2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Question Where does Windows Live Mail keep message attachements & inserted files?

Running WLM 2011 on Win7 32-bit (fully patched).

I have determined that WLM uses the following folder:

C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\WIndow s Live Mail\WLMDSS.tmp

as a temporary location for files that are attachments to email messages.

If there are no open emails with attachments, WLMDSS.tmp has no contents.

If you open an email message with attachments, a new temporary folder is created in WLMDSS.tmp with the contents being the attached file(s).

When the email is closed, the recently created temporary folder is deleted. It shows up in the Recycle Bin but can't be opened there, though it can be restored. They stay in the Recycle Bin even after WLM is closed.

But the question remains: where is the picture/file contents kept until the email is opened? Part of the message?

The issue here is that if you want to save these attachments, you must do so while the email is open (Save All under right click of an attachment), or claim them from the Recycle Bin.

I haven't chased down inserted (in the body of the email) pictures/files yet.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    As best I can determine, the attached files and inserted files are kept in a compressed form within the email message files. You can go to the folders for each mailbox and double-click the files. WLM will open and display the file. In my case, I did that with several large email files, in particular one that was 13 megabytes, and it contained 6 photos arranged in a slide show fashion.

Thanks
    Hello, have a look at this. WLM Contacts Database.zip
    Jim.
    May you live as long as you want, and want to as long as you live.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I ran into an unusual problem with WLM 2012 that others might be interested in. It deals with photos inserted into email messages.

I had an older email with 6 inserted photos. I wanted to send part of that content to a friend but not forward the entire message. So, I did a copy from the old email and paste into a new email. Everything that I copied showed up in the new email. I hist Send, and got the message that the picture for the first photo (file) could not be found.

Say what?

I copied, I pasted, the content showed up in the new message, I hit send, and get a file not found message (the send failed yet the message was in the "Sent items" folder, sans the photos).

A Forward operation of the email works just fine (everything gets sent as expected).

When I go to the old email with the six photos, select the first photo, right click and choose Save As, it correctly creates the file with the photo in it. I can use that file to insert into the new email.

When I go to the old email and copy the selected six photos, and paste that to a Word document, the photo content is missing BUT the photos each have a properly sized place holder in the Word file.

When I go to the old email and select one photo, right click and choose Copy, then go to a graphics program (Paint Shop Pro) and choose Paste, PSP finds nothing on the clipboard to paste.

So, WLM 2012 (and I expect WLM 2011 as well) has subsequent copy/paste issues with photos inserted in a message. Only Forward seems to work nicely. The problem may also exist with a received message that has inserted photos.

I expect to be submitting this to Microsoft (with no expectation for results).

Thanks
    Hello Ken,

If the photo is in the body of the message or as an attachment, right click it and save in the usual way, preferably to desktop for ease of access.
    If you select 'Forward' or 'Reply' with the message included, it can be edited i.e. text removed then re attach the photo's however you want before sending it. This will not change the content of the mail message.
    Jim.
    May you live as long as you want, and want to as long as you live.