Ken Kashmarek

Windows Live Mail 2011 sending photos error 8CCC0003

Running Windows 7 32-bit (current patch level) with above component. All of the following...

Picass 3.9, Paint Shop Pro 9, Microsoft Paint

fail when selecting a photo (jpg file) using the email option, and get error 8CCC003 in WLM.

As part of this process, I have my WLM configured to use my ISP email server (which works fine when I attach photos or insert jpg files directly). It also fails the same way when you select a photo file and use right click to select SEND from the drop down menu. Also, WLM is my default email program (something pointed out in Microsoft posts).

After the email send operation is initiated, when WLM comes up, it opens the Windows Live ID signon dialog. I don't have a Live ID. However, when I close that dialog to let WLM use my normal ISP connection, the generated email gets stuck in the OutBasket with the above error, and all future send/receive operations hard fail until that broken message is deleted.

This computer has XP installed (came with it from the vendor), and WLM 2009. Under that configuration, such email operations work fine as WLM 2009 does not come up with an attempt to use Live ID. The send just runs and the message arrives at its destination.

So, it appears that more recent versions of WLM that use the Live ID login, screw up the message such that it must be deleted, or have a "undocumented" requirement that precludes using WLM for such operations when a normal account uses an ISP email connection.

Anybody else experience this problem or have any workarounds WITHOUT having to resort to using Live ID? Having a Live ID does work (from Microsoft posts) but does expose your messages and files to SkyDrive.

On Picasa help, it is indicated that for this to work, one must use a gmail account or a Google account (where the file is posted to the Google cloud with a reference to the cloud location inserted in the email rather than attaching or inserting the actual file). Also, it is indicated that for Live ID connections, the file/photo is sent to SkyDrive with a reference to the SkyDrive location inserted in the email. This seems overbearing, ignoring normal ISP email services and inflicting my WLM configuration with a bad email message in the OutBasket.

Feedback appreciated. Workarounds?

Thanks
    See the answer in this thread:
    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/w...c-8ab27bf1b971

You may have to get a Windows live Account even if you don't use it for anything else.

Jerry

Ken Kashmarek
    Thanks for the link (for others at least).

I had previously read the information at that link and was totally unsatisfied with ALL of it. It kept pushing WLM as the default mail program as THE solution and accepted getting a Live ID as an appropriate solution. Not the case at all.

As I indicated, I don't want to expose my messages to SkyDrive nor expose any of my photos/files to SkyDrive. Thus, getting a Live ID is OUT OF THE QUESION.

This did work under older versions of WLM and as exhibited by other threads, still works if you revert back to the old version of Windows Mail (the replacement for Outlook Express; it still works). Essentially, it seems that WLM fails to take into account ISP configurations for POP or IMAP mail servers and seems to be forcing users to change rather than supporting what users want or already do.

Input from others still appreciated, especially if someone has found a non-LiveID workaround. If it only wouldn't put the damaged message in the OutBasket (which blocks other send/receive activity).

Thanks
    HI Ken,
    my theory is, if you use something, do it correctly.
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!

Ken Kashmarek
    my theory is, if you use something, do it correctly.
    What does that mean?

Are you saying that to use WLM "correctly", I must use a Live ID? There is nothing "correct" about that. WLM works fine WITHOUT a Live ID. It seems that if anything is NOT "correct" it is Microsoft code in WLM that assumes use of WLM via the afore mentioned applications with the email or send options, will only use Live ID (or require Live ID and access to cloud storage of the photos).

Please explain yourself.

Thanks
    Hi Ken,
    I wasn't intending to be rude, so I'll gladly explain. WLM is like your home or car, you need a key to gain access. If you used a Microsoft account with a strong password, you would really see the good points. WLM Mail Tips.docx

Ken Kashmarek
    Thanks for the interaction. It is appreciated.

I have been using WLM on XP and now Win7, as a possible step forward (?) from my old Eudora7 email client. In my former corporate environment, we used Outlook, and on my home computers, some Outlook Express, used the old Windows Mail once, but have centered on WLM as a possible way to offset some problems with the unsupported Eudora7 client.

That being said, WLM is workable.

you would really see the good points
    Open to learning more, can you indicate what good points I would see by using the Live ID path of WLM. Or, provide web references where I can review these points.

Thanks.

Thanks
    Hi Ken,
    The 'Options' section in my docx file should be self explanatory. Safety.zip

Ken Kashmarek
    By and large, I have almost all of the same options aleady in force (some through ISP, others through firewall/anti-virus) in addition to most of those you selected.

From this entire list of options, I saw nothing specifically related to using the Microsoft Live ID, which is the contention point. That is, with the Win7 version of WLM, applications that invoke the OS set default mail program (set to WLM in my case) using an email option or send option, configure the email to take a path that goes through WLM which requests a Live ID signon. Even if WLM is up and running and signed on to my ISP connection, the Live ID signon dialog still comes up (of course, without a Live ID, that gets cancelled and the email fails to send and moves to the OutBasket, blocking further send/receive activity as these continue to fail even under my ISP signon).

This is not a case of "correct" usage or taking advantage of options. There is a failure.

Ken Kashmarek
    Further update:

When one selects a single photo file (jpg) or multiple photo files, the "send to" operation (chosen from the right click menu for one of the selected files in the list), triggers making a "photo album" that will be saved to SkyDrive. This is why the Live ID logon dialog pops up. This is also why the send operation fails when you have no Live ID. To keep this failed send from blocking other send operations, you MUST delete the offending email from OutBasket.

However, if one adds a non-photo file to the list of selected files for the "send to" operation, then the files are just attached to the generated email, and the Live ID dialog is NOT presented. This send operation does not trigger the SkyDrive photo album storage operation, although photos still trigger the "view slide show" option in the message (similar to what is triggered if you manually attach several photo files). Send of this message now succeeds with the normal ISP connection. Note: before hitting Send in WLM, you can delete the non-photo file from the list (i.e. keep a dummy non-photo file around for just this purpose).

I did not find any option in the WLM options that would eliminate, restrict, or nullify the use of SkyDrive for a list of photo files chosen through a menu "send to" operation or application menu "email" operation (such as with Paint Shop Pro or Coral Paint etc.)

If someone knows of such a control (via registry perhaps), please post it.

Ken Kashmarek
    Update for WLM 2012...

The described behavior is unchanged under this new version (which I have installed).

Ken Kashmarek
    And, for the first time today, I invoked the Photo email icon on the WLM icon bar.

It creates a new blank email message, the contents of which must be filled in.

However, it also brings up the Windows Live ID signon. Of course, having no Live ID, this fails and when the dialog is closed out, filling out and sending the email produces a successful operation with no photo attached or inserted.

A successful operation also occurs when a photo is inserted in the body of the message.

A test with an attached photo also works.

So, why does the "Send To" option with "mail recipient" of other applications fail, when using that path to send an email with a photo?

Ken Kashmarek
    Windows Live Essentials contains a program called Photo Gallery. It works in a fashion similar to Picasa.

In Photo Gallery, if you select a photo or multiple photos, then right click one of the selected photos, you can choose to send a photo email or send an email with photos as attachments. The latter option works just fine WITHOUT invoking the SkyDrive option. This choice also puts up the dialog to select a size for the photos to be converted to BEFORE being attached to the email.

This seems a suitable workaround for the problem that has been discussed.

Ken Kashmarek
    Correction for Photo Gallery:

The photo email selection is an icon at the top of the window (menu bar).

Clicking that icon (after selecting photos) provides the choice of photo email or email as attachments (with the resize dialog).

My bad.