Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks

PC to dual monitors connection

Computers I understand. Monitors and their connections are beyond me.

I have two Dell desktops that I want to replace with two Dell 8500's that have
    an AMD Radeon HD 7570 graphics card. The card has 1 HDMI and 1 DVI port.
    Each of my current computers has 2 Dell 1907FP monitors. The monitors
    have 1 DVI and 1 VGA port. I want to keep the 4 monitors and connect them to the
    2 new 8500 computers. I can't change the graphiccs card.

My question is will the following connection work properly?

PC's HDMI port connected to monitor #1's DVI port with an HDMI to DVI cable?/connector?/adapter?
    PC's DVI port connected to monitor #2's VGA port with a DVI to VGA cable?/connector?/adapter?

I've been told it will work, it will work but the quality will be poor, it won't work, it will work
    only with a converter, the HDMI connection with work with some cables and not with others
    (hit and miss) and 10 other opinions.

So, being at a loss, I've come to ask the experts here. Any information you may provide will be very greatly appreciated.

Thank you very much for your time and trouble.

Thanks
    Should work fine. My only question is why you are converting the DVI to VGA since your monitors support DVI?
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

VBA Rules!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Thanks
    Why not go through Dell support. These are all Dell components.
    They will be in a better position to tell you what will work and what will not.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Motherboard: DX58SO2*Chipset: X58 Express/Intel ICH10*BIOS: SOX5820J.86A.0888.2012.0129.2203*Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU X 990
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 580*Memory: Corsair 12 GB, 4x3@1600*PSU: Corsair HX1000*Hard drives: REVO X2 160GB*OCZ VERT X3 120GB*5 mechanical storage drives (12 TB) total.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RetiredGeek View Post
    Should work fine. My only question is why you are converting the DVI to VGA since your monitors support DVI?
    Thank you for your reply. Very glad to hear you say that it will work!

The reason for the DVI to VGA is that the Dell 8500 comes with a DVI>VGA
    cable or adapter. Do you feel that it would be better to use PC DVI to monitor DVI,
    and HDMI>VGA on the other monitor(if that's possible)?

Sorry for one more question, but for the HDMI>DVI connection, would you recommend
    using a cable or adapter, if either one could be used?

Thank you again for your help.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CLiNT View Post
    Why not go through Dell support. These are all Dell components.
    They will be in a better position to tell you what will work and what will not.
    I assure you that I did go thru Dell at first. Then to Dell again to confirm. I got two opposite
    answers. Went to Dell again and got a 'maybe' etc.

Thank you.

Thanks
    From the DVI connector on the Video card I'd use a normal DVI to DVI cable.
    From the HDMI connector I'd use a HDMI -> DVI converter then a normal DVI to DVI cable.

BTW: the specs for that Video Card say it will handle 4 monitors though I don't know how you would connect them.

RG

VBA Rules!

Laptop Specs

New Lounger
    Thanks
    From the DVI connector on the Video card I'd use a normal DVI to DVI cable.
    From the HDMI connector I'd use a HDMI -> DVI converter then a normal DVI to DVI cable.

BTW: the specs for that Video Card say it will handle 4 monitors though I don't know how you would connect them.

>From the HDMI connector I'd use a HDMI -> DVI converter then a normal DVI to DVI cable.
    So for the 2nd monitor I don't need to connect to its VGA port at all then? It that correct?

Thank you

Thanks
    I see absolutely no reason to degrade your output to VGA when DVI connector is available.

RG

VBA Rules!

Laptop Specs

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I see absolutely no reason to degrade your output to VGA when DVI connector is available.
    Thank you.

So as I understand it using the DVI ports on both monitors would be the better solution.

In your previous post you stated;
    'From the HDMI connector I'd use a HDMI -> DVI converter then a normal DVI to DVI cable.'
    By 'converter' do you mean the thing that costs around $40, or just a HDMI > DVI cable?
    Going to Amazon 'converter' seems to be used for both.

