Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    New Lounger
    Thanks
    Well ... I was hoping someone would detect the problem :-( ... But I guess this just shows how intermittent/random it is ... I suppose I cuold use the macro option ... but the problem can be worked around more easily by right clicking the picture and using the size dialog. It's just a couple of extra clicks ... but I hate extra clicks :-) Thanks for giving it a try.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Yeah .. I downloaded the file to test it again ... and it still does malfunction for me ...

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The image sizing works as expected for me in both Word 2010 and 2013. I prefer to just use the right-click options to do it in fewer steps.

Normally I'd expect that the "Lock aspect ratio" is turned off if the image doesn't scale proportionally, but that is not the case in your example.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Eric ... OK ... but ... are you saying that resizing works using the instructions provided in the document ... or the right click dialog?

Actually, assuming that you are editing more than one picture ... and hence the Picture Tools ribbon is displayed ... it is less keystrokes to use the ribbon (zero to be exact vs 2 (right click & select Size and Position & then you have to travel some distance to the dialog :-)) ... although the ribbon is probably a longer distance to travel.

That's why I would like the ribbon to work consistently.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I did it both ways with the same results.

The ribbon method is okay for a small screen, but usually requires a lot more mouse movement than a right-click. I often work with 2 pages displayed so I can manage images on an open spread. The right-click method keeps my focus on the image to be modified.

However, I do agree that a ribbon -- or any interface -- must be consistent.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    OK ... thanks for trying ... I guess this is why the problem isn't getting fixed ... it is highly random ...

Well if anyone gets a solution ... or any more information that might help us debug the problem ... please post it ...

New Lounger
    Thanks

Archive history, this is a fix for a differnt issue that works here

This is for the same issue as not being able to view in layout mode.. also fixes not being able to resize it. I resolved the 2nd problem which fixed the 1st.

This is a reply to an 0ld thread & is intended to help anyone doing a search.

http://www.officearticles.com/word/m...osoft_word.htm

[*]If a picture will not resize using the Size group in the ribbon, right clicking the picture/image and selecting Size and Position and changing the picture/image size seems to reset Word so all images can be resized. Unfortunately, after a random period Word “resets” to the non-working variation and the right-click option has to be exercised again to “reset” Word.[/LIST]
    I know other people on the web (and in person) are having this problem but no solution has been found for this “feature” - well at least I cannot find a solution.

This problem can be found in a newly created document or a new image inserted into an existing document … but as I indicated, it is random. So sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn’t.

The documents and pictures/images are not protected that I am aware of.

At least one person has indicated that reinstalling Word did not correct the issue … but I don’t think that anyone will be surprised at that.

Can anyone help with why the Picture Tools tab/Size group does not work consistently? Do we have a better (non-random) workaround for the problem?
    [/QUOTE]

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Link is non-op. Can you please correct the link so that I can review?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I had the exact same problem as yours. It seems to occur when the "page break" shows on the screen. When I scroll up/down the page to make the page break disappeared, I can then adjust the size from the ribbon bar. Weird, I know, but it does work for me.

My environment:
    MS Word 2010
    Document View: Print Layout

10. The Following User Says Thank You to evew For This Useful Post:

Aussie (2014-03-22)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Oh my gosh (please assume that I am using significantly stronger expletives that I can't print here!) ...

With a small sample check ... the "page break" "fix" does seem to work. If the resize of a picture doesn’t work … scroll the page so no header is visible above the picture (e.g., the picture is at the top of the screen) … and like magic, the picture now resizes correctly. Scroll some of the picture off-screen if the picture is very close to the header.

Let’s hope that this fix sticks.

Thanks evew for a fix that nobody else could find!
    Last edited by Aussie; 2014-03-22 at 11:34. Reason: Updated poster name to evew

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Oh ... and demonstrating this fix to a friend ... I realized why the bug is "intermittent." Depending on where the page is positioned when the scroll to a picture is completed (header visible or not), controls whether the picture will resize or not.

Wow! I'm almost a happy camper ... ... I posted the bug in 2009 ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12