Lounger
    Thanks

Microsoft skydrive javascript problem

I’m having a problem with Microsoft SkyDrive. When starting it from my laptop I get the “Welcome to SkyDrive” box, but on clicking on the “Get started” button I get an error message saying…
    Windows Live ID requires JavaScript to sign in. This web browser either does not support JavaScript, or scripts are being blocked.
    To find out whether your browser supports JavaScript, or to allow scripts, see the browser's online help.”

I’ve tried using Chrome and FireFox, both of which have JavaScript enabled. I’ve uninstalled and reinstalled SkyDrive on my computer but it makes no difference. I’ve done an internet search but am still no wiser.

Can anyone give me an idea, in language the simple-minded can understand, what the problem is.

I also understand MS used to offer 25GB, but now only 7GB. Any other recommendations? (The JavaScript problem is my first priority).

Thanks in advance for your wisdom.

Lounger
    Thanks

Microsoft skydrive javascript problem

It looks like I’ve solved my own problem. In spite of considerable searching previously I came across something that said that JavaScript also has to be enabled in IE, which I don’t use. I tried it and it worked.

I’d appreciate any comments on SkyDrive. How secure is it? Do I need to encrypt files before putting them on SkyDrive? Are there any better options for cloud storage, etc?

Thanks

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Some comparisons between similar services:

http://www.theverge.com/2012/4/24/2954960/google-drive-dropbox-skydrive-sugarsync-cloud-storage-competition

http://www.informationweek.com/cloud-computing/software/microsoft-skydrive-vs-dropbox-google-han/240005958

P
    ersonally I have used just SkyDrive and none of the others. The service itself is ok, offers more free storage than direct competitors, but the apps are rather lacking, especially in what relates to files shared by other users, which you cannot access through the client. If you just want to use it to store your stuff, I guess it's not that bad.

Dropbox had a serious security flaw, that exposed private files from many users. Don't think that has happened with SkyDrive, but I guess for complete safety, you'd have to consider encryption.

Thanks
    SkyDrive does not provide any encryption beyond SSL and it is not intended as a secure business application.
    But you can encrypt the content you intend to place on SkyDrive.
    I use SkyDrive as a safety net for certain files that I don't consider a security issue, and of course, you get 7GB of free storage.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for your responses. I had hoped that it might be possible to encrypt stuff on SkyDrive but had the feeling it might not be possible without encrypting before uploading files. It's the Dropbox security flaw that gets me a bit edgy about encrypting stuff. Anyway, I really only want to store stuff for access while away from home so I guess I'll just do it that way. It's not a major inconvenience. 7 GB is a bit on the small side, but then it's free so I'm not complaining.
    Thanks again for the comments.