Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Question Are there any NEW operating systems on the horizon?

Windows OSs crash and have too many other problems. Apple is too proprietary and non-upgradeable. Linux is too much like DOS (the last time I used DOS was 1994) and, without a Windows-like GUI, is too unwieldy for my tastes.

I would gladly dump all my Windows-based software for a new OS without all the problems of the above three mentioned OSs.

SO, does anyone know of any New OSs in the works and how soon they would be available???

Thanks
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Motherboard: DX58SO2*Chipset: X58 Express/Intel ICH10*BIOS: SOX5820J.86A.0888.2012.0129.2203*Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU X 990
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 580*Memory: Corsair 12 GB, 4x3@1600*PSU: Corsair HX1000*Hard drives: REVO X2 160GB*OCZ VERT X3 120GB*5 mechanical storage drives (12 TB) total.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by hammondmike View Post
    Windows OSs crash and have too many other problems. Apple is too proprietary and non-upgradeable. Linux is too much like DOS (the last time I used DOS was 1994) and, without a Windows-like GUI, is too unwieldy for my tastes.

I would gladly dump all my Windows-based software for a new OS without all the problems of the above three mentioned OSs.

SO, does anyone know of any New OSs in the works and how soon they would be available???
    The way most new OSes get started is from someone like you not finding what they want, so they write their own. Or grab a Linux build and add to it until it does what you want.There are many of these out there already, some with very nice GUIs.

Here are just a few built on "Ubuntu" An internet search will reveal many more to use or to begin with and build on.
    Last edited by RussB; 2012-10-18 at 07:32. Reason: SP
    Do you "Believe"? Do you vote? Please Read:
    LEARN something today so you can TEACH something tomorrow.
    DETAIL in your question promotes DETAIL in my answer.
    Dominus Vobiscum <))>(

Thanks
    Linux is too much like DOS (the last time I used DOS was 1994) and, without a Windows-like GUI, is too unwieldy for my tastes.
    Seems to me that it's a long time since you used Linux, too! About all you get in most distros that looks like DOS is a Terminal Session, and you get GUIs in distros all the way from Puppy Linux to Debian, stopping off at Ubuntu, Fedora and Mint. For example look at the quite good Cinnamon desktop GUI in the latest Mint 1.3, which you can run from a so-called Live CD or put onto a bootable USB Flash Drive, so you don't even need to install it on a hard disk to try it!
    BATcher

Dear Diary, today the Hundred Years War started ...

Thanks
    It hasn't been that long. What I object to is using command-line interface for fixes and updates. Is there a Windows-type GUI version that totally acts like Window (minus all the crashes)??? I left the use of DOS long ago, and do not like to have to revert to it or any command-line versions--period.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to hammondmike For This Useful Post:

fensterlips (2013-04-11)

Thanks
    The short answer to your question is NO

Maybe you ought to focus on WHY you are having so many crashes, instead of looking for a new operating system TO crash.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Motherboard: DX58SO2*Chipset: X58 Express/Intel ICH10*BIOS: SOX5820J.86A.0888.2012.0129.2203*Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU X 990
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 580*Memory: Corsair 12 GB, 4x3@1600*PSU: Corsair HX1000*Hard drives: REVO X2 160GB*OCZ VERT X3 120GB*5 mechanical storage drives (12 TB) total.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to CLiNT For This Useful Post:

satrow (2012-10-18)

Thanks
    Sometimes the Command Line interface is the best way to go to run programs or solve problems. I wouldn't have chosen my username if I didn't believe this!
    BATcher

Dear Diary, today the Hundred Years War started ...

10. The Following User Says Thank You to BATcher For This Useful Post:

mrjimphelps (2012-10-25)

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    I can't remember the last time I had a serious crash in Windows, at home or work, and I see a lot of Windows machines. Sometimes I see software crash in Windows, but not from Windows.

cheers, Paul

New Lounger
    Thanks
    My experience, expecially with Win 7 is the same as Paul T ... most crashes are not caused by Windows, but software using windows, or the operator.

New Lounger
    Thanks

New / Alternative OS

Have you tried reactos.com? It's goal is to be binary compatible with WinNT versions through at least Windows XP - still in alpha (last time I looked) and it is donationware. I support it because I want alternatives to Linux and Windows OS's - and BeOS hasn't seemed to be particularly viable at this point.

Of course, if DOS is your pleasure, FreeDOS is always an option.

-Russ

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Which Windows have you used? Have you tried Windows 7? You have to work at it to get Win7 to crash more than rarely.

If you're still using WinXP or earlier, then there's more likelihood of crashes, plus more software which won't work well or at all with it. And any of the Win9X versions are going to crash daily for a 'normal' user--due to mass infections if nothing else.

Give Win7 a shot, and read a couple of 'How to setup...' articles here or around for the best approach for your needs. Add a 24/7 real-time security app like MSE to reduce your exposure to bad stuff. The only way that'll crash much is via poor user practices or poorly written 3rd-party software.

Thanks
    WIN7 64 is the BIG pain! I have been using Windows since 98SE. WIN XP PRO has been the most stable of them all. Even a repair-install is easier in XP than in WIN7. WIN7 is causing all the crashes. The causes it reports include some of which I have never heard before (and there have been way too many). WIN7 always blames my hardware when it crashes, but when it works, no hardware problems are ever reported!!! My computer never over-heats, I do all the re-seats just in case, I do regular dust clean-outs, and I keep all the drivers up to date. All Windows Updates are current. I use Avast! Free, MBAM Pro, CCleaner, WinOptimizer7, jv16 Power Tools, and Windows Defender. I use their Real-Time modes (where available) and scan with them every day.

I use Acronis T.I. to image my system everyday. It is easier to use the Rescue Disk to restore my system than going thru all the vain attempts of using Windows Repair. Every time WR checks for problems (after taking forever to load, in my opinion) it states that the problem "will" be fixed when found. When found, it then states that it is "attempting" repairs. After failing to repair, it states that the problem cannot be repaired automatically. The exact problem is never specified.

Microsoft's generic answers to specific error messages never work for me. What good does it do to send crash reports, when they have no intention to address specific problems? Even when an error message (mostly from update problems) is addressed, their solution never works. Their Community Forums will never supply a definitive answer to a specific problem because no two computer systems are exactly alike. You would think that MS would use its billions and vast manpower to investigate all possible problems and find their solutions. But NO, all they care about is enriching themselves!!! After all, the vast majority are enslaved to their OSs. And the other OS providers are no different (Apple requires use of their proprietary equipment).

So, what can we do??? We are caught between a rock and a hard place!!!

Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm not sure just what your problem is. I've been using Windows 7 64 bit on my Acer laptop computer with no crashes for over a year. I'm using XP SP3 on my HP desktop for about five years and had several freezes, two of which were cured by removing the built-up dust from my fan. I also restart my desktop computer at least once a week as it seems to slow down otherwise.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hammondmike,
    it sounds like you definitely have some issues with Win7.

Have you taken the time to download any linux distribution and test out a LIVE CD, where you simply boot to the cd, and it will run the distribution in Memory?
    Ubuntu will do this.
    That gives you the opportunity to at least see that Install and Updates are NOT command line anymore. You are not forced to Command line at all in Ubuntu, if you don't want to.
    Honestly though, your description of issues and combination of Programs you run every day make it very difficult to pinpoint your Crashes. (It could be your Registry cleaners, cleaning badly, or it could be bad Memory, or bad harddrive, obviously lots of variables, and you didn't ask for help or advice on your system)

It sounds to me like your hardware may have issues, so even running a LiveCD may show some problems which might help you pinpoint your issues which might help you get appropriate fixes if you want to keep Win 7.

Keep in mind, running Ubuntu or any linux distro in Memory will not be as fast as when installed on harddrive, but it will at least give you a taste of what you can do, and see if you like it.

Thanks
    I use Avast! Free, MBAM Pro, CCleaner, WinOptimizer7, jv16 Power Tools, and Windows Defender. I use their Real-Time modes (where available) and scan with them every day.
    As 3rd party softwares are the single biggest cause of BSOD's/crashes in Vista/7, it's no great surprise to me that you have problems - the 3 bold softwares above have Registry 'cleaners', don't they? Snake oil if used without carefully checking and choosing what's actually safe to 'clean' and having a known good backup (created before any Registry tampering) to fall back on.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast