Thanks

The Windows 8 UI: How do interface and usability experts rate the changes

Thanks
    It appears they are saying something very similar to what we have been saying. Yes there will be shock for first time users. We might be inundated with questions. I believe I will be pointing toward my short tutorial about taking the scary out quite often.

I have not actually seen the problems quite so radically as they seem to with the desktop on a conventional PC. This might be due to the customizations and add-ons I have done to our PC's. Most of my customizations are shown in the tutorial. Perhaps this is because I have been using Win 8 full time for the last 6 or 7 months.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    Yes, it can be improved on to make it workable with third party add ons but the article points out that the basic interface is flawed and unintuitive. Microsoft could easily avoided all this but they obviously are moving to a new paradigm and they are pushing users into the Metro/Modern UI as much as possible. Don't be surprised if the desktop as we now know it will be gone in Windows 9 even though there will be some support for "legacy" desktop apps.

Jerry

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    "Right-clicking is a fairly expert user behavior"

Isn't that taught in kindergarten these days?

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceR View Post
    Isn't that taught in kindergarten these days?
    No, because all storks have now been trained to impart that skill to babies while en-route to the new parents.

Seriously, in my experience there is widespread ignorance of right-clicking amongst normal adult users, or a perception of it leading to options regarded by them as being mysterious, dangerous and frightening.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by John259 View Post
    Seriously, in my experience there is widespread ignorance of right-clicking amongst normal adult users, or a perception of it leading to options regarded by them as being mysterious, dangerous and frightening.
    I agree. I just thought the quote from the article sounded amusing, as if pressing the right button was somehow more difficult to master than pressing the left button.

Bruce

Thanks
    My experience is the 90 per cent of the casual users I encounter have no idea of its existence and never use it. Even after I show it to them, they forget about it and rarely if ever use it. People want computers to be an appliance and just push buttons without having to remember a right vs left click, not to mention double click vs right click.
    I have some older clients that simply can not do a double click because they tend to move the mouse enough between clicks to miss the hot spot.
    Jerry