Thread: Firefox failure

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Firefox failure

The ssd saga continues.

On rebuilding W 7 pro 64 in my new ssd, almost everything worked with some interesting failures. I went to the web for the latest firefox build, was directed to a beta of "nightly," a 64 bit version. It installed and worked for a couple more downloads as i rebuilt my program zoo and then I installed Winpatrol. After putting in my license key, it came up with some innocuous observation about Firefox and when I clicked OK, Nightly crashed - hard. Every attempt to restart instantly brought up the Mozilla Crash Reporter window. I have not uninstalled it and it still instantly crashes 10 days later.

edit: I contacted the WinPatrol folks but they have no answer.

So, I downloaded Firefox V 15 32 bit and installed it. Crash! But, it invited me to start it in "safe mode." it starts on http://www.ggle.org.uk/index.php?hp=1&OVKWID=firefox and i cannot reset the homepage. Firefox, on my box, is crippleware!

What I really need is an address for the Mozilla people so I can tell them about this. I would rather use Firefox than Chrome but can't.
    Last edited by stonecherub; 2012-10-11 at 15:54. Reason: left out a line
    Dan Lynch
    The stonecherub

Thanks
    Hi Dan, what download source(es) did you use for the Nightlyx64 and FX 15?

Try out Pale Moon to see if that works (it's based on Firefox but uses a separate profile, available in x86/x64): http://www.palemoon.org/

3. The Following User Says Thank You to satrow For This Useful Post:

stonecherub (2012-10-18)

3 Star Lounger Not Brightest Bulb's Avatar
    Thanks
    I used Firefox for years but finally a few months back it turned glitchy so I installed Opera and after 30 days made it default and uninstalled Firefox and have not looked back.

Firefox web pages would not scroll properly, I had no crashes but just got sick of it.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Not Brightest Bulb For This Useful Post:

stonecherub (2012-10-18)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have Windows 7 HP 64 bit and run both Firefox version 16.0.1x32 and Palemoon version 15.2x64. I personally find Palemoon to be a little slower. Your profile may be messed up. You might try uninstalling Firefox all versions and also uninstall the personal settings part. Perhaps an uninstaller like the Revo one might help. I know it is nice to have all 64 bit resident programs installed on your PC, but I do not think you will find much difference between the 64 and the 32 bit as far as browsing speed goes. And with an SSD drive load time would be insignificant.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to ldb For This Useful Post:

stonecherub (2012-10-18)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks to all, I have installed PaleMoon and it works fine.
    Dan Lynch
    The stonecherub

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by stonecherub View Post
    Thanks to all, I have installed PaleMoon and it works fine.
    I like Pale Moon.
    I have both FF and PM installed and generally use PM for "private browsing".
    It is nice to have two browsers with nearly the same Add-Ons but that can be configured differently but run simultaneously. Quite convenient.
    Do you "Believe"? Do you vote? Please Read:
    LEARN something today so you can TEACH something tomorrow.
    DETAIL in your question promotes DETAIL in my answer.
    Dominus Vobiscum <))>(

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [QUOTE][I have both FF and PM installed and generally use PM for "private browsing".
    It is nice to have two browsers with nearly the same Add-Ons but that can be configured differently but run simultaneously. Quite convenient. /QUOTE]

That's exactly what I do.