2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

ATI video drivers TDRs and BSODs

I've had more desktops and laptops with ATI based video then Intel or Nvidia. The latter 2 have generally been very stable and problem free, but ATI - specifically the drivers, make me nuts. Right now I've 2 systems with ATI; a 10 year old HP762C with the 2400 HD AGP, and a nearly brand new HP DV7 laptop with the 6770M (switchable from Intel graphics).

I keep the drivers on both up to date. Both have Win 7 fully patched (the old one 32bit, the laptop 64). We've had TDR errors recently on the antique. And now I'm getting TDR errors AND BSOD's on the laptop. Interestingly, on the laptop it takes Chrome V22 to get the TDRs (Chrome uses the dedicated video ram and chip, while FF sticks to Intel video).

This seems to happen in waves. In the past, eventually AMD / ATI would put out a new driver and the problem would fade away for a while, then an update or two later the TDRs would come back. This might be happening again.

BTW, I've never seen anything like this happen with Intel or Nvidia. An old laptop (an HP DV9000) has Nvidia (6000 series) and while it's slow, no TDR's or BSOD's (crossing my fingers). I built a desktop in April or so 2011 also with Nvidia, again no issues.

BTW, after the recent hang of the desktop and the crash of the laptop, I checked the event viewer; not a hint of an app crash or problem, no system issues noted. And the BSOD just told me about the TDR error in the ATI driver (as I've seen it happen so many times before).

In the meantime, I've once again stopped using Chrome on the laptop; it clearly is not compatible with my ATI video drivers.

Any thoughts or comments would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks
    If you've upgraded the GPU driver you may roll it back to the previous one, or uninstall it completely and install the latest one, or simply
    uninstall the current one and replace it with an older driver that is known stable.

GPU drivers don't need to be upgraded regularly unless there is a specific problem on your system, or a well documented problem that requires a fix that
    your system is susceptible to and showing symptoms of.

Faulting or failing hardware can also be a major factor.

I should also point out that there have been issues with bad sectors on hard drives that may cause instablity in a wide range of applications,
    drivers, and other running processes. And that instability can be hard to pin down.
    A thorough check with a diagnostic tool, a hard drive health reporting tool, or even a checkdisk run from a bootdisk to rule out an issue with
    the hard drive is also warranted. A checkdisk with the "R" switch would be among my first choices.
    I've had several instances of "black screens" on my own computer recently that I've , in the end, associated with a corruption of the GPU driver.
    The event viewer did not flag this, only that the computer was forcibly shut down, which was my only recourse at the time.
    Driver components can and do on occasion get corrupted.
    My resolution was to completely remove the driver and reinstall the latest, and that resolved the black screens.

You can also try reseating the GPU card and checking/reseating/cleaning the cable contacts.
    A failing or faulting PSU can be another factor.

Some more info regarding TDR error and potential causes from this Dell website.
    Last edited by CLiNT; 2012-10-19 at 02:53.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    On the laptop I tried to install newer drivers from ATI but basically the installer disappears before doing anything. I've downloaded the official HP ATI driver, the installer fails just after extracting everything but doesn't say why. Obviously on the laptop I can't reseat the video card, etc. The driver currently in use is what it came with several months ago; HP didn't bother to install it's latest before shipping. Maybe I should try uninstalling the current driver before installing the newer one but that is not supposed to be needed.

Thanks
    With regards to the GPU, uninstall the old driver prior to installing any new driver.
    Uninstall the entire ATI program first from the control panels applet, then look in device manager and remove any leftovers.
    Remove the device itself if nnecessary and allow the computer to re-detect upon system restart.

I also recommend the use of a registry cleaner, like CCleaner's, prior to another attempt at installing.
    It's obvious that something got messed up somewhere along the way.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Thanks
    TDR's can be difficult to fix, the best resource I know of is here: http://sysnative.com/forums/entry.ph...roubleshooting

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I tried to uninstall. Did so from Device Manager. Anything in in the apps manager removed as well. Rebooted. System came up in low res. Tried to install both older and newer HP driver packages for ATI for the laptop. Same failure (a visual C dll with many versions fails). Rebooted a couple more times, then it came up like I'd never done anything at all. Though there's no sign of anything ATI in apps manager, yet catalyst control center is operational again.

I'll follow other suggestions and reinstall DirectX runtime.

Thanks
    Did you run a registry cleaner?
    DRIVE IMAGING

Latest Build:

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    After I uninstalled things I used CCcleaner and its registry cleaner.

The part that has me stumped the most; why is the HP ATI driver installer failing on a common Visual C dll. Mind you, the system has many copies and versions of this DLL, and it wouldn't surprise me if sloppy scripting would allow the install script to accidentally see a version that is not compatible with the script.