Lounger
    Thanks

windows updates not working

A few days ago I successfully installed some critical windows updates (2724197, 2731847, 2749655 and 2756822). I'm still getting those updates on the windows update screen but when I try to install them it fails. When I try to uninstall those updates that fails also.

Also the boot time has increased dramatically. The splash screen with "press ESC for startup menu" stays on for 2-4 minutes, eventually the hard drive light flicks a couple times and then it goes to the next screen. The windows splash screen appears for 20-40 seconds then goes to the user login screen. But it's 20-30 seconds before I can type my password into the box.

Once the desktop comes up it is another 1-2 minutes before I can start a program.

An HP machine running Win 7 sp1 Home Premium. Been kept up-to-date until this started.

Fred

Thanks
    Hi Fred,
    WSL.JPG

Install http://www.filehippo.com/download_ccleaner/ and run the cleaner using default settings.
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!

Lounger
    Thanks
    I use CCleaner regularly, and several times since this happened, no joy. Ran both the file cleaner and the registry cleaner.

I also tried restoring to a set point a day before running the updates, no joy.

Thanks
    The splash screen with "press ESC for startup menu" stays on for 2-4 minutes
    This is an indication that BIOS is having a hard time enumerating a drive on your computer and/or finding a boot sector in your drive boot order. If you have a usb drive, unplug it. Go into BIOS, and verify that it recognizes all your cd and hard drives. Also, set your hard drive first in your boot order.

Jerry