Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Exclamation Back-up with Acronis

Hi Loungers,
    I had Acronis installed before I created a new Admin account and demoted myself to a Standard user.
    Should I do a backup from the Admin or Standard account.?
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    RR,

IMHO backup booting from your Rescue Media {CD/USB Key} created from the Acronis menus. This way Windows will not be in your way.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Thanks
    I always boot to my Rescue Boot Disk (Acronis TIH 2010, 2011 and now 2013) to create my Images. That ensures no interference at all from Windows.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    Hi RG & Ted,
    A slight lapse of info on my side. I am using as in my post on a Laptop without a DVD drive.
    I also only do 'One Click' backups which can't be done using recovery CD.

Thanks
    You can also create your Rescue Boot media to Flash Drive. If you cannot boot, this will work as a boot media to assist with Restoration. How do you restore your Images now? What happens if your if your HD bites the big one (sorry American colloquialism - HD dies)?
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Thanks
    Ted, I have a usb Drive that is usable in emergency or for reinstalling my OS. All my back-ups are 'One Click' that gives me a 'System Image' which is more thorough than the 'Normal' method. All done within Windows including 'Restore' if needed.

Thanks
    RR, my point was what happens if the HD dies so you cannot access the Restore function through Windows??? This is where a bootable media works best to assist with restoring to a different HD. My question was can you use the One Click option when your HD dies and will not boot?

For instance, I believe it was bbearren that posted recently he had a HD completely die, belly up. He had to use his Images to restore to a new HD.
    Last edited by Medico; 2012-10-17 at 16:38.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Thanks
    One Click is only for making a backup

Thanks
    So you make backups of your data, but do not have the whole system backed up? Imaging copies the entire system just as it looks on the HD. What would happen using your method if your HD dies? Would you then have to reinstall the OS and apps on a new HD then restore your backed up data? This seems like not using Acronis to it's optimum.

With an Image, I can install a new HD, then restore from the Image to the new HD in less than 1/2 hour.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Thanks
    Ted, I suggest kindly that you re read Acronis user guide.

Thanks
    Ted, I think what RR is trying to say is that he can boot from either the Acronis disk or a recovery disk and restore his one click backup just like you do.
    I also make my images under Windows and have successfully done a restore from a recovery disk.

Jerry

Thanks
    Yes I realize this can be done as I used to do this myself. I just found it seemed a little quicker when I created the Images outside Windows. It just sounded like he was backing up without having a boot disk in case of catastrophic failure of the HD
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Thanks
    Taken from Acronis 2010 user guide
    4 Preparing for disaster recovery

1) To be better prepared for a disaster, you need to make a full backup of your system disk (or at the very least the partition containing Windows and your applications). To make this task easier, Acronis has provided the One-Click Backup feature that allows you to back up the system partition and MBRduring the first start of the newly installed program. If you decide not to use the One-Click Backup, e.g. because the external hard drive you plan to use for your backups has not been attached at that time or because you plan to back up more than just the system partition, please, make such a backup as soon as possible.

2) Whenever possible, you should store your system drive image on a hard drive other than your
    primary hard disk C:, preferably on an external one. This gives an additional guarantee that you will
    be able to recover your system if your primary hard disk drive fails. Furthermore, it is usually better to
    keep your personal data separate from your operating system and applications, for example, on disk
    D:. Such an arrangement speeds up the creation of your system and data disks (or partitions) images
    and reduces the amount of information you will need to recover. This makes the backup file of your
    system disk much smaller and recovery can be easier. In its turn, the smaller the backup file size, the
    less chance of its corruption and the less time required for your system recovery.

3) If you store your data (documents, videos, photos, etc.) on a non-system disk, e.g. using the
    arrangement described in item 2), it needs to be backed up too. You can either back up the folders
    containing your data or create a data disk image. Remember that the imaging procedure is much
    faster than copying files and could speed up the backup process significantly when it comes to
    backing up large volumes of data. Incidentally, if the image file becomes corrupted for some reason,
    it is sometimes possible to mount the image and save most files and folders by copying them from
    the mounted image using Windows Explorer.

Thanks
    That partially explains things. The One Click Backup actually creates an Image of the disk you are booted to and the MBR. In my case it would not perform the function I need because I have 2 OS partitions, a data partition and a MBR to be Images. I can include any number or all these items in a single Image file. If I am reading this correctly I would need to boot to each OS partition separately and choose one click backup for each, then back up my data partition somehow. In my case either from within Windows or from my Rescue Boot Disk I can manually create an Image with all 4 items included in one Image file.

So I guess we all find the method that works best for us and use that method. The bottom line here is to find some way to back up your whole partition including the MBR.

It also appears that even using the one click backup you would still need the Rescue Boot Disk if your HD got fudged enough that it would not boot, or your HD just dies.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Thanks
    Hi Ted,
    as I never got an answer as to which account from which to run a back-up, I tried both and Acronis would not work even after removing and reinstalling it. I have just used the recovery cd to restore to before I created the second account. Normal operation has resumed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast