New Lounger
    Thanks

Windows Explorer "forgets" drives, must reboot to use

I'm saying Windows Explorer, but the issue happens with zabcats xplorer2 as well.
    I have a lot of drives, 2 internal plus 1 eSata and 3 USB hanging off my PC plus an Iomega NAS with shares. (I keep projects separate for backup and clarity purposes.)

The problem is that I will be working fine, with either explorer or xplorer2, everything normal until, at a random interval, I sort a directory (usually by date, looking for the newest) and instead of sorting, the green indexing bar (it's displays in the address bar at the top of windows explorer) starts running and never completes.

If I open a new instance of explorer, instead of the Navigation pane showing detailed Libraries and Computer with drives breakdown all I see is the top hierarchy Libraries, Homegroup and Computer with no detail data under them. And clicking them gets the spinning wheel. It becomes unresponsive and a reboot is the only way to get a functioning windows explorer back.

Been searching for advice on this problem for ages, thought I'd try here.

Thanks

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Not really sure what to advise to fix the problem, but maybe you can mitigate it's consequences. Have you tried killing the explorer process from task manager and restarting it from TaskManager, File->New Task?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks,

Never thought of trying that specifically. Will try next time it messes up.