Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NVIDIA update

Lounger
    Thanks

NVIDIA update

I just received a message to update the NVIDIA driver. It says it will (among other things) install a Nvidia Control Panel. It seems to me I have read in Windows Secrets, that unless you are having a problem, it is best not to mess with drivers. I'm not having any problems at this time. Could you please give me an opinion as to what I should do.

Thanks

Thanks
    Why would you worry about the NVidia updates installing an icon in Control Panel? You don't have to use it (in fact I only knew it was there because I just checked!). I tend to install the NVidia updates, but without any great expectation of obvious improvements. (I think it just encourages them!)
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

Thanks
    There's a nVidia drivers only install tutorial here: http://sysnative.com/forums/showthre...tion-procedure

4. The Following User Says Thank You to satrow For This Useful Post:

Twinkie (2012-10-12)

Thanks
    The Custom installation procedure allows you to de-select everything but the Graphics Driver.
    I always ignore the 3D stuff.

NVidia Update.png
    BATcher

6. The Following User Says Thank You to BATcher For This Useful Post:

Twinkie (2012-10-12)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Twinkie View Post
    I just received a message to update the NVIDIA driver. It says it will (among other things) install a Nvidia Control Panel. It seems to me I have read in Windows Secrets, that unless you are having a problem, it is best not to mess with drivers. I'm not having any problems at this time. Could you please give me an opinion as to what I should do.

Thanks
    "Unless you are having a problem, it is best not to mess with drivers." That is still excellent advice.

It fits in well with the old saying, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

8. The Following User Says Thank You to bbearren For This Useful Post:

Twinkie (2012-10-12)

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks to the good advice! I now have a choice.

Twinkie

Thanks
    Quite honestly I have read of far more problems with people updating working graphics drivers simply because a new version was released. Unless you are seeing a change in the drivers to make a feature you use work better or fix a problem you are having, then the chances you take with the upgrade just are not worth it. I have often stated, as did bbearren, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." especially with graphics drivers!
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Medico For This Useful Post:

Twinkie (2012-10-13)

Thanks
    Perhaps a different way of stating this is: "only accept graphics card updates from the manufacturer, not from Windows Update"!
    BATcher

13. The Following User Says Thank You to BATcher For This Useful Post:

Twinkie (2012-10-13)

Thanks
    I reiterate the advice from Medico and me. This applies to any and all drivers from any and all sources. If one is having no issues and missing no features, the driver(s) in use are completely adequate.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

15. The Following User Says Thank You to bbearren For This Useful Post:

Twinkie (2012-10-16)

Thanks
    That's my feeling as well. If you are not having problems with a particular driver, why take a chance unless there is some added feature that you need. Before changing anything create an Image in case something goes wrong.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Medico For This Useful Post:

Twinkie (2012-10-16)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Doesn't Windows 7 have a roll back drivers feature? I have never used it, but I know Windows 7 stores old drivers. A system restore point might also be created during the install. I like the advice of a disk image but making frequent disk images is always good advice. There might also be some gains in performance from a driver update. I do not grabe every one that comes out though. I often skip updates. There should be papers describing what the updates do and fix so these can be checked and a decision on whether to update can be made. I also strongly believe in custom installs adding only what you want and need.

Thanks
    Windows 7 does have a roll back driver option in Device Manager. Unless you use your PC for games, I also wouldn't update graphics drivers unless you are experiencing a graphics related problem. Most of the driver updates are for fixing bugs with specific games and gaming performance.

Jerry

Thanks
    Yes, Windows 7 does have a driver roll back feature; it doesn't always work - just check these and other forums for confirmation. The same can be said for system restore; it doesn't always work.

A known and tested drive imaging regimen is the best defense against such problems. As Medico said, before changing anything create an image in case something goes wrong. That is your only way of knowing for sure that you are right back where you were before something went wrong.

Unleash Windows

Lounger
    Thanks

Red face

@bbearren ''"Gratitude is riches and complaint is poverty and the worst I ever had was wonderful."

The first sentence is easily understood,but i was wondering,what is the exact meaning of ''and the worst I ever had was wonderful."

İ seem to be missing the point here.What is it?

Thanks
    mysoul. that's just bbearren's signature. It has absolutely nothing to do with his answer. Many of us have a signature that get's added to every post we make.

If you look, my signature starts with BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast