Thread: USB 3.0 anomaly

Thanks

USB 3.0 anomaly

Hi All,

Ok, here's one that has me stumped.
    My wife's new Dell XPS14z laptop has 1 USB 3.0 port and 1 USB 2.0 port.
    When I connect my 1TB WD My Passport Essential USB 3.0 drive to the USB 3.0 port on the 14z I can boot Macrium Reflect Windows PE enviornment from the Passport however once inside Reflect the drive does not show up so I can't select the other partition as the destination for the image!

If I connect the drive to the USB 2.0 port via a multi-port hub everything works as it should. So why will it boot from the drive and then fail to see the drive?
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

VBA Rules!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    I don't know but I'm experiencing the same issue with my Lenovo X220.
    It may be lack of driver support for USB. There still appears to be many driver related issues ongoing with USB 3.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Motherboard: DX58SO2*Chipset: X58 Express/Intel ICH10*BIOS: SOX5820J.86A.0888.2012.0129.2203*Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU X 990
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 580*Memory: Corsair 12 GB, 4x3@1600*PSU: Corsair HX1000*Hard drives: REVO X2 160GB*OCZ VERT X3 120GB*5 mechanical storage drives (12 TB) total.

Thanks
    CLiNT,

I could understand it being a driver issue if it didn't boot from the USB3.0 HD but it does. Why would the driver fail to see the drive after it booted from it?

RG

VBA Rules!

Laptop Specs

Thanks
    Hi RG,
    with your usb 3.0 connected to the 3.0 port, try uninstalling it in Device Manager then reboot.
    George's PC Specs. / Laptop. Desktop.

Thanks
    RR,

Thanks for the suggestion. However, since the USB 3.0 HD boots directly into Macrium Reflect I don't have access to the standard Windows utilities. This is booting the Windows PE {Pre-Install Environment}.

RG

VBA Rules!

Laptop Specs

Thanks
    It won't be something you can fix, only the maker of the driver will be able to do so.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Motherboard: DX58SO2*Chipset: X58 Express/Intel ICH10*BIOS: SOX5820J.86A.0888.2012.0129.2203*Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU X 990
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 580*Memory: Corsair 12 GB, 4x3@1600*PSU: Corsair HX1000*Hard drives: REVO X2 160GB*OCZ VERT X3 120GB*5 mechanical storage drives (12 TB) total.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RetiredGeek View Post
    RR,

Thanks for the suggestion. However, since the USB 3.0 HD boots directly into Macrium Reflect I don't have access to the standard Windows utilities. This is booting the Windows PE {Pre-Install Environment}.
    I could never get flash drives to boot up correctly so I just use disks.
    George's PC Specs. / Laptop. Desktop.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Why would you want to save your images to the same drive as the software that creates the image? Normally you use CD disc or Flashdrive for booting and have your image on another drive. If your backup drive fails due to mechanical failure you also lose the abilty to boot into the recovery partition.
    Clive

All typing errors are my own work and subject to patents pending. Except errors by the spell checker. And that has its own patients.

Thanks
    Clive,

I set it up this way so I don't need to use 2 USB ports and I only need one device. Should the boot partition fail I can still access the other partition via USB Key {yes I backup my backup boot media} if necessary or access it via another computer in windows and copy the image file to another drive if necessary. If the entire drive fails then it doesn't matter anyway...that's what the image on the other drive is for. Do I sound a bit paranoid? Remember just because you think they are out to get you doesn't mean they aren't!

RG

VBA Rules!

Laptop Specs

New Lounger
    Thanks
    From what I've seen, USB 3.0 will work as a USB 2.0.... so, first thing I'd try is reversing the procedure and see if that produces the desired effect, i.e.: use the USB 3 port as the receiver and the USB 2 port as the sender / or vice versa if I read wrong... A friend of mine did that, with a different program of course, but it did fix his problem and got his work done.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    +1 with Jwesley

USB3 does have some odd moments. In part it depends on which version of USB3 driver you are using. I absolutely detest the drivers from Marvell. They have given me LOTS of problems and I now refuse to use them in any of my computers. I default to either the generic Windows driver (better than Marvell) or use an Intel port instead. Marvell was the most likely driver for the USB3 port for some time. Now there are a couple of other drivers that have been in use and they are much better. Problem is that the drivers are for 'that' USB3 port (hardware specific), they are not interchangeable.

I have seen USB3 get 'flakey' many times. Best is to use a work-around like Jwesley suggests until the drivers are eventually trouble free.