Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Star Lounger
    Thanks

Quicken won't load account

I am running Quicken 2004, the last UK version produced by Intuit on Win XP Pro SP3, and have been doing so since 2004 without any problems. This old version is not compatible with Windows 7 so in my preparations for Win 7 I thought I would try Quicken 2010 (the US version). This would not load until I uninstalled the current version. Before I did this I copied over my Quicken files and the backup files to a thumb drive for safety. The experiment with 2010 did not work so I uninstalled it and re-installed 2004 from the original disk. When I tried to load my current account from its original position on the HD it reported “Can’t open this file” and “Unable to open the selected file”. I then tried to Restore from the backup file and obtained the same messages. In desperation I tried the USB thumb drive and the account loaded without any problems.

Not wanting to have to use the thumb drive every time I worked at my accounts I tried copying the files back to the hard disk and tried using SendTo without avail. I loaded the file and then used Quicken’s Copy but it still wouldn’t load the copy it had just made. I continue to request a routine backup after every use but I don’t know why because it cannot restore from it’s backup files.

Since Intuit no longer supports version 2004 I have no help there.

Has anyone any ideas about what is going on here and, hopefully, provide a solution.

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    Back in 2004, Quicken used a set of files for its data with extensions like .QDF .QEL .QSD .QPH and .IDX

If you try to restore part of the set you will get an error. They have to all be in sync to open and all in the same folder.

A possible way to finesse the program is to create a new account in a separate folder with the name you want to use. This will cause Quicken to create the correct set of files. Then copy over this set with your old files and try Quicken again to see if it will open the replaced file set.

I don't know what you meant when you said you " tried using SendTo without avail". I have always just copied the files using a file manager.

Also, if your test of Quicken 2010 converted your HD resident copies of the account files, the conversion would not be compatible with the 2004 version. That may be why you got the initial “Can’t open this file” and “Unable to open the selected file” error messages.

I hope this helps.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to JC Zorkoff For This Useful Post:

Jasper7216 (2013-02-16)

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes, Quicken 2004 does have numerous files with different extensions but when you click on File/Open Quicken offers only the .QDF file. There is no way to incorporate the others. You seem to have missed the point that I have been using this program since 2004 and it has never had problems opening, backing up or restoring files until now.

In my post I said "I had tried copying the files back to the hard disk" so, of course, I was using a file manager. I could not try to Move the files as the files on the thumb drive were my only set I added the Quicken folder on my HD to the SendTo menu and tried that as an alternative way of transferring the files.

Quicken 2010 did not convert any files as it rejected them as 'foreign' files. In any case I was not so stupid as to let Q2010 loose on my secure backed up files. It only looked at the data in the Quicken folder on my HD. I have copied the data from the thumb drive to various places on two different HDs and that didn't work either.

You suggestion seems to have some merit but I have not had time to try it. If it works I shall certainly let you know.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Worked like a charm! Many thanks.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Interesting to discover other users of "legacy" versions of Quicken in the UK! Readers might be interested to know that I am using Quicken 2002 deluxe on Windows 7 64-bit, without any problem. I know that I am exposed (no support, etc.) should anything go wrong, and keep looking for a replacement, but have not found the answer yet. It looks as if I am not alone!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to JohnFleming For This Useful Post:

thedux (2012-10-18)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    And I'm using Quicken 2004 successfully on Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit. It required a little tweaking of the comparability settings to get it to run properly but it's fine now.

Damn Intuit for dumping its UK users!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Phurrie For This Useful Post:

thedux (2012-10-18)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Instructions to install quicken 2004 on vista,7 and 7 64

1. Make sure you are an Administrator of the Vista PC. If you only have one account you probably are, if you need to check: Start | Control Panel | User Accounts | Add or remove User Accounts.
    2. Goto www.dlldump.com and download the 3 dlls MFC70.dll, msvcr70.dll and msvcp70.dll. Ideally download them straight to where Quicken is installed (C:\Program Files\Quicken) but Vista would not let me do that, I had to download them to my user Documents folder first then copy them from there to the Quicken install dir.
    3. Open a DOS box (Start | All Programs | Accessories | Command Prompt).
    4. At the DOS prompt type (you'll need to change the dll location if Quicken is not installed in C:\Program Files\Quicken):
    regsvr32 /s "C:\Program Files\Quicken\qwapp.dll"
    regsvr32 /s "C:\Program Files\Quicken\qwinver.dll"
    That's it - Quicken will now run and you can load your file (BACK IT UP SEVERAL TIMES AND PUT THE BACKUPS SOMEWHERE SAFE FIRST).

12. The Following User Says Thank You to serifall For This Useful Post:

timsinc (2012-10-18)

New Lounger
    Thanks

Cool Quicken 2004 and Win8

I'm wondering about Quicken 2004 and Win8 - anybody tried that yet?

New Lounger
    Thanks

Version 3 (1998)

I am still using QB version 3 (that is version 3, not 2003) from 1998 on my Windows 7/64. I need to run it under XP on the free Microsoft Virtual PC and save reports to a PDF generator but it still works.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Good to know that I am not the only one suffering from Intuit's withdrawal from the UK market. I had come across references on the Web of people using 2004 successfully on Win 7 but it seemed that they were not using Home Premium (which I plan to use) which has a more limited compatibility power. It is important when discussing Win 7 to mention the version and whether it is 32- or 64-bit. So it does run on Ultimate as Phurrie reports but what version are you using serifal?

I plan to try 2010 first since it is compatible with Home Premium but if I fail to transfer my account files using MS Money as a go-between, then I will revert back to 2004 and see if it will run in compatibility mode.

Watch this space in a couple of weeks.

Lounger
    Thanks

15 years a UK Quicken user

I, too, am a UK user of Quicken 2004. I've tried some other applications but none come close to Quicken.

I've been using it since 1997 when I also used it for my business and have never had a problem reinstalling after a Windows upgrade. Currently it's running perfectly in Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit and is the very first application I test after an upgrade. There's a second copy on my laptop and an automatic sync of the data files between desktop and laptop.

I shudder to think what'll happen if it ever fails on me as I use almost all of it's facilities including Forecasting, Inventory and downloads from my bank.

I don't recollect having to download any dlls for Win7 (all 3 are in my Quicken dir, dated 8/12/2004) but will keep a note of serifall's instructions in case they're needed for win8.

I wonder how many in the UK are still using Quicken?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I too am running Quicken 2004 on Windows 7 64bit, on both my desktop and laptop.

On my desktop I get a UAC prompt when I launch it, but on my laptop I don't get the prompt and Quicken loads straight away.

I use ViceVersaPro from TGRMN software to keep the Desktop and Laptop Quicken files in synch with each other.

I started using Quicken back in the days of Windows 3.1 with a copy that from a computer magazine. I have upgraded with new versions right up to version 2004.

I tried to find other software that was on a par with Quicken after Intuit cancelled any further UK development, but I didn't find any that I could get along with.

Note to Kenwa;

How did you get the US version in the UK.

I've tried online and got stymied every time.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Another Quicken user here! Quicken 2001 running on both W7 32x and 64x with no problems whatsoever. Goodness knows what I'll do if it ever fails to run, I rely on it so much.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Perhaps I should have been more specific, my system is Windows 7 Professional 64-bit, and I think that Win 7 Home Premium might not cut it. I do not recall having to jump through all the hoops that serifall outlined in his post. Are Intuit aware of their loyal following in the UK, not that they have done anything to deserve such loyalty?

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    M.Doncaster - try E-Bay

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast