New Lounger
    Thanks

Invalid dynamic hard disk problem ..!

I recently took my internal hard drive and bought a casing for it and made it external. But when i connected it to my computer the disk management showed it as invalid dynamic. So i went online, read a bit about basic and dynamic and ways to convert the latter into former. I adopted the method of converting through changing "hex" using "HxD". Now when i changed the '47's to '07' , i got back my three partitions without any data loss one of which was system reserve. I do not know how to get the rest back. Please help . i cannot loose the data. I have to get the other three back.
    Total no of partition =6 (including system reserve)
    No. of partitions recovered = 3 (including system reserve)
    No. of partition i need back = 3

PLEASE HELP ASAP.
    Thanks in advance.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    please help..! anyone..?

Thanks
    Have you tried putting it back into the PC? If everything shows up as it should, I would make an image of each partition, so you'll not lose the data if you want to convert it to an external drive.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

New Lounger
    Thanks
    i can't put it back. The PC is packed and gone..! Is there any other way,..?
    Thanks in Advance.

Thanks
    "Before you change a dynamic disk back to a basic disk, note that all existing volumes must be deleted from the disk before you can convert it back to a basic disk. If you want to keep your data, back up the data, or move your data to another volume."

From this link.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jiongs View Post
    What is the limitation that cause you could not covert the other three partitions back?
    From the link in post #5:

"After you convert to a dynamic disk, the dynamic volumes cannot be changed back to partitions. You must first delete all dynamic volumes on the disk, and then convert the dynamic disk back to a basic disk. If you want to keep your data, you must first back up or move the data to another volume...

...If your disk contains multiple installations of Windows XP Professional or Windows 2000, do not convert to a dynamic disk. The conversion operation removes partition entries for all partitions on the disk with the exception of the system and boot volumes for the current operating system...

...Before you change a dynamic disk back to a basic disk, note that all existing volumes must be deleted from the disk before you can convert it back to a basic disk. If you want to keep your data, back up the data, or move your data to another volume."

The key is to backup all existing data first.

Unleash Windows

New Lounger
    Thanks
    looks like you may have gotten into some trouble here... might need to look into some data rescue software if your issue does not get resolved with the conversion.