Lounger
    Thanks

Explorer Navigation bar (Folder view) reaction

In Windows XP when I clicked on a folder in the Folder View, it would automatically expand and show any subfolders under it. Now in Windows 7 it does not expand. I have to click on the plus sign to the left of the folder name. Is there a property I can set that will autoexpand subfolders as XP used to do?

Thanks
    Double click on the folder rather than single click.

Jerry

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Organize or Tools, Folder options, then check Automatically expand to current folder (not the default in Windows 7 as it was in XP):

Windows 7 Explorer – How To Expand To Current Folder Automatically

Bruce

Lounger
    Thanks
    That checkbox has no effect. It acts the same whether its checked or not. The panel on the right "opens" to the folder I click on, but the subfolders of that folder do not expand [display below the folder I click on]. I have to either double click as Jerry said or click the plus sign to the left of the folder. Could it be a registry entry that prevents this behavior?

Thanks
    It works backward to the way you describe; " Click OK to save the changes. From now on whenever you navigate to sub-directories in the explorer pane, the folder hierarchy in the navigation pane will automatically expand to reflect the current folder."

If you have selected that option, when you single-click on a folder in the left (nagivation) pane, the contents of that folder (subfolders and files) appear in the right (explorer) pane, but the folder in the navigation pane does not expand (it will if you double-click, as has been mentioned). If you then click on one of the folders in the explorer (right) pane, the parent folder in the navigation (left) pane will automically expand to the level of the subfolder you clicked on.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    You could also check 'Show all folders' then the tree wil show all folders without having to click on them
    Clive

All typing errors are my own work and subject to patents pending. Except errors by the spell checker. And that has its own patients.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by curiousclive View Post
    You could also check 'Show all folders' then the tree wil show all folders without having to click on them
    That's OK, unless you have a couple hundred folders - then not so much.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows