Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

A Start Button Theory - Advertising Revenue?

Do people think this theory makes sense, or it is total nonsense?

Metro (aka Modern UI) apps can contain adverts.

A percentage of that advertising revenue will go to Microsoft, as is the case with the iOS and Android app stores.

Microsoft would therefore prefer people to use Metro apps instead of traditional desktop exe programs.

Microsoft would therefore like to encourage people to use the Metro home page (aka Win8 "Start") instead of the desktop.

Therefore Microsoft removed the Start button and the Start menu.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Windows is a huge business. Microsoft is selling 20 million Windows 7 licenses a month, which is a lot, so I don't think their motivation is advertising revenue. I think they just wanted to push the Metro UI.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    They want to push apps from the app store but most of them are still crap.
    Joe

Thanks
    I do not believe there will be much revenue stream from the app store. As Joe S states, most apps available are not that good yet anyway. Of course the same can be said for many Android and iOS apps as well.

Perhaps MS thinks there will be enough revenue to make the app store self contained, who knows.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    Apple gets a ton of revenue from its App store by getting a cut of every app sold. Microsoft wants to tap into the same revenue source as it also will get a cut of every app sold in the App store. This is a major motivation to start moving people away from the desktop and into the Metro/Modern UI. That and software rental via the cloud instead of software ownership. Mark my words, Windows 8 is the first step. You will see less of the desktop in Windows 9....

Jerry

Thanks
    A Start Button Theory - Advertising Revenue?
    Quote Originally Posted by John259 View Post
    Do people think this theory makes sense, or it is total nonsense?

Metro (aka Modern UI) apps can contain adverts.

A percentage of that advertising revenue will go to Microsoft, as is the case with the iOS and Android app stores.

Microsoft would therefore prefer people to use Metro apps instead of traditional desktop exe programs.

Microsoft would therefore like to encourage people to use the Metro home page (aka Win8 "Start") instead of the desktop.

Therefore Microsoft removed the Start button and the Start menu.
    That's no theory, that is a fact.
    Do you "Believe"? Do you vote? Please Read:
    LEARN something today so you can TEACH something tomorrow.
    DETAIL in your question promotes DETAIL in my answer.
    Dominus Vobiscum <))>(

Banned Member
    Thanks
    This was, indeed & actually answered quite some time ago. As I recall the asker just didn't like the answer so insists they are not getting an answer just cus they didn't or don't like the answer.

And no it isn't a nasty surreptitious effort to drive people to APPs or to the MS Store. You can push this propaganda cus I guess you like the sound of it & it blends w/ the negative rant against Windows8 & Microsoft

There were/are 2 reasons; I primary & 1 secondary. (1) it was due, mostly, to a drastic lack of use of the old start button/menu. (Fact) & (2) technically, did not/does not blend w/ the overall Win8 functionality & methodology... having nothing to do w/ the Win8 Start screen, Tiles or APPs. Conspiracy theories don't apply... the reasons are technical, not, clock n dagger.

Argue this all you like cus you like the sound of it, if you must. OR another idea is quit letting it get your knickers in a knot, since it doesn't need to be made a problem... but, yes you are free to consider it one if you must.

You are, also, free to think what I'm telling you is off-track but, I am not giving MY opinion just the reality. Nor am I saying nobody else is entitled to an opinion.

In other similar types of things (from other companies) it is basically the same ... But, in Windows you are used to it & it sounds better, gets more airplay to say it's a clever, nefarious plot, ploy & scheme rather than accept that it was driven by lack of use & technical reasons. Be that as it may. & please don't bother trying to shoot the messenger.

Hopefully this query won't keep being asked... this is not the 1st time it's been answered.

Oh, & the punch-line is... the Microsoft is manipulating us idea does not hold water cus the use of Win8 APPs & the Start screen is completely optional, as well as purchasing anything from the MS Store or any other store or place of business is optional. Certainly, businesses welcome customers but, nothing forces anyone to lay their money down, anywhere for anything... it's personal choice & has nothing to do w/ bloody start buttons.

The idea, much as some people hate to accept it, in Windows8 is that the Start icon leads to a screen of tiles that is supposed to be a graphical start menu, instead of the old textual menu. If, one prefers not to use Windows8 that way, you do not have to, @ all. There is not the coercion people are trying to suggest.

Sorry, if that is hard for some people to grasp, accept or believe. But, even so, it remains true.

Cheers,
    Drew
    new_windows_logo1.jpg

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew1903 View Post
    I am not giving MY opinion just the reality. [...]
    Sorry, if that is hard for some people to grasp, accept or believe. But, even so, it remains true.
    Well, Drew, at least nobody can accuse you of a lack of arrogance!

Have you ever considered how unlikely it is that you alone are 100% correct in everything you write, and that everyone else who doesn't agree entirely with what you write is not necessarily terminally ignorant, misguided or perverse?

With experience comes a degree of humility and the realisation that one does not know everything in the known universe, and may even be wrong occasionally. Very occasionally...
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Thanks so much for twisting & distorting my entry & so very wrong insulting my character traits & personality. I have come to see that is ok for everyone & anyone to state something but, as soon as I do it's allowed no credibility even when it is no a personal opinion of mine being expressed.

Your comments & unfair intolerance, in this instance, are not appreciated, @ all. Thanks for trying to make my input and contribution to the forum & the topic pointless. In spite of the value & good intent it may have had.

Maybe just to be fair you can beat everybody else down w/ some sarcastic defamation, too.

If you are going to try quoting someone, do it properly so it's not serving your own nasty purposes... the two parts you pulled out of context & put together were not that way originally... but, a clever, commendable, attempt to try and make me look bad and destroy the meaning of what had been said.

Bit inappropriate considering no opinion, holier-than-thou or otherwise had been put forth. But, as long as it made you feel good @ someone else's expense.

Cheers,
    Drew
    new_windows_logo1.jpg
    Last edited by Drew1903; 2012-10-21 at 05:46.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    As a new reader/poster, I'm going to have to start skipping certain posts cuz I don't understand what the heck is going on. Sounds like a paranoid manifest to me at times. I guess I'm going to have to stick to the professionals as I didn't realize how far above the mire of rhetorical meandering they are. Paul Thurrott is ranting about the release of Windows RT at the same time as 8 on an unsuspecting public who are expecting similar behavior with very similar looking interfaces; apps being very prominently discussed.

By the way, why is the 64 bit iso eval version of 8 almost twice the size of the 32-bit eval? I have a pretty slow connection so its taking about half a day to get the big one.

Administrator
    Thanks
    @ F.U.N.,

We have some very good posts on Windows 8, with detailed explanations on how you can even configure it to avoid some of the less efficient characteristics of the new OS. Just use those and skip the non technical ones.

Thanks
    Drew was factually correct, and he could have referenced articles like THIS ONE . But being factually correct does not give us license to argue with and insult Moderators or fellow Lounge members. Let's please keep the discussion civil, folks. Including you, BATcher, if I may say so. In this thread, it took two to tangle, IMHO.

Sadly, it doesn't take a genius to follow the money trail with Metro.
    Last edited by bobprimak; 2012-10-21 at 11:34.
    -- Bob Primak --

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    That does not sound good. Its bad enough what one has to put up with using a browser and purpose, and for some reason I see my desktop screen as sacrosanct from that intrusion but it does make total sense to have at least partially sponsored apps; we see it all the time already in the form of sponsored software that wants to install along with the target software. That is a one time, controllable event however.

p.s. Finally got the 64-bit version tucked away on my hard drive, it literally is twice the size of the 32-bit version, I'd have to guess there are two copies tucked in there for some reason?
    Last edited by F.U.N. downtown; 2012-10-21 at 12:45.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by F.U.N. downtown View Post
    That does not sound good.
    True, but I guess there will be third-party ad-blockers available for it before long. In addition, on a conventional computer there's no need to ever use apps.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by F.U.N. downtown View Post
    That does not sound good. Its bad enough what one has to put up with using a browser and purpose, and for some reason I see my desktop screen as sacrosanct from that intrusion but it does make total sense to have at least partially sponsored apps; we see it all the time already in the form of sponsored software that wants to install along with the target software. That is a one time, controllable event however.
    If it's anything like the phone apps, ads are used in free apps (developers need to generate revenue as everybody else). Paid apps usually do not have ads.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast