Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Win 7 backup

Lounger
    Thanks

Win 7 backup

Been trying to Backup. I noticed when using other backup software I needed about 7 DVDs. Using the Win 7 backup, it groaned along for 3 hours on the original DVD. Why just one? Then of course it gave me an error at about 72%. No real indication of what the problem was? But why just one disk? And why no message to zero me in on the problem? Any clue out there? Thanks.

Thanks
    Do yourself a favor. Acquire an Ext USB HD for Image storage. The DVD Images are a PITA.

Also do yourself a favor (placing my hard hat in preparation for a beating) and use a 3rd party Imaging app. The Win 7 Backup and Restore is just too basic for many of the needs. I am not sure this can be used for DVD storage of Images.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Lounger
    Thanks
    I have thought about getting a USB HD. Can you recommend a "simple" easy to use software package? Right now I have Macrium, It keeps giving me Error 1117. I had done a chkdsk prior to running it, got the error after feeding it several DVD's, Ran chkdsk /r /f again. Same error. So, I went to Win 7 backup and got an error there too! Frustration is the word. Shot most of a morning/afternoon dinking with trying to get a BackUp, which I still do not have! My backups are simple,, copy C: to backup. Nothing fancy. I am a very basic user. Win 7, Laptop. I am open to suggestions.

From Macrium: "Backup aborted! - Unable to read from disk - Error Code 1117 - The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error."

Thanks
    Are you running chkdsk /r from an elevated command prompt?
    Create a new drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"Let them that don't want it have memories of not gettin' any." "Gratitude is riches and complaint is poverty and the worst I ever had was wonderful." Brother Dave Gardner "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else." Sir Thomas Robert Deware. "The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Do you understand?" Captain Jack Sparrow.
    Unleash Windows

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    Macrium reads a copy of the data on your disk via VSS. If you don't have enough space on the disk you are backing up VSS will give errors. If you take too long swapping DVDs VSS may time out.
    Buy a cheap external disk and try again.

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    I do not use Macrium Reflect so I cannot answer totally, but these 3rd party apps work very well with Ext HD's. I also suspect your problem is with the DVD's.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    I agree with Medico, that the problem might be the blank DVD's. I've found over the years that some CD burners and DVD burners don't do well at all with certain brands of blank disks, and work just fine with others. I have a LiteScribe CD/DVD burner in my desktop that does very well with Ativa (Office Depot's brand) and Memorex blanks, but not so well with some other brands. You might try burning to a different brand of disk and see if that makes a difference.
    Create a new drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"Let them that don't want it have memories of not gettin' any." "Gratitude is riches and complaint is poverty and the worst I ever had was wonderful." Brother Dave Gardner "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else." Sir Thomas Robert Deware. "The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Do you understand?" Captain Jack Sparrow.
    Unleash Windows

Lounger
    Thanks
    OK,,, msg heard. I'll go get one over the weekend. Will let you know. Bbearren: running from when windows starts up,, it runs when it boots.. I looked it up, says it does both /r /f.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PackGy View Post
    OK,,, msg heard. I'll go get one over the weekend. Will let you know. Bbearren: running from when windows starts up,, it runs when it boots.. I looked it up, says it does both /r /f.
    Yes, please do let us know. And FWIW, if you'll open a command prompt and type "chkdsk /?" (without the quotes) you'll see "/R Locates bad sectors and recovers readable information <implies /F>".

Unleash Windows

Lounger
    Thanks
    I bought a Toshiba USB HD. Started up Macrium, it got to about 99% and gave me the same Error 1117. I am out of tactics. The Forum advisor gave me the info below. I'm thinking to return the HD and hope for the best. THis has sure been a frustrating experience. The advise for the Event Log stuff is over my head. Heck, all I want to do is point at the C: and back it up. Nothing exotic. How about just dragging the C: folder over to the New HD and say COPY ?

From Macrium Support:
    Thanks for your post. Unfortunately, yes, this would happen with other backup software. The error is due to a disk IO error caused either by the disk itself, the controller it is connected to - as Chris says, it can be caused by high IO loads and is commonly seen on database servers.

More information should be available in the Windows Event Log, which may specify the problem file. If it does not, it should provide an explanation of the disk IO errors which can then be used to narrow down the cause.

Regrettably, there is no way for Reflect to detect ahead of time that such an error is going to occur (for example, IO may spike during backup). This happens as we read the data from the disk and depending on the cause can be intermittent. Therefore, our only option is to go through the process of reading the whole disk and inform the user if an error occurs - even at 99%. This is, however, a better outcome than attempting to ignore the error, as the backup might then not boot, contain corrupt data etc.

I think your best course of action would be to look through your Windows Event Log, as this stores much more detail on the issue than Windows is able to provide to Reflect at the time of failure.

Thanks
    A couple of other things to try;
    Ensure you have the latest chipset drivers for your motherboard.
    Try changing controller modes: IDE/AHCI.
    Select another SATA port on the motherboard.
    Run a diagnostic on the drive with the manufacturer's recommended application.
    Run checkdisk from a bootable disk with the "R" switch, not "F".

In the meantime I would start getting important data backed up through non imaging means
    until resolution or a drive replacement can be had.

Provide more details on your computer's make and model, & hardware details information.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Motherboard: DX58SO2*Chipset: X58 Express/Intel ICH10*BIOS: SOX5820J.86A.0888.2012.0129.2203*Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU X 990
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 580*Memory: Corsair 12 GB, 4x3@1600*PSU: Corsair HX1000*Hard drives: REVO X2 160GB*OCZ VERT X3 120GB*5 mechanical storage drives (12 TB) total.

mart44
    Quote Originally Posted by Medico View Post
    The Win 7 Backup and Restore is just too basic for many of the needs. I am not sure this can be used for DVD storage of Images.
    Just to clarify this point. The answer is that DVDs can be used for W.7 imaging ..as can be seen by looking at the imaging options. I haven't tried writing images to DVD myself though. A second internal hard drive is used for storage.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    The advise for the Event Log stuff is over my head
    We can help you.
    Open Event Viewer, Start > Run > eventvwr
    Expand "Windows Logs"
    Click on "Application"
    Look in the right pane for errors marked with a red indicator.
    Copy any that are disk related and post them here.

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    I had a similar problem a while back, the details are located in the thread Hard Drive Anomolies. As CLiNT suggested, run a diagnostic using the drive manufacturer's recommend software, and start getting your data backed up by other means.

Unleash Windows

Lounger
    Thanks
    I see no entries for the backup time period that has a Windows Log / Application red flag. I checked to see if Window Cache was enabled. It is. I went into Macrium "Other Tasks" Advanced BackUp Options and clicked "Enable File Caching" and tried again. Same 1117 Error. Such a tussle to just backup!
    I might mention when I first bought Macrium, it worked fine. I don't backup a lot since not a lot of changing goes on. Last backup was 2 months ago. But I do make the effort. This is a one year old laptop. Nothing fancy on it. Fairly basic. Obviously, something is now causing a backup error. Cannot determine WHAT?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast