Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Banned Member
    Thanks

Thumbs up Just smile & wave bye-bye...

Just to add to this, regarding Search; yes, one can go through Charms & using his example begin typing N-O... once you then click on Notepad, it appears back on Desktop. But, it is, also, not necessary or the only way, to go via Charms... WinQ (all Applications), WinW (Settings) & WinF (Files) OR, also, hit the Start button OR WinKey and begin typing anywhere, N-O & again, hit Notepad & it opens back on Desktop... carry on w/ whatever you were doing.

The writer of the article has been using Win8 for 2 months. I have been using it for 7 months and I will definitely vouch for what he says; there, absolutely is no suffering from the lack of the old start menu or button. And, yes, one can access things quicker & more directly w/ Windows8... and, btw, this is w/out using the Start screen (except, maybe, for the occasional Search) or any 3rd Party add-ins or retro-fits... they are not needed, @ all. And I will, still, fully support what he says, even though my usage is on a NON-TOUCH PC. The 'flow' of navigating, is, still, indeed, smooth, quick & easy, even w/ a mouse.

As I have previously said, it is wrong telling people there is a problem due to a lack of start button/menu. Would be better, more helpful & appropriate to tell them how to use what IS Windows8 which, (actually) has a Start button & no need for (going through) the old start menu.

http://www.zdnet.com/removing-start-...do-7000005631/

Cheers,
    Drew
    new_windows_logo1.jpg

Thanks
    I have just uninstalled Classic Shell and added the Desktop Toolbar. I will be using the Desktop UI in this manner until the release date of Win 8 Pro. I will see if it grows on my a little more. I am keeping my Favorites Bar Toolbar and my Shortcuts Toolbar I have previously discussed (I used these since Win 7 anyway so why not continue).

Honestly I did not use Classic Shell for much, but did access certain stuff from there. We'll see what we shall see.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew1903 View Post
    Windows8 which, (actually) has a Start button
    Where?

Bruce

Thanks
    The rectangular item that shows up when you place your cursor in the lower left corner is considered the Win 8 Start Button. It does indeed take you to the Win 8 Start Menu (Modern UI Start Menu).
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Bottom-Left Corner, Bruce. Personally, I only use it for the occasional Search, IF, I don't Search in some other way. But, if or when, someone wants to use Start screen Tiles, as Ted said, it goes to them, too, of course.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ted, if you want, Favorites & all/any desktop shortcuts/icons can or will be in w/ the Desktop Toolbar allowing you to have 1 instead of 3. Of course, it's whatever you prefer. Hope you can see this picture of my Desktop Toolbar to see what I mean...

Screenshot (50).JPG

Cheers,
    Drew
    new_windows_logo1.jpg
    Last edited by Drew1903; 2012-10-17 at 16:58.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Start, oh !

Hello, Drew.

Back on W-8 after being away for a while and picking up on things.

Nice pix of your DT and your start menu. What do you use for this ?

I have been using the Quick launch and am quite content with it, my thing ! JP.

Thanks
    The biggest problem with windows 8 search is that you have to know in advance whether Microsoft Microsoft has listed it under Apps or settings. I've guessed wrong more than once. In both windows 7, all you needed to do was hit the start orb and start typing. The search included apps, settings, and files. In windows 8, you need to select the appropriate search. This is not progress....

Jerry

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Jerry,

If, one start typing to Settings & it's, actually in Files the number of items will shows beside Files suggesting that is the category when the items, actually and so you switch to that. Look I know it's this or that... the point is only to show people how & where to help them out w/ what it is, w/ how things are & are done. Bottom line, when using 8 that's how it is. No matter what any of us say or feel, good or bad, it is what it is.

Cheers,
    Drew
    new_windows_logo1.jpg

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    I, for one, can't really see a good reason for the removal of the Start button. My daily usage of Windows 8 has shown me that it could be useful and the supposed replacement is much worse. This is what my usage has shown.

I have and I agree with Jerry regarding search - I see no reason to split it, either.

On the plus side, the touch interface works well on touch enabled screens. Even with my screen supporting only one touch point, I have quite liked the new PDF app and the way to interact with it using touch - safe for the very dumb way to get to a print option.

Still think Windows 8 is worth the upgrade, but I believe some UI design decisions were detrimental to usability.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Medico View Post
    The rectangular item that shows up when you place your cursor in the lower left corner is considered the Win 8 Start Button. It does indeed take you to the Win 8 Start Menu (Modern UI Start Menu).
    I think only you and Drew call that a Start Button and a Start Menu.

Bruce

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Hi JP,

At the onset I did use Quick Launch. I've always been a big fan of QL. I had stopped using the old start menu long, long ago but, did use QL. I have put in forums how to put it in OSs that do not have it (post Vista) and I always gave it to my clients. However, after, discovering how redundant it was or became in Win8, I dropped it. Not that I am discouraging you from (using) it, @ all. Besides pinning a few things to the Taskbar, having an Applications folder/window on the Taskbar & the so-called Power Users menu I was left w/ no need for QL, anymore.

Anyway, to answer your query...

Rt Clk on Taskbar
    1st item on pop-up menu is Toolbars, 1 of which is Desktop (this is not new or peculiar to Win8, btw). Now, in addition to what is part of it, showing on or in it, any & all desktop icons or shortcuts will be there... which means they don't need to show on the screen.

The other one I enable is Links. This is equivalent to Favorites Bar content. Ergo, from Links one can select a site from there w/out even having a browser open 1st & hitting another site from Links will add that one to an open browser window, as a new tab. Plus, it makes it so once something is added to the Favorites Bar
    it can be 'hidden', leaving the browser body that much larger... the (browser) bars only need show when or while one needs them.

Cheers,
    Drew
    new_windows_logo1.jpg

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Drew, thanks for the tutorage.
    You wrote : any & all desktop icons or shortcuts will be there...
    Oooopss ! I do not have any desktop icon, not one, except the Desktop one. Your note calls for more studying which I will do after adding a few icons as a trial. The .jpg that you showed, to me, is like a vertical Quick Launch. Hi ! hi ! I have 12 items on my QL, I will move them up just to test. You be good.

Banned Member
    Thanks
    JP,

You're welcome.

I think it sounds like you are confusing Desktop icons w/ Win8 Start screen Tiles. I meant the desktop icons that often cover up a Users pretty wallpaper picture(s). Traditional desktop screen icons & shortcuts not, Start screen Tiles. They will be part of the Desktop Toolbar & will, Still, be there, even, if you Rt Clk on the desktop & uncheck "Show Desktop Icons".

And, yes, can, certainly, have no Tile but, Desktop on the Win8 Start screen.

Cheers,
    Drew
    new_windows_logo1.jpg

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Favs.

Good morning to you Drew.

No, I do not have this confusion here about icons and tiles. See my next .jpg. I got something going but it is all showing the Gmail favs, not the W-8 ones. I will be working on it further when it rains. Such a nice day here, got to go outside.

#2.jpg

Thanks. JP.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceR View Post
    I think only you and Drew call that a Start Button and a Start Menu.

Bruce
    I read somewhere that right-clicking the desktop bottom left corner Start Tip invokes a vestige of the traditional Start Button with various control panel, administration and similar computer management options. Perhaps that's what was meant?

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast