ZDNet is reporting the Newegg prices
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    It appears, from Paul Thurrotts article on pricing, that the upgrade version can only be installed on top of Win 8 RP .No clean installs. Does anyone know if this is true. That was also the info with the Win 7 upgrade but a custom install was possible. Thanks, Rich

Thanks
    That is not exactly the case.

Win 8 cannot be installed on a new HD that has not had a qualifying OS installed previously. For this installation the Full Install Media would have to be used.

For a HD, even a formatted HD, that has had a qualifying OS installed previously, the Upgrade Media can be used, whether you wish to do a Clean (Custom) install or an Upgrade Install.

Win 8 RP is technically not a qualifying underlying OS. You must have either Win XP, Win Vista or any Win 7 edition to qualify for the Upgrade Media installation. You can install over Win RP if it was installed over one of the qualifying OS's prior to installing Win 8 RP.

I hope this is able to be understood!

In addition the qualifying underlying OS must be replaced by Win 8, either with a Custom (Clean) Install or Upgrade Install if you use the Upgrade Media. You cannot use Win 8 and the qualified underlying OS since you are upgrading the qualifying OS to Win 8. If you wish to use the underlying OS and Win 8 you must purchase the Full Installation Media rather than the Upgrade Media.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Ted, At this time I have Win 7 HP installed in a partition on my 1st hard disk and Win 8 RP in a partition on a 2nd disk so I can dual boot. Are you saying I can't install a Win 8 upgrade on the 2nd disk and keep Win 7? Other than the EULA what would prevent this? Thanks, Rich

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Never mind Ted. I re-read Paul Thurrott's article and see that MS is controlling the downloads. As I can't seem to teach my wife new tricks I guess I'll stick with 7. Rich

Thanks
    Legally, if you are using Win 7 as your qualifying OS, no you cannot keep both while using the Upgrade Media.

In our case I put the Win 8 Ent. Eval. edition on both our PC's to see if my wife would like it. I did some simple customizations (most of the customizations I did are shown here). My wife says "This is cool, and it is so much like Win 7 that if I did not know you installed Win 8, I would not be able to tell them apart." The horror stories about a huge learning curve is blown way out of proportion IMO.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Thanks

Windows 8 Pro System Builder Pricing Revealed

http://www.computerworld.com/s/artic...ake_pre_orders

Note that the rules for a Personal Use License (PUL) for System Builder are new. This is different from System Builder OEM under the Windows 7 licenses. PUL System Builder does NOT require any underlying Windows OS or license, and it can be moved from one machine or virtual machine to another without obtaining a new license key. Dissimilar hardware will require reactivation, but not a new license key. Restoring this version from a System Image Backup should go off without a hitch, even if the hard drive is to be replaced.

http://www.tech-stew.com/post/2012/0...Windows-8.aspx

This article contains the complete plain-English text of the PULSB EULA from Microsoft for Windows 8 Pro System Builder. It is not necessary to have a pre-existing Windows license to use System Builder as outlined in this EULA.

The NewEgg pre-order cost for Windows 8 Pro System Builder (probably elegible for the free Media Center Upgrade during the Introductory Period until January 31, 2013) is $139.99, with free shipping. Unfortunately, if the market price drops between now and October 26, 2012, you must cancel your pre-order and re-enter a new order. There will then be the risk of Windows 8 Pro System Builder going out of stock or being back-ordered indefinitely, with a price hike very likely before your new order will ship.

Amazon.com is offering the System Builder Standard Edition (not Pro, and no Media Center upgrade) for $89.00 including a $10.00 discount and free Super-Saver shipping. They do have a price guarantee, protecting you from price drops between now and the shipping date. The Pro Pack upgrade stays at $69.00, and this price may become competitive with the Pro System Builder Edition if the Standard Edition price drops below $69.00 with various discounts. It looks like a Pro Pack upgrade will be elegible for the free Media Center Upgrade during the Introductory Period.

Unlike the Pro System Builder Edition, the Standard Edition makes you choose either 32-bit or 64-bit media.

Also, look for Black Friday deals later in November, 2012. These may cover both the OS and new Windows 8 (OEM) tablets.

Thus, this System Builder Edition under the new PULSB EULA is the closest thing to a Full Retail Boxed Set available under Windows 8 Pro licensing. This is the one to get if you have a device with no elegible OS for upgrading, or if you are dual-booting, or if you want to run Windows 8 Pro in a Virtual Machine on a PC or a Mac. Each Virtual Machine instance of Windows 8 must be separately licensed.
    Last edited by bobprimak; 2012-10-15 at 12:19.
    -- Bob Primak --

Thanks
    All my suppositions were using the Upgrade media. As Bob mentions these would be different using the Full Install - OEM media (I believe this is the system builder edition that Bob mentions.

It almost appears there will not be a Full Install retail version. There are Full Install - OEM editions mentioned in both 32 Bit and 64 Bit, and Standard and Pro editions, and the Upgrade Media in the Newegg listing (The OEM editions include 32 Bit OR 64 Bit, not both the way the Win 7 Full Install retail editions did).
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Thanks
    Yeah, the new PUL System Builder is essentially the old OEM, but the License Terms have been considerably modified. This is as close to a Full Retail DVD as will be offered.

Indeed, no "Full Retail Version" will be offered.

The Pro OEM will include both the 64-bit and the 32-bit installers. But not the Standard Edition OEM.

My information is posted in addition to Medico's information, not in opposition to it. This is just one more way to obtain and install Windows 8 Pro or Standard for your own personal use.

And if your wife doesn't like Windows 8, you can always downgrade back to Windows 7. (Provided you go Pro with Windows 8.) Even on a new machine with pre-installed Windows 8 Pro OEM (and here I do mean under the traditional OEM license terms). Turns out, no new Windows 7 license would be required in any event.
    Last edited by bobprimak; 2012-10-16 at 15:10.
    -- Bob Primak --