Lounger
    Thanks

Black (no) display on second monitor

I have two monitors attached to my Dell Studio XPS 9100 desktop machine running System 7 Home Premium. The problem I'm having is with the second monitor, an 8-year-old Samsung 912N.

Normally, this second monitor performs just fine. The PC typically runs for weeks at a time, with the occasional reboot required for Windows updates. This Samsung monitor, at least so far, responds normally to PC restarts.

Twice in the past month, I've left home for several days, and in those two cases I've shut down the PC, both monitors, and all other peripheral hardware. When I returned home and booted the PC (after switching on the monitors and peripherals), the Samsung monitor appeared to turn on (the tiny green light in the bottom right corner glowed a steady green), but the display remained black. A check with the Display control panel showed that the Samsung was alive and well as far as Windows was concerned (the monitor was recognized and no problems were noted). Everything seemed normal except that there was no display on the Samsung.

In both cases, rebooting the PC didn't help. Turning off the Samsung and turning it back on caused its display to appear for a split second, then instantly fade to black again.

I've checked the power and video connections, and they seem to be normal.

The first time this happened, the Samsung suddenly showed a normal display after the PC had been on for about half an hour. The second time, yesterday, the Samsung didn't come back to life for almost two hours.

Should I look further for system or driver problems to figure out what's going on, or should I just assume that it's time to buy a new monitor? I guess I've been lucky, since I've never had an LCD monitor fail on me. Any suggestions would be most appreciated.

--Larry

Thanks
    If your monitor is one of those (CCFL back-lighting?) display type LCD monitors it may be possible to replace a component.
    Unsure though, we'll see what others think.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Motherboard: DX58SO2*Chipset: X58 Express/Intel ICH10*BIOS: SOX5820J.86A.0888.2012.0129.2203*Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU X 990
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 580*Memory: Corsair 12 GB, 4x3@1600*PSU: Corsair HX1000*Hard drives: REVO X2 160GB*OCZ VERT X3 120GB*5 mechanical storage drives (12 TB) total.