5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Clerical error causes huge Patch Tuesday ripple

PATCH WATCH

Clerical error causes huge Patch Tuesday ripple

By Susan Bradley

We have our work cut out for us this Patch Tuesday. A missing piece of information in code-signing certificates means that many of the updates we’ve already installed will be reoffered. What started out as a relatively mild Patch Tuesday has suddenly turned severe — and Microsoft indicates this might not be the last of it.

The full text of this column is posted at windowssecrets.com/patch-watch/clerical-error-causes-huge-patch-tuesday-ripple/ (opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.
    Last edited by Tracey Capen; 2012-10-10 at 21:06.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Wink Window updates column

I like the information supplied in the Patch Watch section. However, it would be helpful if the chart of what to install, or not, was printable. It would be easier to compare the patches to the Windows upgrade screen.

Just a thought.

Thanks

Thumbs down Patch List is Incomplete

There are listings for skipped patches as far back as February 2012. There is a complete list of "Install" recommendations from August 14.

HOWEVER, there is not one entry from the September patches. There were a total of 7 released.

Susan Bradley even posted in the 9/13/2012 newsletter:

KB 2735855
    is a hotfix for Windows Filtering Platform (WFP) applications. Microsoft's description for this update is cryptic, but apparently you can apply the hotfix if your network connection is slow when running a WFP-based app with Windows 7.
    Scratching your head over what, exactly, Windows Filtering Platform is? Apps that use WFP have a much more familiar name — firewalls! As defined in an MSDN article, WFP is an API (Wikipedia definition) used by Microsoft and third-party firewall developers. It's prudent to be extra cautious with code that interacts with third-party firewalls, so I'm putting this update on hold for now. Any reports of problems with the patch should show up in the next couple of weeks.

What to do: [....] Hold on KB 2735855 until I report back.

It is now almost a month later and there is no update. And this patch is not listed in the patch list.

Is KB2735855 safe to install? Some posts on the Microsoft support page report conflicts with Eset NOD antivirus. Is this an exception or is the problem pervasive in Firewalls and AV software?

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm still holding off on 2735855 especially given the disaster of the timestamp issue. My machine is fine. as you point out there's concerns with ESET and I'm not ready to give the all clear yet.
    It's not a security update. There's no urgent need that I see. I'm not ready to pass judgement yet. I apologize for not putting my "I'm not ready yet" in the article.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Susan, it's too bad this one about the mega Win8 update 2756872 might have been a bit late for the column. It's catching a lot of people. I'm not even going to attempt it until v2 comes out.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/w...a-defd195a5fe3