New Lounger
    Thanks

Outlook 2010 - how to delete emails off imap once archived on local drive

Hi,
    I'm a newby so I appreciate your patience and assistance.

I have the IMAP setup on my Outlook 2010. I have set the autoarchive to run every 7 days and to archive all emails beyond 6 months old. The archive works well and saves to a local folder, but I cannot find a way tro have these emails automatically deleted off the IMAP server.

Usually this shouldn't be an issue as I could 'simply select and delete the old emails' ... but I have a huge 'tree' of folders and it would take literally hours to go into each folder and subfolder, select the old emails and delete them.

Any shortcuts or settings I can apply?
    Thanks in advance

Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    What you need to do is automate the Purge function on the IMAP folders.

This is quite easy, but does remove a safety net - if at any time the archive of the emails or any other movement of mail goes awry, the purge will still happen and hence there is a slight increase in risk of losing data.

With that caveat in mind, Open Outlook 2010, select the Folder tab in the ribbon. Select Purge, then Purge Options from the context menu. In the Internet Email Settings window that launches, tick the "Purge items when switching folders while online" check box.

Now, each time you switch from the inbox to any other folder, the archived items will be purged from the server.
    In God we trust; all others must bring data.

- William Edwards Deming. 1900 - 1993

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Tinto Tech For This Useful Post:

brenmei (2012-10-14)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for your reply Tinto Tech,
    I checked and the purge setting was already in place. The archive works very well, but the messgaes do not purge at any time. They just stay there as if never archived. I have checked the archive records and the records are definitely there.
    Maybe there is another additional setting I need to put in place.

Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Sorry that the setting doesn't work for you. I have it ticked on one of my accounts and the purge runs fine.

Maybe there is a quirk in the way the archiving runs or perhaps it's dependent on the folder that the mail was is in before archiving? To be honest, I'm clutching at straws on those possibilities, so will be just as interested in the answer as you.
    In God we trust; all others must bring data.

- William Edwards Deming. 1900 - 1993

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Tinto Tech For This Useful Post:

brenmei (2012-10-15)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Will see. I will also try Microsoft and let you know what they say. Thanks for your efforts in helping me resolve this.

Thanks
    Go into the archive instructions. Make sure that it removes all items that it archives. If it archives but doesn't remove, then the items will stay in your main set of folders as well as going into the archive.

With imap, when you remove it from the mailbox (in this case, the inbox part of the mailbox), it will remove it from the server copy of the mailbox as well as the local copy of the mailbox, because imap is set up to keep the local copy synchronized with the server copy.

There is one thing about the "local" mailbox: there are actually two sets of folders in an imap setup: one set is synchronized with the server copy, and the other set is not.

Sometimes when I send something, it will show up in the non-synchronized sent folder, but most of the time it shows up in the synchronized sent folder. Once you see that happening, you know exactly what is happening.
    Last edited by mrjimphelps; 2012-10-16 at 14:12.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks mrjimphelps,
    All the hierarchy of files are as subfolders of the 'inbox' folder, so they all stay on the server. I set this up so I could read these emails in their separate folders on my tablet and smartphone. This is the great thing about IMAP.

I have actually been advised to investigate microsoft 365. Apparently they host email as well and the microsoft techie told me yesterday that the archiving would work exactly as I want as the hosting would replicate that of an exchange server. Not trying to sell microsoft 365 but it appears to have other added advantages which make it worth doing for my business.

Thanks
    The reason I like imap is because I check my mail from several different computers, and imap keeps them all synchronized. I have 10 GB of space available in my acct, and I'm nowhere near that limit. But if I was, I could create some folders in the non-synchronized part of my local email client, and simply move stuff to there. Or I could archive my email, making sure it removed what was archived from the original location.

My wife has pop3, but she always uses the same computer to check her email. Either that or her iPhone, but everything is simply copied to the iPhone, without deleting it from the server.

Good luck with the Microsoft 365. I'm not sure, but I'm guessing that it's web mail? You might want to make sure it allows for you to use a local email client, if you don't want just web mail.

Thanks
    brenmei:

If you are looking for email for your company, I highly recommend Rackspace. That's who my wife uses for her company. They have 24/7 customer service, and they give excellent service. And their price is reasonable. We have never been disappointed with them.

Jim