Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Word 2007 formatting problem

I have a Word doc with a table on the first page. The second page is blank except for a single paragraph mark, but I am unable to get rid of the second page.

I know I can make the table smaller on the first page, or adjust the margins to get around this issue, but I am curious as to why I am unable to remove that single paragraph mark and get rid of page 2. Just trying to understand what Word is doing. A sample of the doc is attached.

Thanks
    Attached Files Attached Files

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    There must be a paragraph (empty or otherwise) after a table. In your document, that paragraph wraps to a new page. If you select that paragraph and set the font size to 2 points, it will stay on page 1.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to richardbarrett For This Useful Post:

CyndieBrowning (2013-03-01),Vincenzo (2012-10-14)

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    OK that works, when I show formatting marks and select the paragraph mark that I see there, changing it to 2 pts does the trick. But why, once it is selected, can I not delete it, or even backspace over it to delete it?

Thanks
    Last edited by Vincenzo; 2012-10-14 at 18:32.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    As Richard said, a document cannot end with a table. The final paragraph mark is required because it contains other useful stuff such as the page setup of the final section in the document.
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Andrew Lockton For This Useful Post:

Vincenzo (2012-10-15)

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Now I understand. Thanks to both of you for the help.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Or you could just delete one of the lines in the table if it wasn't essential.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    It also worked when I used Print Preview and dragged down the marker in the left margin.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    In studying your table format I suggest some significant changes in the way you format and add data to your table and how you control your columnar data. To begin with, I would get away from floating logo boxes and just place your logo in the header. Next I suggest using the standard table formatting available in Word. Next - I would minimize control of row height using paragraph or hard line break returns. Use paragraph spacing format. I have attached an example for your perusal.
    Attached Files Attached Files

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I've looked at your example, still unclear on some items.

Quote Originally Posted by pdiggins View Post
    Next I suggest using the standard table formatting available in Word.
    Not sure what you mean? Do you mean using one of the premade tables in Word?

Quote Originally Posted by pdiggins View Post
    Use paragraph spacing format.
    Please explain. Thanks
    Last edited by Vincenzo; 2012-10-18 at 15:12.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by johntob View Post
    It also worked when I used Print Preview and dragged down the marker in the left margin.
    In my Print Preview (Word 2007) I have no markers in the left margin. Thanks

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Vincenzo View Post
    In my Print Preview (Word 2007) I have no markers in the left margin. Thanks
    I use Word 2007. In Print Preview make sure there's a tick in Show Ruler. When you drag the 'Bottom Margin' down, the number of pages changes straightaway from 2 to 1.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to johntob For This Useful Post:

Vincenzo (2012-10-18)

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Ok I never knew you could adjust margins in Print Preview. Thanks

Thanks
    I always put several blank lines into the document before adding a table. I then go to the middle of the blank lines and add the table, making sure that there are blank lines before and after the table.

In this way, you can add stuff before and after the table if you choose to. However, if you don't want to, you can easily delete the blank lines.

I do this because you can't easily add blank lines before and after the table after creating the table, if the table is the only thing in the document.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Vincenzo View Post
    Ok I never knew you could adjust margins in Print Preview. Thanks
    You can adjust pretty much everything in Print Preview. I find that that is the easiest place to make adjustments.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mrjimphelps View Post
    I always put several blank lines into the document before adding a table. I then go to the middle of the blank lines and add the table, making sure that there are blank lines before and after the table.

In this way, you can add stuff before and after the table if you choose to. However, if you don't want to, you can easily delete the blank lines.

I do this because you can't easily add blank lines before and after the table after creating the table, if the table is the only thing in the document.
    mrjimphelps,
    If you don't have a Paragraph before your table, you can always add a paragraph BEFORE a Table by placing your cursor at the First space in the table (top row, of course) and then hitting the Split Table in the Table tools->Layout->Merge section of the ribbon.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast