New Lounger
    Thanks

Install of SSD to HP laptop.

I have been trying to replace the WD 120 GB drive on a HP dv2310ca laptop with a Crucial M4 128GB SSD without success. I have duplicated the WD drive onto the SSD in many different ways, but upon installation, it refuses to boot. New drivers were loaded by the OS (VISTA). Any suggestions would be appreciated as Crucial nor HP have been able to help.

Thanks
    What errors do you get when you try to boot? What did you use to "duplicate" the drive?
    Try to go into BIOS and set SATA mode to IDE.

Jerry

Thanks
    I have read that you have to set the Bios to AHCI when using SSD drives. Here is what Crucial says about this.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    What software did you use, is there an option to copy the boot sector or similar?

The 'Crucial' link isn't anything official, it's a howto by a forum user. FWIW, my 128GB M4 benches at around 270/179, iirc, no option in my BIOS fo AHCI.

Thanks
    Put the old drive back in the laptop and make an image of it to an external drive.
    Create a bootable recovery USB stick.
    Get the latest firmware updates from crucial and have it ready on another bootable USB stick.
    Reinstall the Crucial SSD drive, remembering to set it to AHCI mode in BIOS.
    Flash the SSD with it's latest firmware.
    With the bootable image recovery USB stick you just made, restore the image you made of your OS from the other drive.

If the above doesn't work repeat the above steps, (except the firmware flash & image creation), and set the controler to IDE.
    AHCI mode can also be set in the registry afterward if the SSD will only accept an IDE mode installation.
    Last edited by CLiNT; 2012-10-13 at 20:06.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Motherboard: DX58SO2*Chipset: X58 Express/Intel ICH10*BIOS: SOX5820J.86A.0888.2012.0129.2203*Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU X 990
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 580*Memory: Corsair 12 GB, 4x3@1600*PSU: Corsair HX1000*Hard drives: REVO X2 160GB*OCZ VERT X3 120GB*5 mechanical storage drives (12 TB) total.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Have you tried a fresh install. If successful you may then be able to overwrite it with the image you have.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    If you have lost the MBR you can boot from the Vista install disk and choose repair option and click on the start-up repair choice. This should repair the install and make it bootable.
    Also check in Bios that the SSD is the first boot device.
    Clive

All typing errors are my own work and subject to patents pending. Except errors by the spell checker. And that has its own patients.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    You cannot duplicate a boot drive as the boot section will not be copied. You should either use a cloning program or create an Image of the working drive and put the SSD in and restore from the image choosing to format the SSD beforehand. Similar to Clint's suggestion.
    Clive

All typing errors are my own work and subject to patents pending. Except errors by the spell checker. And that has its own patients.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Have the proper MBR and can boot from the VISTA disk, but it refuses to recognize the SSD.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Tried this. No luck as cannot recognize SSD

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Used a cloning program from Crucial. Clone is OK.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Cannot set AHCI mode in Bios

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Jerry, I just get a message that no disk is found. I used EZ Gig IV Cloning software to clone the drive. I have been able to access the drive by playing around with many different setings but nothing works consistantly. Starts up then will not restart - clone seems to be OK. Cannot set IDE mode as there is no provision to make these changes in the Bios.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,153 Times in 1,062 Posts
    I spent the best of this early morning setting up a Crucial m4 256GB that I purchased taking advantage of a sale price. My experience was a bit similar to yours, initially. My Toshiba laptop wasn't booting and after some attempts restarting the computer, I was patient enough to let the computer take me to the BIOS setup screen, where I configured it to IDE mode. Windows 8 complained twice there was a problem, allowed me to get into safe mode, then I just rebooted and windows loaded properly. I ended up booting again, going into the BIOS screen, set the mode to AHCI and let it boot again. It did, Windows 8 complained, booted to safe mode, immediate reboot and all seemed well.
    After a couple restarts it wouldn't boot. I waited long enough for the laptop to tell me there was no boot drive, went into the BIOS, repeated the process again and Windows eventually loaded normally. I then downloaded the latest firmware and applied it and have rebooted quite a few times since and it has all been working fine.

So my experience has been to allow the laptop to give me access to the BIOS setup, once it finds no boot device. Set the mode you want, boot into Windows and as soon as you can, apply the latest firmware.
    Your current problem, most likely, is not that the migration kit failed (it works surprisingly smoothly), but the laptop not recognizing the drive. Maybe going through the BIOS setup, as I did, can help.