Sorry for the additional questions, but when it comes to monitors I just don't know my
    right click from my left.

Thank you

Thanks
    Gaijin,

If you Google HDMI to DVI you'll get plenty of hits and all should work. I prefer the small block converter vs the cable because if or when You later purchase a new machine or just video card with 2 DVI connectors you will then have the DVI cables you need and won't have to buy a new one.hdmitodvi.JPG Just my preference though the cables with the proper connectors on either side should work just as well.

RG

VBA Rules!

Laptop Specs

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Gaijin,

If you Google HDMI to DVI you'll get plenty of hits and all should work. I prefer the small block converter vs the cable because if or when You later purchase a new machine or just video card with 2 DVI connectors you will then have the DVI cables you need and won't have to buy a new one.hdmitodvi.JPG Just my preference though the cables with the proper connectors on either side should work just as well.
    Hi RetiredGeek,

Thank you for the additional information. I will use the converters you suggested.

When speaking to Dell today I told them that I was going to go with your recommendation of
    DVI to DVI on one monitor, and HDMI to DVI on the 2nd one. He agreed that that would be the
    best connection.
    However, he did say that with the newer card and the older monitors there might be a problem
    with the resolution. How do you feel about that? This is the monitor:http://reviews.cnet.com/lcd-monitors...-31694881.html.

Thank you.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Re: PC to dual monitor connection

Hi gaijin,

When speaking to Dell today I told them that I was going to go with your recommendation of
    DVI to DVI on one monitor, and HDMI to DVI on the 2nd one. He agreed that that would be the
    best connection.
    Personally I would use an HDMI cable from the computer and an HDMI to DVI adapter at the monitor.
    (female HDMI to male DVI-D adapter - a quick search shows prices of $2.50 USD and up.)

My reasoning is the adapter with DVI-D cable attached is a little bulky and I would not want that hanging
    from the computers HDMI port.

As for image quality, I think it will be improved but whether you will be able to tell on these monitors, that's
    for you to tell.

I have done as I suggested with my HD projector and the quality is definitely improved over a VGA connection.

Let us know how it works out.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by OhioKiwi View Post
    Hi gaijin,

Personally I would use an HDMI cable from the computer and an HDMI to DVI adapter at the monitor.
    (female HDMI to male DVI-D adapter - a quick search shows prices of $2.50 USD and up.)

My reasoning is the adapter with DVI-D cable attached is a little bulky and I would not want that hanging
    from the computers HDMI port.

As for image quality, I think it will be improved but whether you will be able to tell on these monitors, that's
    for you to tell.

I have done as I suggested with my HD projector and the quality is definitely improved over a VGA connection.

Let us know how it works out.
    Hi OhioKiwi,

Thank you for that suggestion. Yes, I can see how that setup would be bulky.
    When you say that you think the image quality will be improved, do you mean
    by using your setup instead of HDMI>adapter>DVI cable>DVI? Or do you mean
    over the DVI>DVI connector>VGA cable>VGA port to the 2nd monitor which was
    one of Dell's 100 suggestions?

I should really go the easy way and just buy 4 new monitors. But I find that hard
    to do as those I have are still as good as new.

Thank you again.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
    Hi RetiredGeek,

However, he did say that with the newer card and the older monitors there might be a problem
    with the resolution. How do you feel about that?
    Thank you.
    I wouldn't worry about it at all. You can set the video card to match the Native resolution of the monitors (always the best solution). Now if you had new monitors with higher resolution than your existing video card could support that would be an entirely different story.

RG

VBA Rules!

Laptop Specs

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I wouldn't worry about it at all. You can set the video card to match the Native resolution of the monitors (always the best solution). Now if you had new monitors with higher resolution than your existing video card could support that would be an entirely different story.
    That's very good to hear and a big relief as I use my computers for trading. Would hate to misread a chart!!

From all the information I've gotten here I now at least understand how the connections are done.

Thank you again and have a great day!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast