5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Diagnosing PC hangs and freezes redux

LANGALIST PLUS

Diagnosing PC hangs and freezes redux

By Fred Langa

Sometimes the simple approaches to troubleshooting an ailing PC just don't work. But numerous free tools including some that are built into Windows can usually lead to a solution.

The full text of this column is posted at windowssecrets.com/langalist-plus/diagnosing-pc-hangs-and-freezes-redux/ (paid content, opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Fred

I'm curious about your SSD recommendations in this issue:
    "To put it another way, empty space on an SSD means you aren't using some of the high-speed file-storage space you've paid for. The way to really get your money's worth from an SSD is to let it carry its full share of files. Use its space!"

Another PC expert I respect, from DPReview PC Talk forum is James Cockfield (
    http://www.dpreview.com/members/2434039700). He has a very different take on SSD drive usage percentage - in a forum response about someone wanting to upgrade to an SSD - Go Larger (http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/post/50074248) - his reason is opposite yours for reliability reasons! He says:
    "Another thing to look at is that larger SSD tend to have much better performance, IOW, if you look at benchmarks of popular SSD models, 128GB SSDs tend to be significantly faster than 64GB SSDs when looking at the same brand/models.

It's also a good idea for reliability purposes to buy a larger SSD than you need, because of the way wear leveling works on them. IOW, don't try to use the smallest SSD you can get by with. Instead, leave more free space on a larger SSD instead."

Do you agree about the wear leveling issues or do you still feel that using it all does not reduce reliability?

Hank

Thanks
    I've read good things about the Crucial Adrenaline SSD -- it doesn't replace your actual hard drive, but rather works with your hard drive as a super fast buffer, thereby greatly increasing the speed of your system.

As soon as I can scrape together the $100 to buy it, I plan on going that route.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    OK I'm still fairly new here and I'd like to read the full text identified here
    The full text of this column is posted at windowssecrets.com/langalist-plus/diagnosing-pc-hangs-and-freezes-redux/ (paid content, opens in a new window/tab).
    I was already logged into the forums and I am a paid subscriber
    Anyway I did go & log into my the windows secrets account at https://windowssecrets.com/subscription-preferences/
    After signing in I didn't see anything about accessing that windows secrets column
    How do I do that?

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    It took me a while but I found it