Thread: Now what?

Lounger
    Thanks

Now what?

I have a new machine with a 40gb hd that is partitioned into a 4gb c-drive, 15gb d-drive, and the rest in e-drive. I had Win98 SE on the c-drive and most of my applications on the d-drive. I did an upgrade to XP home that failed with one minute to go. A couple of hours with the help desk left me worse off. Then I installed XP to the d-drive, so I have some functionality. Now I want to put XP on the c-drive and delete it off the d-drive.

I'm thinking that I should copy everything from the c-drive to the e-drive as a backup, reformat the c-drive and do a full XP install, delete XP from the d-drive, then reinstall all my software. Does this make sense?

ileacy

Re: Now what?

As I understand your situation:

1)The C: partition is now partially corrupt, ie. left in the state from the incomplete upgrade. However, data on c: is still readable.
    2)The information previously on D: and E: is still intact. D: contains w98 application software and some data. E: contains only data plus some backup areas.
    3)D: Now also includes a bootable and useable WinXP Configuration.

Given the above I would probably go ahead almost as you planned. Sequence suggested is:

1)Create backups of data from C: and D: to E: (assuming you have enough space).
    2)Review list of software that you still want to use. Make sure you have any media, registration keys, etc. that will be needed to re-install software. This is also a good time to check for updated or XP specific releases. Stage anything that you will need on E:.
    3)Blow away (re-format) C:, install XP.
    4)Blow away D:, re-install apps.
    5)Recover data, test applications.

Hopefully this will bring you back to a useable system, and in the process, do a major cleanup on your system.

Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks, Ian. Your additions make sense. Speaking of data, do you have any idea what might have happened to my Outlook 2002 database (.pst file) during the upgrade?

ileacy

It should still be intact. It is one of the data files you need to backup.

Lounger
    Thanks

Explorer can't find a .pst file anywhere. I also tried searching for text strings that I knew would be in email text, with nothing found. So either it was deleted, which doesn't seem likely, or it is in some kind of compressed form.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

They are hiddenin the newer versions so you must turn on the system files and then you should be able to find it.

Depending on what OS and what version of Outlook these filese will be in different locations.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Lounger
    Thanks

See above re: OS and version of Outlook. I included system files and hidden files and folders in the search.

Why would an XP OS upgrade mess with Office files?

Super Moderator
    Thanks

"Why would an XP OS upgrade mess with Office files?"
    Each user has their own copy of PST, normal template, temp, internet temp files and etc., which will be placed in the user account under "Documents and settings"

If I remember right in Windows 98 and Office 2002 PST files are placed in the Outlook folder under
    Windows
    Application Data
    Microsoft
    Outlook

If you are using "profiles" and or any other means of sharing the computer they may be else where.

Lounger
    Thanks

That path doesn't exist anymore...

I did find a folder called Undo that contains a 367mb file called Backup.cab. However, when I open that file in Explorer it shows only a partial listing of the files within it. Any idea how I can discover what else is in this file?

Super Moderator
    Thanks

try this
    Windows
    Local Settings
    Application Data
    Microsoft
    Outlook

Lounger
    Thanks

Ian, I did as you suggested and everything is back to normal, except all my email seems to be gone forever, unless it's hidden somewhere in the 370meg backup.cab file. However, the XP that was on my D-drive has left some vestige that shows up as a choice during the boot-up sequence. Do you know how to get rid of that as well?

Many thanks to you and DaveA for the help.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Hi
    If the XP option appears on boot up, it is an entry in a file on the active partition called boot.ini. Save a copy of this first, then remove the hidden etc. attributes. Edit it in in Notepad to remove the line you no longer want. Replace the attributes and Save it. Incidentally, whilst you're in this file, you can set the count-down timer so you don't have to wait as long before making a selection. I find 8 secs is about right.

Lounger
    Thanks

That did the trick. Thanks.