New Lounger
    Thanks

Formatting an address in a single line with bullets as separators

I am so bad at creating decent looking documents and I am just getting more and more frustrated doing what I feel should be easy things.

I am trying to write an address in a footer in Word 2010. I would like the address to have bullets as separators.

Something like:
    1234 Drury Lane <bullet> Hometown, NY 12345 <bullet> Phone (212) 212-1212

Those <bullet>'s would be replaced by an actual bullet. How do I do this? Any help is greatly appreciated.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Can you not find an appropriate symbol (bullet) in the symbols feature? (Insert tab, Symbols group, Insert Symbols)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Richard,

Thanks for the reply. I started messing around with the symbols and I can certainly do that in the body of my document but is there a reason why I cannot access the symbols in my footer? Are symbols not supported there or am I just doing something wrong?

Thanks very much.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    One more note. It seems if I just create a Footer, I can type whatever I want in there, which is cool. I guess my problem is that I created the footer and then for some reason, I used the Quick Parts -> Company Address from the Text panel and then attempted to put the address in there. If I do that, the Symbols seem to be greyed out. So, I guess the solution is to not use the Quick Parts. For my knowledge, when would I want to use the Quick Parts?

Thanks!

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quick Parts is a category of content that is part of the Building Blocks.

The Building Blocks are like a library where you can store things you use regularly and you can get a copy of that content any time you need it. Microsoft fill it with lots of examples (mainly useless junk) but the real power is gained by putting your own content into the Building Blocks.

The Quick Parts happen to be the most obvious category for inserting into a document because MS have given you a button which displays them by default. Other categories of Building Blocks include Header, Footer, Autotext, Cover Pages etc. Some of these categories are treated a little differently when you chose to insert them (eg Headers get put in the page header).
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    You can get a bullet (•) by typing Alt-0149 (use the numeric keypad instead of the digits on the main keyboard).

I agree with Andrew about the default Quick Parts being mostly useless: you'll be much better off learning to create your own footers & headers -- and then save any you expect to use regularly as a new building block.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks all for the help. This was a great learning experience.

Thanks
    I just opened up a new Word 2007 document, right-clicked in the bottom area of the page and chose Edit Footer. I then chose Insert / Symbol / More Symbols from the top menu, highlighted the bullet character, and clicked Insert. The bullet appeared in the footer.

You'll need to copy and paste it for additional bullets. Also, you'll need to adjust the ruler settings, so that everything is formatted correctly. So it's not an automatic process. But it is available. Not a big hassle, because you aren't putting very much into your footer.