Thanks

Firefox 16.0.1 and closing tabs

When I have multiple tabs open and wish to close all but one, I right click on the tab I wish to stay open and choose 'Close other tabs'. This pre 16 would do just that. Now it asks if I wish to close them all. I looked in the options and 'warn me when closing multiple tabs' isn't clicked. Am I missing something here?

Another question about v16, I use Secunia PSI (as recommended by loungers!) and when FF upgraded to V16, PSI told me that FF needed updating - from v15. I looked in programs and features and lo, there were two FFs - 15 and 16. I uninstalled 15 and of course, 16 went as well. I've now reinstalled FF (but then noticed the problem above). Any ideas?

Thanks
    I use Tab Mix Plus for Tab control and do not have this issue. BTW, I have not turned it off to see what happens without it.
    Do you "Believe"? Do you vote? Please Read:
    LEARN something today so you can TEACH something tomorrow.
    DETAIL in your question promotes DETAIL in my answer.
    Dominus Vobiscum <))>(

Thanks
    I just tested this setting in about:config and it does control the question when closing multiple tabs.

browser.tabs.autoHide Default: False Toggle to: True

If you have not used this before, just open a new tab and type about:config in the address bar and press enter. Answer ok to the warning box.

Scroll down to the entry noted above and right click the value, then select toggle.

Now exit the tab and the old behavior should be restored.

BTW: In the Options/Tabs menu, I do have the warn on close of multiple tabs checked and this still works.

As for the second question, I noticed that somewhere around FF 14 there was a change in some of the default settings. However, when upgrading to a new version the old settings were generally preserved. When you uninstalled FF 15 (and thus FF16) you probably wiped out the old configuration settings. Therefore the new defaults were in control for FF 16.0.1. There are probably several more settings you will find slightly changed as time goes by and you discover the behavior of FF.
    Last edited by JC Zorkoff; 2012-10-18 at 10:33.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to JC Zorkoff For This Useful Post:

access-mdb (2012-10-18)

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by access-mdb View Post
    When I have multiple tabs open and wish to close all but one, I right click on the tab I wish to stay open and choose 'Close other tabs'. This pre 16 would do just that. Now it asks if I wish to close them all. I looked in the options and 'warn me when closing multiple tabs' isn't clicked. Am I missing something here?
    The change was apparently by design, but will be fixed in Firefox 18: No option to disable the "Close other tabs" prompt

(There's currently a workaround on the bottom line of that thread, by using PlugIn "Tab Mix Plus 0.4.0.3".)

Quote Originally Posted by access-mdb View Post
    Another question about v16, I use Secunia PSI (as recommended by loungers!) and when FF upgraded to V16, PSI told me that FF needed updating - from v15. I looked in programs and features and lo, there were two FFs - 15 and 16. I uninstalled 15 and of course, 16 went as well. I've now reinstalled FF (but then noticed the problem above). Any ideas?
    16.0 was withdrawn and replaced by 16.0.1 quite quickly. My guess is that what you experienced would have been a result of that.

Bruce
    Last edited by BruceR; 2012-10-18 at 11:02.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to BruceR For This Useful Post:

access-mdb (2012-10-18)