iNET Interactive
    Thanks

Dropbox makes the easiest way to send photos

TOP STORY

Dropbox makes the easiest way to send photos

ByLincoln Spector

E-mail, Facebook, texting, etc. are all good ways to share new digital stills and videos; but they're typically an image-by-image, select-and-send process.

Dropbox can eliminate those extra steps with its Camera Upload option, available on Android and iOS devices.

The full text of this column is posted at WindowsSecrets.com/top-story/dropbox-makes-the-easiest-way-to-send-photos/ (paid content, opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

New Lounger
    Nottingham Road Village, KZN, South AFrica
    Thanks

Great! BUT....you need 'Net acces....

Great article by WS - as usual!

All this "cloud" stuff is awesome, BUT...isn't there always a "BUT"...you NEED 'Net access for it to work.

Living in rural South Africa, 'Net coverage is poor at best (my ADSL link is still on 384K with no hope of an upgrade due to the line we are on...), and being a bit of a tech-freak, it constantly frustrates me that even the simplest tasks (like uploading a new picture just taken on a phone/tablet) takes multiple/many tries before going up, and on many occasions, fails even when in range of my WiFi (the mobile network is just too unreliable to even consider using).

So all good for those with strong connections, but pretty no good for others...

-------------
    Jan L. Korrubel
    Nottingham Road Village
    South Africa

Lounger
    Thanks
    I tried using Dropbox while on vacation in Italy in July of this year. I took pictures using my Ipad and then loaded them up to Dropbox with comments and descriptions. I would then go back later to view them and they were all turned either sideways or upside down. They were that way to the the people that viewed them stateside as well. I would then go back and correct them only to see not only the ones I corrected but any new ones were rotated as well. I e-mailed customer support and they blamed the Ipad. After much frustration and wasted time, I moved them all to Google Picasa. There has not been one issue with rotated photos at Picasa. Clearly there is an issue with Dropbox. Blaming the hardware is a copout as far as I am concerned. Never again will I use Dropbox

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    dropbox is popular for sure but has problems accordign to my research. ///

it requires third party software to be installed on the pc and perhaps needs some of it running at all times. ///

some sites indicate a potential security risk with dropbox and the TOS can be unpleasant if you try to cancel. ///

it would seem that the old fashioned FTP method is both easier and safer than dropbox or its competitors. ///

so can anyone tell me if there is a method out there that allows me to send a photo to someone without requiring installing some third party software on my pc .///

i have one large photo that i need to send to another country for a historian to use in a book that will be published soon. /// is there a place i can ftp a file to that he can retrieve it? /// is there an alternative to dropbox that does not require third party software ? ///

i would like to avoid having to snail the image to the author. but may have to if all the so called easy methods put my pc at risk and also require download and install hassles with all the risks of that forking a stable environment with their additions.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Problem with Dropbox? Other People!

Dropbox is great for sharing photos and files with other people, but there are shortcomings.

1. It's not so easy to share with a large number of people (you have to invite each to set up and synch a dropbox app). A photosharing site like Picasa (not recommended by the way) lets you just send a link for episodic sharing, no installs required.

2. If people don't visit and *move* files out of your shared Dropbox folder, they remain there forever -- and you soon run into the file limits for free (or even for paid) storage. I have relatives I have to browbeat to get them to take their damned photos!

One fix for 2. is to share a single folder with several people, so you aren't copying the same pictures into multiple shared folders. This isn't always practical either, though.

I am currently trying to decide on a photo sharing site to replace my longtime relationship with Picasa, which keeps "updating" so you never know where even te most common functions are from rev to rev, and which just "updated" to Google+ -- again, I can't find common sharing functions, and the "share a link" feature doesn't work anymore.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mac.mccarthy View Post
    Dropbox is great for sharing photos and files with other people, but there are shortcomings.

1. It's not so easy to share with a large number of people (you have to invite each to set up and synch a dropbox app). A photosharing site like Picasa (not recommended by the way) lets you just send a link for episodic sharing, no installs required.

2. If people don't visit and *move* files out of your shared Dropbox folder, they remain there forever -- and you soon run into the file limits for free (or even for paid) storage. I have relatives I have to browbeat to get them to take their damned photos!

One fix for 2. is to share a single folder with several people, so you aren't copying the same pictures into multiple shared folders. This isn't always practical either, though.

I am currently trying to decide on a photo sharing site to replace my longtime relationship with Picasa, which keeps "updating" so you never know where even te most common functions are from rev to rev, and which just "updated" to Google+ -- again, I can't find common sharing functions, and the "share a link" feature doesn't work anymore.
    Send them each a DVD and be done with it. What has happened to "patience"?
    Good Grief!
    Do you "Believe"? Do you vote? Please Read:
    LEARN something today so you can TEACH something tomorrow.
    DETAIL in your question promotes DETAIL in my answer.
    Dominus Vobiscum <))>(

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have tried to use Drop box many times and have had enormous problems with the speed of upload - only tried to download once and gave up. No matter what I do it takes, literally, hours, to upload a video clip - not a really large one either.
    Have never been able to solve that, no matter what I did and their support folks don't.
    Just use Youtube or my blogs for everything now.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Google Drive

Don't know if it's as seamless, but Google Drive allows similar sharing via t' cloud.

Thanks
    The thing that bothers me about these types of services is that they put a drive on my computer. In the case of Dropbox, the drive has administrator access to my computer. That's a huge security hole.

Why not simply create an account at walgreens.com and upload your pictures there? Walgreens.com is free, as long as you don't actually print any pictures.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mrjimphelps View Post
    The thing that bothers me about these types of services is that they put a drive on my computer. In the case of Dropbox, the drive has administrator access to my computer. That's a huge security hole.

Why not simply create an account at walgreens.com and upload your pictures there? Walgreens.com is free, as long as you don't actually print any pictures.
    If you don't order prints, do the Walgreens photos stay on their servers, or do they eventually disappear? I've also read elsewhere that walgreens.com doesn't allow full-resolution downloads of photos stored on their servers. Is this true in your experience?
    -- Bob Primak --