Thanks

Exclamation Is it the Hardware or the Software???

I encountered a problem with Acronis T.I. 2011 not validating a Back Up. Since they no longer support the app and I will not purchase their support, I followed their diagnostic diagram. Among the first things they suggested as the problem was bad RAM (just like MS does whenever Windows crashes). Farther down the diagram was to attempt a Back Up and Validation using the Rescue Disk. I did this and everything worked as it should. Going back into Windows, I attempted Validation and Acronis return with a corrupt Back Up!!!

This reminded me of a problem with my Burning Software where I contacted the manufacturer and they offered support, even with the app being several years old. They offered a fresh copy of the program from their site. I downloaded and installed the program, and this fixed the problem I was having. So, I performed a Repair-Reinstall of T.I. 2011 (one of three options when installing 2011) and this solved the problem!!!

The Moral of the Story: Don't you believe it when a software program blames its failure on your hardware. If everything is working as it should before the problem occurs, always suspect the software. Flaky software causes more problems on a computer than hardware ever will. Maybe some of you programing experts out there might know the exact cause of this. At any rate, always attempt a Reinstall of the problem software. That just might fix your problem.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Typical Acronis "support."

Zig

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by hammondmike View Post
    Flaky software causes more problems on a computer than hardware ever will. Maybe some of you programing experts out there might know the exact cause of this. At any rate, always attempt a Reinstall of the problem software. That just might fix your problem.
    The answer is - wait for it - Windows Registry Corruption. It can be caused by stray alpha particles (or so I have heard).

That is why I back up every PC on my network every week. It makes it a snap to recover from random glitches in Windows.
    Rick Groszkiewicz
    Life is too short to drink bad wine (or bad coffee!)

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    You would mean "gamma" particles.

Thanks
    It is possible that a Windows update is the source of your problem.

One day in the Windows 2000 days, our accounting program stopped working for most users in the company. Long story short, I uninstalled the three Windows updates that had installed the night before, and that fixed the problem. I made sure from that time forward that those three updates were not installed on any of the accounting PCs, and we never again had a problem like that with our accounting program.

Once we moved to XP, there was never again any issue with Windows updates and the accounting program.