. but found no difference. Also on the same desktop I have Win 2003 server, and no problems there.

Any ideas what to do? Thanks

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    I would Right-Click 'Computer' select 'Manage' then Double-Click 'Device Manager' and remove or Uninstall all mouse or pointing device drivers. Then Boot my computer with the Mouse I liked best plugged in and let the OS locate and install the proper driver for it.

This is what I would do. YMMV
    Do you "Believe"? Do you vote? Please Read:
    LEARN something today so you can TEACH something tomorrow.
    DETAIL in your question promotes DETAIL in my answer.
    Dominus Vobiscum <))>(

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the quick reply. I will surely try this out and report back how it went.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    CG if the above don't work try replacing the cmos battery on the motherboard. I could not figure out what was going on with my mouse or key board. replacing the battery fixed everything.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    @Star Lounger

I will try this as well. I tried the first solution from @4 Star Lounger, but nothing improved. Appears something is not ideal with the Core2Duo and related chipset.

Thanks for this one. BTW, could you point out why do you suspect the cmos battery? Or why it improves the situation?

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I had this problem on my wife's computer - mouse lockups and erratic movement. This was on several different mice including Logitech. All the problens went away after I plugged the USB dongle into a 3 foot USB extension cable and placed the receiver closer to her work space.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I don't think there is anything in the chip set or processor that can cause this problem.

You may not have obtained a clean uninstall. Your registry may have some leftover entries or fragments that are causing the odd action.

I just noticed that it appears you have a server on the same desktop and the mouse works fine there. That pretty much eliminates everything except a software issue.

Bill

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I had the same problem, and it came down to what kind of surface or mouse pad that the mouse was being used on. With a fancy mouse pad with pictures of coffee beans on it, I had erratic behaviour exactly as described. Using the same mouse, in the same USB port, but just on a plain surface, it worked correctly. I guess the optical sensor does not like changing images when it is working out where to put the cursor.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I had a problem with a very 'draggy' mouse which often lagged my movements and at other times would jump around. Turning off netguard in McAfee solved the problem for me, so if you are using McAfee, you might give that a try.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The Motherboard battery CMOS went out on my Intel D 945PWM motherboard and when I replaced it after the monitor went black but everything else seemed to be working the monitor came back on.I knew the battery was going because every time the power goes off and then comes back on and I reboot the computer I would have to set the date, and time. I'm stilling having problems with the mouse quitting at random times, USB ports shut down, card games don't respond, Spider or regular Solitaire and chrome is having a lot of problems with shock-wave crashing (flash) and I have a IDE DVD/CD burner that has power but it is no longer seen by the motherboard. This all started with the on board audio quitting. so I added a Asus sound card, then the mouse and key board would just stop working,then come back on randomly. Its driving me crazy trying to trouble this computer now.

Thanks
    With the various intermittent problems this could very well be a H/W failure.

Have you cleaned your PC recently. These tend to accumulate dust and debris. The fans get clogged and don't work as well.

Also this could be something like the Power Supply going bad. You can installed a monitoring app such as HWMonitor to monitor PC voltages to see if there are any problems seen.

If the CMOS battery goes bad (They do not work forever) your Bios will be screwed up.
    Last edited by Medico; 2012-10-24 at 10:15.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    If you are dual-booting on that PC and the mouse works fine in the other OS, then you have no hardware issue concerning the mouse behavior - you have a software issue. I would do two things; first, run chkdsk /r. Then run sfc /scannow. Both need to be run from an elevated command prompt.
    Create a new drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"Let them that don't want it have memories of not gettin' any." "Gratitude is riches and complaint is poverty and the worst I ever had was wonderful." Brother Dave Gardner "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else." Sir Thomas Robert Deware. "The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Do you understand?" Captain Jack Sparrow.
    Unleash Windows

Thanks
    It does not appear that the OP is dual booting. He does not mention this in his original post. That's why H/W came to mind with these intermittent problems.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Medico View Post
    It does not appear that the OP is dual booting. He does not mention this in his original post. That's why H/W came to mind with these intermittent problems.

I prefaced my reply with "If"; from post #1:

Quote Originally Posted by coolgreen View Post
    Also on the same desktop I have Win 2003 server, and no problems there.

Any ideas what to do? Thanks
    Last edited by bbearren; 2012-10-24 at 11:10.
    Create a new drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"Let them that don't want it have memories of not gettin' any." "Gratitude is riches and complaint is poverty and the worst I ever had was wonderful." Brother Dave Gardner "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else." Sir Thomas Robert Deware. "The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Do you understand?" Captain Jack Sparrow.
    Unleash Windows

Thanks
    I can't tell either because he also mentions on his other desktops. I guess the OP will have to provide this info.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast