Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks

Smile Attitudes regarding Windows 8

I oft wonder if the naysayers, the naïve, the neophytes, the nasty fear-mongers, the purveyors of myths, the suckers for myths... will any hear or be able to hear, let themselves hear, all the good (things) in or about Windows8 that many people mention w/ great enthusiasm. Do they or will they hear all the positive comments made praising particular aspects & then more accolades from additional, other people lauding, even, more & different impressive Features, functions or underlying technologies. Can some people come to understand Win8 & have it, also for them, be fun, easy & sensible to use?

Being guarded not to rant or repeat (too much)...

There have been heaps of attempts to prognosticate how things will unfold for Windows8 following Oct. 26th. Adoption discussions saying how that will go. We don't really know, folks! Que sera, sera. However, the crux of the matter is attitude. That, in a word, nutshells it. New or the same, APPs or not, start buttons & menus gone or not old or new, none of that matters more than attitude, it transcends everything. Willingness, interest, openness and not being an unknowing, innocent, lemming... being the sort to listen, learn & not go by hype & hearsay.

Many things contribute to a poor attitude. Many (other, better) things can, also, provoke a good attitude. Things are easier to discover, absorb & appreciate w/out being self-centric, wearing blinders, being gullible, stubborn or arrogant.

That said, I, just, hope people will hear (& think about) the virtues of Windows8 that people are so keen to state w/ excitement. Maybe it will cause them ponder that the good attitude, indeed, has merit.

Cheers,
    Drew
    new_windows_logo1.jpg

Thanks
    Attitude?

If people try Windows 8 and like it, then that's fine.
    If people try Windows 8 and don't like it, that's also fine.
    Some people will be forced into Windows 8 if they buy new PCs or laptops - that's not fine.
    If people have been put off Windows 8, or encouraged to use it, by commentators of greater or lesser provenance, that's life!

When all is said and done. Windows 8 is just a transitory operating system (like all the others).
    As with buses, "there will be another along in a minute."
    No need to get worked up about it.
    BATcher

Dear Diary, today the Hundred Years War started ...

Thanks
    I guess I can see both sides of this.

Yes there are some that will not try Win 8 because of what they have read about it. That's there right to do so. People that make a decision based on other's opinions without taking it for a test drive are not getting the whole picture, but that's their choice. People that take it for a short test drive, then give up also have the right to do so. Those individuals will loose out on what I believe is a darn fine OS, but it is their choice.

On the other hand, I'm not certain if those buying new PC's will get a choice on which OS they will get, and that's not right either, especially with the changes they will have to learn. I do not believe this learning curve is very steep, but I know where to look for answers. Many do not. I would bet that many individuals do not even know anything about Win 8, have probably never even heard of Win 8 and they will be in for a shock. But then again we have been shocked many times over the years with this ever changing Windows.

This debate has been discussed ad nauseam in many different articles and threads. Those that just simply listen to others to make their decisions are missing out, but those forced to use this new OS are also missing out.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    No one will be forced to accept Windows 8 on a new laptop or other Windows 7 or Vista capable device for at least two years.

Windows 8 has Windows 7 or Vista downgrade privileges built in. All you need to supply is a valid license and a copy for the Windows 7 or Windows Vista you want to downgrade to. For Windows 8 Pro, these are Windows 7 Pro or Vista Business only. For Windows 8 Standard, these are the Home Premium editions.

Further Windows 8 licensing information is found here.

This reduces the level of risk in trying out Windows 8.

See BruceR's corrections below, (Post #7) as this further reduces the risks of trying Windows 8 Pro.
    Last edited by bobprimak; 2012-10-16 at 14:12.
    -- Bob Primak --

Thanks
    Ah, but therein lies the problem. Many of those who buy Win 8 PC's may not realize there is a Win 7 downgrade path. And many others may have spent their wads on the PC and cannot afford the license to Win 7 that allows the downgrade.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Medico View Post
    Ah, but therein lies the problem. Many of those who buy Win 8 PC's may not realize there is a Win 7 downgrade path. And many others may have spent their wads on the PC and cannot afford the license to Win 7 that allows the downgrade.
    O Dilemma!
    -- Bob Primak --

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bobprimak View Post
    Windows 8 has Windows 7 or Vista downgrade privileges built in. All you need to supply is a valid license and a copy for the Windows 7 or Windows Vista you want to downgrade to.
    No Windows 7 license is needed to downgrade. That's the whole point of a downgrade option. If a Windows 7 license was needed, you'd just be choosing to install a different OS.

Quote Originally Posted by bobprimak View Post
    For Windows 8 Pro, these are Windows 7 Pro or Vista Business only. For Windows 8 Standard, these are the Home Premium editions.

Further Windows 8 licensing information is found here.
    There's no downgrade option for Windows 8 standard, only for Pro (which is the same as it was for Windows 7). It actually says that at the link you provided.

And many others may have spent their wads on the PC and cannot afford the license to Win 7 that allows the downgrade.
    A downgrade doesn't require any additional license.

Bruce

Thanks
    Sorry, I do not actually know much about this Win 7 download path and was unaware that a Win 7 license is not a requirement.

I guess my whole point was that many people buying new PC's may get Win 8, and may not know anything about it or the downgrade capabilities. That is the other side of the coin that I can see.

I also think that individuals who do not try Win 8 and just take someone else's word on it will be short changed.

I am willing to admit that Win 8 will shock many, especially those that have not heard of it before starting their PC's the first time. Since the title of the thread is attitude, people's attitude will have much to do with how Win 8 fairs in the marketplace. I can see both side of the discussion, and have added to this discussion many times. I just am getting to the point that these discussions are seeming very repetitive.

I believe that resellers that do not take the time to educate their customers are truly doing an injustice to those customers, and unfortunately this will happen many times. I believe we will be inundated with questions shortly after the release, more so in the Win 8 Forums than here. We will see one question after the other about how to use this OS. I for one will be pointing to my tutorial that is a sticky on how to take the scary out of Win 8 as a good starting point for these people.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Thanks
    I always wait till everybody else has tried an OS before I try it. I let everyone else do Microsoft's beta testing.

I then look at what the computer commentators say about it. If they rave about it, I switch. If they complain, I avoid it.

For example, I avoided Vista for that reason, but I immediately jumped to Windows 7 because all of the IT people raved about it.

Same thing with XP, W2K, Windows 95 SE.

Everyone, let me know how Windows 8 goes for you, so I'll know whether or not to adopt it.

Thanks
    Jim,

If you read through the various threads in this Forum, you will see what everyone thinks about Win 8. There are some that really like Win 8 (I am in this group) some that do not like Win 8 (This group is also pretty obvious) and many in the middle, either leaning toward or leaning away from Win 8. We have discussed the many features we either like or dislike in the various threads. We have referenced many articles for or against Win 8. At this point in time, with 10 days to go, you should have plenty of time to re-read the various threads.

For me, when Win 8 Pro is released I will be purchasing 2 licenses and replacing our Win 7 OS's with Win 8.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Thanks
    Given the relative ease and lack of additional expense to downgrade, the risk of buying a new device with Windows 8 Pro pre-installed would seem to be minimal.

For those upgrading Windows 7 or earlier to Windows 8, the risks would seem to be the same or even less.

So it isn't unreasonable to give Windows 8 a try, and if it doesn't suit you, downgrade. Microsoft won't stop you.

I'm still a fence-sitter. I'll dual-boot Win 8 Pro with Win 7 Home Premium (the version which came with the laptop) until I make a definite decision. There are things I like better in Windows 7, and there are things I like better in Windows 8. I definitely use Windows 8 more for networking and file transfers than Windows 7, but productivity applications work just fine in Windows 7, and there is a real Start Menu, among other conveniences for desktop applications.

We'll see how I feel in a year or so, after Windows 7 SP2 and Windows 8 SP1 have settled in.
    Last edited by bobprimak; 2012-10-16 at 14:13.
    -- Bob Primak --

New Lounger
    Thanks

Cool Whats the cost

Has anyone (microsoft too) ever wondered what the cost is to businesses world wide every time they change an system (windows or office). Something that staff were using quite competently suddenly becomes unfamiliar. Its ok for the home users & power users but the majority of employees arent that capable. Its more lost productivity as they try to come to terms with the new system. As a small business owner I have to many other things to do without having to stop & learn the quirks of new systems. Office 2003 still works & does all the things I need of it. My win7 looks like winxp in classic mode. My old 12 year old car even still gets me from point A to point B. Change for change sake is annoying. I think Microsoft forgets that time is money.

Thanks
    No one says you have to change.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Not completely true...

No one says you have to change.
    ... because there is such a thing as "end of extended support" for any and all Microsoft software. Then the previous poster WILL have to change and the gap that has to be bridged will be even wider.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Eike J Heinze
    What I am about
    SE Wisconsin

New Lounger
    Thanks

Tried it!

Hello,
    I have been using Windows since before Windows. i.e. dos
    I loaded win 8 in a virtual machine on my Mac and
    1. yes it is very different from others. Will have a learning curve.
    2. Designed for the death of the desktop because it is a tablet OS.
    3. I did find a way to run Win 8 looking like Win 7 as sort of emulation.
    4. Removed and use Win 7 on my mac when I Must be 100% Windows compatible i.e. Company software and exams.
    5. To each their own. I believe if people who buy a new PC will have info in documentation explaining the downgrade. At one point 2 years ago i purchased a HP desktop for a business and had the FREE option of Win 7 or Win Vista or Win XP build in upon first startup.

Each their own but i do believe I will stay with Win 7 as long as possible and hope someone comes out with a mac version of the software i need most.

Just thinking out loud.

Thomas

Oh in case I lost anyone, I an going MAC but again thats my decision, I have a 2012 Mac Book Air running IOS X 10.8.2 Lion
    and a Windows 7 Desktop and 2 windows 7 laptops since my wife converted to iPad2.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast