3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Microsoft Office Starter 2010, also compatibility pack

My cousin had purchased a Dell laptop computer through QVC about a year ago with Windows 7 and it includes Microsoft Starter 2010 but Word doesn't open for her & both Dell & QVC tell her she needs to purchase a license to upgrade it since the trial period has expired
    --- She tells me this is the first time she has tried using Word since she purchased her computer

It doesn't make sense to me that she has to purchase the upgrade . According to http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/starter/ its free and it's not a trial period with an expiration date

Additionally, I found this http://www.microsoft.com/oem/en/prod...id=FlpE0jcJC4q that mentions Microsoft Office 2010 Transition OPK PCs
    --- I don't know what Transition OPK PCs is. What is that all about?
    --- How can I find out if this is what she has?
    --- If this is what she does have, could this be the problem?

While I was typing this, I recall that on older versions of Word, it was possible to delete the normal.dot files, restart the computer and the Word template would be recreated
    --- Is this possible with Word 2010
    --- If so should be considered? How would we go about it especially since I suspect normal.dot wouldn't be the file to search for in the 2010 version

Additional info we are interested in
    --- I have Microsoft Office 2000 and I'm able to work with prior versions of office with a compatibility pack I installed somewhere along the way and I want us to be able to work with Word & Excel with each other
    --- I found this http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downl...aylang=en&id=3
    --- It looks to me like it she should download this onto her computer so she can work with older versions of Word & Excel on her computer
    --- Is this correct?

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I would have to agree with Dell and QVC - if she hasn't bought a licence for Word/Excel or Office then she will need to buy one if she intends to run these. If she has Office Starter installed then she might be able to run those cutdown versions according to the site you pointed us at but the software probably had to be preinstalled when she bought the PC. If the Dell has a rebuild partition then she might be able to reset the hard disk to get back the original software but she is going to lose everything on the hard disk by doing so.

In my opinion, if she can go a year without running Word or Excel on her PC then perhaps she doesn't actually need to use these programs at all. Perhaps the cheapest option for you to both share these types of files is for you both to use GoogleDocs http://docs.google.com/

D
    eleting the normal template is applicable to someone using Word - but she doesn't have it installed. This won't solve her problem. In Word 2010 it probably is called Normal.dotx and can usually be found in %appdata%/Microsoft/Templates (paste this string into your folder path)

Finally, the compatibility pack is only useful for owners of Microsoft Office XP or 2003. She doesn't sound like she has that software.
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you for your advice Andrew.
    --- If we didn't live so far apart I could visit my cousin and personally see what she really has so I'm trying to help her over the phone and through email
    --- She tells me the Microsoft Starter 2010 was already installed on the computer when she bought it
    --- I haven't worked with Microsoft Starter 2010 but I have with Microsoft Starter 2007 and never had a problem with an expiration date on them
    --- I'm wondering whether or not she may have clicked on the update recommendation and now what's happening is that she's always being bugged with doing that but she doesn't know whether or not she has done that

I believe you are right, she doesn't need the Microsoft Office compatibility pack on her computer
    --- I have it on my computer and I interact with others who have Microsoft Office XP, 2003 and 2007 without any problems

I will check out GoogleDocs as that should be ok for her & I
    --- Will I be able to use my Word & Excel documents in GoogleDocs?
    Unfortunately I'm not sure how that will work with the various Microsoft versions I mentioned as I interact with a number of those files with many volunteers at a local non-profit organization I work at and unfortunately many if not all of them are not about to change on how they manage their files
    --- For consistency sake, I'll most likely stay with what we are doing with them

Well while I was typing this she called and told me that when she trys to open a Word document she gets the following message: MS Office 2010 is protected
    --- So I'm going to look into that as it wouldn't surprise me if there is a setting she can do that will allow her to open a Word document and this might be her actual issue she's up against

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    So long as your computer has its own legitimate Office Starter 2010, which I don't think is all that crippled - at least it gives you documents in Word 2010 format - then you might be extremely interested in THIS LINK. You can create that as soon as you have the computer, and it will work on any other computer.

As for the the trouble you are having with your installed copy, I have no idea what the problem is, but it certainly should work if Microsoft wants to sell you the full product, and you have every right to squawk even if it is 'a free sample'. If the sample doesn't work, you can hardly expect the suite to work. MS Office does have at least one competitor, otherwise they'd have a monopoly.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the additional info.
    After talking with her some more now she tells me it was working for her and she thinks the problem might have started after I sent her a jpeg file
    --- I will get to her computer in a couple of weeks and I have to see exactly what she's up against
    --- Right now I'm thinking if renaming the normal.dotm file to oldnormal.dotm and see how that works out
    --- I also found instructions on getting into safe mode to see whether or not an add-in is a possible cause

She also told me she had received a recommendation to upgrade and she either registered or activated the program
    --- I suspect this is the source of her problem.
    --- She made a decision to check out the upgrade feature not realizing it would cost her

I'll get to check out her computer in a couple of weeks and if (I'd like to say when) I get to fix it, I'll post back with the solution

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    My cousin finally sent me the message she gets when she tries to open a Word document
    --- Microsoft Word Starter 2010 cannot be opened. Try again or repair the product in Control Panel
    --- This tells me there isn’t expiration for a trial period. I don’t know how she had determined that to be the case
    --- I suspect that her MSFT Office Starter 2010 program is corrupted
    She found this on the Internet
    Office 2010 Home Student oem 1-PC with CD and COA for Windows for $87.95http://www.buycheapsoftware.com/details~productID~5352.asp
    --- She would have to pay $129.00 to upgrade from her Starter program to a full upgrade through Microsoft recommendation
    --- I haven’t heard of this company and I’m not recommending she order a Microsoft Office program from them yet
    --- I’d appreciate comments & advice on that
    I'm going to visit her next week to see if I can fix her corrupted program
    --- If I can't, I thinks its best to uninstall the Starter program on her computer because my concern is if there is corruption, it could carry over if she follows MSFT's recommendation to the full upgrade
    --- Does that make sense?
    She doesn't want to try Google Docs or any other program

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Home and Student Office is perfectly legitimate and typically can be bought off the shelf, often at a sale price, in any regular store or online. In other words, you can shop around to your heart's content. Just make sure she is buying a packaged product with the packaging intact. Find out the price at Amazon, for example, and look at any flyers for local stores to which you have access.

Incidentally, if you are the same age as your cousin, read the EULA carefully and see if you qualify for the same deal yourself for 'the next time around'.
    Last edited by dogberry; 2012-11-02 at 00:29.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    You haven't said whether your cousin repaired "the product in Control Panel". If she did, what was the result?

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    She says she has tried to do the repair through control panel and it still doesn't work
    --- I'll be seeing her later this week and I need to see exactly what's going on
    --- Talking over the phone or going through email unfortunately results in inconsistent messages
    --- I did ask her to send me screenshots of error messages but it's not happening
    I have repaired Word 2000, maybe even Word 2003, be renaming normal.doc to oldnormal.doc and restarting the computer with success
    --- I found this on the internet for Word 2007 & 2010.
    --- ren %userprofile%\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Templates\ Normal.dotm OldNormal.dotm
    --- ren %userprofile%\Application Data\Microsoft\Templates\Normal.dotm OldNormal.dotm
    --- Unfortunately I can't tell yet which one should apply in her case but I have nothing to lose by trying either one
    --- Either it's repairable or she's going to buy what she needs
    I have also found some instructions on how to determine whether or not there is an add-on issue by going through Safe Mode
    BTY, do you know the global template for Excel 2010?
    --- I might have to fix her Excel also

Thanks
    You can use TeamViewer to see and control her computer as you perform debug.

Jerry

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes I'll look into TeamViewer. Thank you

I just got back from a friends house and he has Windows 7 with MSFT Office Starter 2010
    --- When I opened a new Word document, it opened ok but down in the lower right corner there was an "ad" to upgrade
    --- After seeing that, it looks to me now that she clicked on that and now is "locked" into doing the upgrade
    ------ My cousin had told me how she registered her product and then wanted to activate her product but had to pay the $129.00 to do so
    --- Since I don't have MSFT Office Starter 2010 I couldn't understand why but now that I saw that on my friends computer that makes sense to me
    So now the key is to get her out of "activate & pay" and get back to just the MSFT Office Starter 2010

The looked for the normal.dotm file on my friends computer and couldn't find it. Is that file a hidden file?

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Well I finally got to take a look at her computer.
    Some shortcuts were still on her computer but The Microsoft Office Starter 2010 program was missing
    How it got "deleted" who knows.