New Lounger
    Thanks

W7 Start up freeze w/external hard drive

I have a brand new PC with with W7 64bit Home Premium installed. When I start the PC with my 2 external usb HD's attached/plugged in - the PC hangs and will not boot up. When I unplug the 2 HD usb connections to the PC - start up is a breeze.

I interrupted a normal boot up - to see if I could see an issue - but it looks like the bios is set to boot from the DVD drive then PC HD - so I wonder what else I can do ? This is an HP PC and I can't seem to login into what I would call a traditional bios screen - what's the best way to troubleshoot and/or reset the boot up so I can leave the back up drives plugged in ?
    Last edited by Roger Hunt; 2012-10-17 at 13:46.

Thanks
    We have heard that some PC's do not like a USB HD plugged in and some do not mind. I am not sure if a cause was ever found. You are certain there was no Other Device (USB) in the Bios before the HD? This could cause problems.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

New Lounger
    Thanks
    No - I checked the BIOS screen that comes up and the order was DVD, then HD. I can leave a 8gb jump drive attached with no problem - but the external HD's stop the start up process dead. I now have to unplug before start up and plug back in, crawling on hands and knees to access the back of the PC :-) - bloody annoying.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Hunt View Post
    No - I checked the BIOS screen that comes up and the order was DVD, then HD. I can leave a 8gb jump drive attached with no problem - but the external HD's stop the start up process dead. I now have to unplug before start up and plug back in, crawling on hands and knees to access the back of the PC :-) - bloody annoying.
    To make it slightly less annoying, try just powering off the DVD instead of disconnecting it.

Thanks
    You can also get a USB extension cable like this one:
    http://www.microcenter.com/product/2..._Cable_10-Foot

to make unplug/replug easier.

Jerry

Lounger
    Thanks
    This behavior also happens on my system which is an Intel motherboard. I can boot with thumb drives plugged in but not a USB hard drive. It is a problem with the BIOS looking for some boot code and is not a W7 problem. And yes, I have my BIOS set to ONLY boot from a single hard drive in the system. You may want to check the mother board vendor's website for a BIOS upgrade.

Thanks
    Some BIOS's have a separate hard drive order entry. If you have that, make sure there isn't a USB drive listed there as well.

Jerry

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you for the suggestion but I have done all that. I am quite well versed in configuring Intel machines and their BIOS configuration. The boot device on any of my machines is always limited to a single device in the BIOS boot order. Network, USB, removable devices are all disabled as boot options in the BIOS. There are no other boot options presented other than the single hard disk. Yet the BIOS boot process will hang if an external hard disk is plugged into any USB port that is connected directly to the USB ports on the MB. If there is a BIOS update for my system I don't know and really don't care. What I have is working with the exception of the boot issue and that is really not that big of an issue. The risks involved in updating a BIOS outweigh the minor inconvenience.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for all the tips. On the DVD tip - the DVD in the bios sequence isn't the problem - and it's internal not external. But thanks for the tip on the USB/motherboard issue.